CAUT

• 1.  Best way to remove rosin from the bass strings

Registered Piano Technician
    Posted 06-27-2022 23:30
    Hi,
    I have seen enough bowed string technique in piano to like it, but I have never seen it done to the bass strings and what it does to them long term and how or if the rosin should be cleaned up after. 

Does anyone have experience with this?  If the piano needs new strings it will need a new pin block.

Thanks for your help
    Jessica Masse RPT
    Western Michigan University

------------------------------
    Jessica Masse RPT
    Western Michigan University

• 2.  RE: Best way to remove rosin from the bass strings

Posted 06-28-2022 09:51
    Alcohol is the only thing I know.  The higher the percentage, the better. Try to get as close to 200 proof as you can.

Maggie Jusiel, RPT
    Athens, WV
    (304)952-8615
    mags@timandmaggie.net

• 3.  RE: Best way to remove rosin from the bass strings

Posted 06-28-2022 11:01
    Hi,
    In my violinist days I cleaned up excess rosin from strings with alcohol. I kept those individually packaged pads from the drug store (they are available in boxes of 100 or something).
    Scott

• 4.  RE: Best way to remove rosin from the bass strings

Posted 06-29-2022 00:26
    I know a violinist and a cellist who may have ideas. Would like to see some pictures to get an idea. Usually too much liquid anything on a wound string will kill it- even excess moisture after a flood. I had to deal with a number of pianos that had sat in rooms that had been flooded out. No direct water contact with the strings but they all died probably due to rust and corrosion. Why do you think the piano will need a new pin block ? Did rosin get in that area ? What are the pin torques as measured with an inch lb torque wrench ?

James Kelly
    Owner- Fur Elise Piano Service
    Pawleys Island SC
    (843) 325-4357

• 5.  RE: Best way to remove rosin from the bass strings

Posted 06-30-2022 07:58
    Greetings, 
      I wouldn't use any solvents, as they will carry some dissolved rosin down between the core and winding, killing the string.  
      I am not sure removing it is the route of least problems, but if you had to do something, I would first vacuum off any loose stuff, and then using a. brass bristle brush, brush the strings length-wise first, with vacuum going, and then, finally brush perpendicular to the string.  You don't want any more between the coils than you have to have. 
    Regard,s 

• 6.  RE: Best way to remove rosin from the bass strings

Posted 06-30-2022 14:01
    I have been watching this discussion and I am a little surprised that, except for Ed, there does not seem to be much pushback on this. I would NEVER allow bowing of a bass string on our pianos. I don't believe one can clean all the resin out of the windings and alcohol or other solvents will only increase the chance of increased problems.  I think there comes a time we need to say no. I am not willing to sacrifice the quality of a piano for 99% of the users to satisfy the whims of 1%. Either we are the experts on piano care and longevity - stewards of a large and expensive inventory - or we are not. Sometimes money has to do the talking; send them a bill in advance for string replacement and other associated costs.

Rick Florence RPT
    Gilbert AZ

• 7.  RE: Best way to remove rosin from the bass strings

Posted 06-30-2022 15:14
    I heard back from a violinist who checked with some others about rosin residue. Seems like a soft toothbrush followed by alcohol wipes and immediately wiping strings dry using a swiping motion. However she said the wound strings are steel wound and others are gut...

I know things happen but the piano is a percussion instrument and not a string instrument. I think a bill for a full set of new wound strings plus the labor to remove the old ones, install, chip tune, multiple tunings to stabilize the new strings sent by registered mail to the genius that experimented with the bow will put an end to the nonsense. If you need to control access to the pianos consider performance locks and lid locks. Another idea is have a designated piano that all of the experimenters can use to do their research/experiments on.

Another thing to be aware of is the practice of taking the lid hinge pins out and removing the lid ala the 5 Browns. Happened at a local music school next person came along lifted the lid on an S&S D and launched it.....

James Kelly
    Owner- Fur Elise Piano Service
    Pawleys Island SC
    (843) 325-4357

• 8.  RE: Best way to remove rosin from the bass strings

Posted 07-03-2022 06:05

The most effective way to take rosin off of strings is to soak a cheese cloth in a little bit of nail polish remover. Afterwards, take the cloth and rub it against the string. The rosin should come off momentarily

Jasm Charl