CAUT

• 1.  Easy positionable bumpers on stage doorways to protect pianos moving through

Registered Piano Technician
    Posted 01-06-2023 01:59
    Has anyone made a good design for easily positionable bumpers to line the sides of doorways with minimal clearance to protect pianos moving on and off a stage?  

It's often the case that I'm not there every single time a piano is being pushed through, and so it may be getting done by students setting up for an event or class, or faculty, or student work study stage managers and tech crew students in the middle of set changes during performances.  Even with piano covers, I forsee accidental dings occurring.

I'm looking to design something simple and fast to attach to the jambs, like something that velcros in place, or like a small foam roller that clips onto a bracket unobtrusively mounted, that people will want to use, and it will protect the instruments from accidental damage.

The doors open upon a hallway, and sometimes the pianos need to make a sharp turn while still halfway over the threshold, a more complicated maneuver that not everyone has done before solo.

This is at Humboldt State University.

All suggestions welcome.  Thank you.

------------------------------
    Adrian Carcione RPT
    (805) 823-3231

• 2.  RE: Easy positionable bumpers on stage doorways to protect pianos moving through

Posted 01-06-2023 04:01
    A piano "barn" backstage in an arts center I have worked at lined all three sides of the interior with a thick strip of carpet about 8" wide (glued on), at the height where the lid would rub against it. Possibly for a door frame a similar 8" strip of thick carpet could be mounted on the inside, with velcro to keep it away from the jamb, and another piece of velcro to swing it around to cover the jamb. 

• 3.  RE: Easy positionable bumpers on stage doorways to protect pianos moving through

Posted 01-06-2023 06:46
    Hi Adrian,

As you may recall, at CalArts we got Instrument Covers to add "pool-noodle bumpers in a sleeve" that are attached with Velcro to the perimeter of their regular quilted/padded covers for our performance pianos. That way, it is not a question hoping that non-tech piano pushers ADDING something protective to the doors (which, I hear tell, they may not always do!).

Congrats on you new position at Humboldt!

Alan

Alan Eder, RPT
    Herb Alpert School of Music
    California Institute of the Arts
    Valencia, CA

• 4.  RE: Easy positionable bumpers on stage doorways to protect pianos moving through

Posted 01-06-2023 11:44
    I attached a piece of 2x6, probably about 8-10" long, covered with carpet, to each side of the door jamb between the piano garage and the stage. As the jambs are steel, I drill and tapped for machine screws to attach. I placed them just below the level of the lid. It was easy to figure out where that was, since the jambs were clearly marked by many, many instances of lids rubbing them.

I did this a few days after to delivery of a new D, which a faculty member had pushed through those doors, removing some paint from the lid (sigh).  I had planned to do it, and was just a day too late. 
    Regards,
    Fred Sturm
    http://fredsturm.net
    www.artoftuning.com
    "I am only interested in music that is better than it can be played." Schnabel