Pianotech

• 1.  Bottom Covers - Again

Registered Piano Technician
    Posted 05-04-2023 19:36

Customer has a really nice Yamaha C7 piano in her living room, in not the best location. But, like with most pianos, they tell us where they're going to live. So, this one is not going to be moved. Lots or possible reasons for the instability this piano exhibits but on my last visit I noticed that the AC/Heater vent on the wall at floor lever, about four feet behind the bench while seated and playing, blows right across my feet and up under the piano. I'm thinking that a bottom cover, as opposed to a string cover, would be the best solution for this. Today's question: Who makes bottom covers? I mean besides Dampp-Chaser. Or... would it just simpler to invest in a couple yards of wool felt and staple it in myself?

------------------------------
    Geoff Sykes, RPT
    Los Angeles CA

• 2.  RE: Bottom Covers - Again

Posted 05-05-2023 01:14

Hi Geoff,

You actually make the bottom cover, Dampp-Chaser just supplies the materials.  Easy enough to do, just cut it out by laying the giant rectangle on the closed piano lid and cut.  The material they send for the bottom cover is acoustic speaker cloth, which is obviously what you need.  Considering it came with the tacks, velcro, instructions, the price I paid to Brooks seemed worth it.  Once I've done another one or two undercovers I might go price the material myself. 

Nicholas Litterski, RPT RPT
    Austin TX
    (512) 573-8920

• 3.  RE: Bottom Covers - Again

Posted 05-05-2023 02:07

Try a heating vent deflector. Inexpensive ones are clear plastic that magnetically attach to the existing vent. Mounted on the floor edge of the vent, it would direct the air flow straight up the wall, or straight out into the room-not to the side.

It's basically a 1/4 of a circle the width (sometimes adjustable) of the long side of the vent. Also available are replacement vents in which you can direct the air flow to where you want it to go. There are wood looking ones if one needed to match wall paneling. 

$6.00 at Home Depot. A lot cheaper than an undercover.... !

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Frost-King-Heat-and-Air-Deflector-HD5/202318547?source=shoppingads&locale=en-US&pla&mtc=SHOPPING-BF-CDP-GGL-D26P-026_002_AIR_CIRC_ACC-NA-NA-NA-PMAX-NA-NA-NA-NA-NBR-NA-NA-NEW-PMax&cm_mmc=SHOPPING-BF-CDP-GGL-D26P-026_002_AIR_CIRC_ACC-NA-NA-NA-PMAX-NA-NA-NA-NA-NBR-NA-NA-NEW-PMax-71700000097492027--&gclid=Cj0KCQjwr82iBhCuARIsAO0EAZzefbRFS63V-TudzY3gD6XQJXwVvFFJWlqPDaahLLDZvZgsUyEJlhIaAnXXEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Michael Hagen RPT
    Rohnert Park CA

• 4.  RE: Bottom Covers - Again

Posted 05-05-2023 13:51

The deflector may be a doable option. I know they work because I have one on every vent in my home to compensate for previous owners bad choices of vent placement. Mine deflect the air across the floor to get it into the room instead of up the wall where, in most rooms, it just goes up the inside of the curtains. The idea that they could also be used for exactly the opposite reason, to deflect the air up the wall instead of across the floor, just hadn't occurred to me. Good idea. 

Geoff Sykes, RPT
    Los Angeles CA

• 5.  RE: Bottom Covers - Again

Posted 05-05-2023 12:42
    Hi, Fabric stores sell speaker grill fabric by the yard it is the same thing.  Why do we need to place a piano in harms way?  I don't think this will be an very effective solution.  Can deflectors be added the heater or at the piano?--
    Sent from Gmail Mobile