Print Message

   RE: Yamaha GH1 scale
 From: Ed Sutton
 To: Pianotech
 Posted: 12-05-2017 20:15
 Message: Nate-
I've had good results rescaling several foreshortened scale pianos, adding wrapped strings to the low tenor.
If you have a Windows computer, ScaleRipper is an old shareware program that is easy to use, and lets you substitute wrapped strings.
James Arledge can rescale for you, and probably has scales for GH-1.

Ed Sutton
(980) 254-7413
Original Message:
Sent: 12-05-2017 11:00
From: Nate Reyburn
Subject: Yamaha GH1 scale

Hi everybody,

I'm sitting at a Yamaha GH1 B from the late/mid 80s (448XXXX SN). It has the issue universal to these pianos where the notes on the bottom treble don't tonally match the rest of the instrument. They're producing an offensive "bong" sound. It's beyond what simple needles or anything dissolved in lacquer can fix. This is a scaling problem.

I seem to remember that there's a known scale adjustment that can be done here by changing out some of the bottom tenor bridge trichords for bichords (and agraffes/dampers as well). Does anyone have scaling or other info on this?

Nate Reyburn, RPT


Copyright © 2018-2019 Piano Technicians Guild. All rights reserved.