CAUT

• 1.  Bluthner: no glides

Registered Piano Technician
    Posted 02-26-2023 10:45

Hello all,

Recently tuned a 9' Bluthner from 1935. I pulled the action to remove a key for ivory repair and noticed there were no glide bolts (yes, I looked underneath too). I'll be returning to do a little regulation-how do you bed the key frame? Is it a matter of sanding high spots, like bedding the front rail of a typical grand?

------------------------------
    Scott Cole, RPT
    rvpianotuner.com
    Talent, OR
    (541-601-9033

• 2.  RE: Bluthner: no glides

Posted 02-26-2023 11:37
    Hi Scott,

Yes. Sand. But I’m interested in the symptoms; are the keys knocking? I’ve done two of these and one was warped enough that I cut a few curfs to make the frame more flexible. (It would have taken far too much sanding. I think there was water damage)

The curfs were similar to more modern curfs. Easy to do. Someone with more expertise may say differently, but curfs can be made deeper, or left shallow as needed, and it worked for me.

Sent from my iPhone

• 3.  RE: Bluthner: no glides

Posted 02-26-2023 11:48
    Scott,

I failed to mention that I took the stack and keys off so I could better assess the warpage, but that was a royal pain! (Patented Bluthner action) so if I were to do it again I’d probably not do that. Hopefully yours can be fixed with sanding and/or a few curfs, proceeding carefully.

Sent from my iPhone

• 4.  RE: Bluthner: no glides

Posted 02-26-2023 18:01

I think Jim meant kerfs not curfs. I am wondering if using marking fluid would help in finding the high spots which could be in multiple places. Maybe there should be some flex in the rail because of the weight/size of the keysticks, top action . The bad thing about sanding is you cant put it back .Also not a bad idea to check the keybed for flatness and level. Keep in mind a 1935 piano was likely subjected to all sorts of environmental changes that could cause warpage. 

James Kelly
    Owner- Fur Elise Piano Service
    Pawleys Island SC
    (843) 325-4357

• 5.  RE: Bluthner: no glides

Posted 02-26-2023 22:00

Thanks James (kerfs). Speling isn't my forte.

James Busby RPT
    Mt Pleasant UT
    (435) 851-3201

• 6.  RE: Bluthner: no glides

Posted 02-27-2023 09:11

No glide bolts are found in lots of European pianos, and yes it is a pain sometimes.  In addition to, or instead of, kerfing the frame, consider gluing on some veneer where the balance rail is not contacting, and sand that as needed. 

It's interesting that the piano has the Bluthner patent action, I have read that was discontinued by 1918.

Ken

• 7.  RE: Bluthner: no glides

Posted 03-14-2023 07:57

That's essentially what I did on a Bosendorfer with no glides.

Peter Grey Piano Doctor 

Peter Grey
    Stratham NH
    (603) 686-2395
    pianodoctor57@gmail.com