Expand all | Collapse all

screw collars

  • 1.  screw collars

    Posted 03-02-2018 17:14

    Does anyone know the name of, and where to buy, the cone shaped brass collars that protect the finished wood from the screw head digging into it as it is tightened?  Often found underneath the screw heads on the lid brace above the stretcher on grands.

    Denis Kelly

    San Anselmo. CA

  • 2.  RE: screw collars

    Posted 03-02-2018 19:03
    The trick is to figure out what they are called...finish washers...you might also find them at your local hardware store


    Jim Ialeggio
    Shirley, MA
    978 425-9026

  • 3.  RE: screw collars

    Posted 03-02-2018 20:42
    I think they're called counter sink washers. I have a bunch of them left over when I was working on player pianos years ago. They're made of brass.

  • 4.  RE: screw collars

    Posted 03-02-2018 23:28
    they are called screw ferrules

    "PTG - Expand your Horizon - Share the Vision. Providing Quality Service for Pianos of the World"

     "Good, Better, Best.  Never let it rest. "till the good is better, and the better, best."

    oin us in Lancaster, PA July 11 - 14, 2018 for the 61st Annual PTG Convention & Technical Institute.

     Click HERE  to schedule an appointment or contact me directly below.

    Bill Davis, RPT, SERVP  

    2315 Rocky Mountain Rd NE
    Marietta GA 30066-2113
    CP: 770-778-6881


  • 5.  RE: screw collars

    Posted 03-03-2018 20:46
    George has the correct answer. Two days ago before the wind sheer Nor Easter storm, I tuned the three pianos on the stage and auditorium of a college ,where I have tuned and service their many pianos for years. The 1918 Auto Deluxe player piano on the stage, that I had tuned after my local guild member who only does player piano restorations, needed tuning and one key adjustment in the bass since it has been stored in a dressing room back stage for the last two years. I took the fall board off and one of the screw ferruals that was chrome fell off. Fortunately the stage floor was black and I got out my high powered light and I found where it rolled under a small black side curtain on the stage. That saved me from finding the nearest hardware store. I was tuning in the next State to mine about a 96 mile round trip. I hope their concert tonight went well.


    Robert Highfield
    Lancaster PA

  • 6.  RE: screw collars

    Posted 03-03-2018 23:13
    I believe the correct term is cup washers and there are some nice ones sold by Lee Valley Tools


    James Kelly
    Pawleys Island SC

  • 7.  RE: screw collars

    Posted 03-04-2018 17:12
    Thank you to all who have responded to my query concerning what I have called screw collars. I have attached photos which should clarify what I am seeking. Hopefully the photos will come through with this message.
    Denis Kelly
    San Anselmo, CA

    Sent from my iPadimage1.jpegimage2.jpegimage3.jpeg

  • 8.  RE: screw collars

    Posted 03-05-2018 05:44
    I also have been looking for these "collars". The cup washers offered by Lee Hardware actually suspend the screw above the wood surface. The collars, however, provide almost a bearing for the screw head below the surface of the wood.

    These were commonly used in player pianos, most notibly on the pouchboard of the valve chest. The ones I've seen are nickle plated.

    If if anyone knows where they can be found, I would be interested as well.

    Keith Gramlich

    Keith Gramlich
    East Meadow NY

  • 9.  RE: screw collars

    Posted 03-05-2018 09:55
    The Lee Valley Tools washers and screws are the wrong thing but they could be handy for other things. Anyway I think there may be some player piano supply houses that would have this style. I also know a few techs that do old player work that may have a supply they have hoarded...

    James Kelly
    Pawleys Island SC