Pianotech

• 1.  Highest-quality tuning lever tips?

Registered Piano Technician
    Posted 07-14-2022 08:40

Hi group, 
    I've been impressed with the performance of the tuning lever tips I purchased from BKB before they closed shop in 2019. To clarify, these BKB tips are still going strong, and offer what I consider to be excellent performance after several years of use.  

Can anyone recommend another source of highest-quality tuning tips compatible with Hale style threads? Or, for that matter, highest-quality tips comparable with another style of lever (Jahn, Schaff, etc.)?

To me, your experience with the product is more valuable than manufacturer's promotional material, of which there is plenty. 

Thanks! 

------------------------------
    Kate Redding

• 2.  RE: Highest-quality tuning lever tips?

Posted 07-14-2022 09:06
    I've seen FaceBook posts from Randy Cassotta regarding tips he is making/marketing, which he designed to emulate BKB's achievement. Plus, Randy has a line of high quality tuning levers.
    There's another tech who has a somewhat unique tuning lever design, and he's developed a tip optimized for Yamaha tuning pins. Sorry, can't recall his name.
    Reyburn sells Taffjin tips which are quite good (I own & use several), but not BKB nice.

Patrick Draine RPT
    Billerica MA
    (978) 663-9690

• 3.  RE: Highest-quality tuning lever tips?

Posted 07-14-2022 17:27
    hello Kate,
    i have used the Jahn tips for a long time and i like them best. They still have a very good fit after all these many tunings.
    Peter

Petrus Janssen
    Peachtree City GA
    (678) 416-8055

• 4.  RE: Highest-quality tuning lever tips?

Posted 07-15-2022 12:07
    I agree with Peter that Jahn tips are quite nice. They are compatible with Charles Faulk levers. The tip has male threads so that may limit which levers they will work on. I have never used the BKB tips, though I have sampled them. Bummed to learn they closed shop.

Joe Wiencek
    NYC

• 5.  RE: Highest-quality tuning lever tips?

Posted 07-18-2022 08:52
    I have a Faulk hammer and the tip was feeling a little loose to me, so I got a BKB tip a few years ago. It fit a little better to me but it still seemed a bit loose. I pulled out an old Jahn hammer that someone had given to me and the tip felt like it fit much, much better than any previous tip I have had in my 20 years of tuning. It was a bit of a revelation. So that is the hammer/tip I've been for the past year or so. If I could put the Jahn tip on the Faulk hammer, I might..but I might not because the Jahn hammer is a little lighter and possibly even a little sturdier, if not as beautiful as the Faulk.

What kind of hammer are you using?

Marc Abram RPT
    Highland MD
    (202) 468-8270

• 6.  RE: Highest-quality tuning lever tips?

Posted 07-19-2022 07:58
    Elaborating on my original post, there are a few factors I like about the BKBs which are now criteria for other tips I try in the future:  

1. Material, stainless steel. The tips have held up well over several years, and the bore hasn't changed noticeably.   
    2. Finish, matte. No chips on the tip, and no flaking chrome littering the pin field. 
    3. Machining. The threads are tough and have held up well to frequent tip changes. 
    4. Female threads fit my hammer of choice, currently the Levitan classic lever available from PianoTek. 

To those who responded here and privately - thank you! 

​​​​

Kate Redding

• 7.  RE: Highest-quality tuning lever tips?

Posted 07-19-2022 09:06
    PS - I also like Jahn very much. I didn't mention because they don't have the threads Kate is looking for.

Maggie Jusiel, RPT
    Athens, WV
    (304)952-8615
    mags@timandmaggie.net

• 8.  RE: Highest-quality tuning lever tips?

Posted 07-19-2022 09:36
    I have a #3 BKB tip on a Faulk hammer, a #2 Hale on another and a #2 Jahn on another. I find it easier to carry three levers than to be changing tips. Each has a different length head & handle too. I prefer a 5 degree head.
    What I've done with each tip thought, is to use a Dremel grinding stone to slightly enlarge the top of the machining (inserted from the threaded end), it usually took two stones since the metal is so hard and chews up the stone. This way the tip grabs deeper onto the pin and not just at the top of the pin. Any 'rocking' on the pin is from the end of the tip and not the top of the pin. I get a better feel for the pin from a lower grip. Pin torsion is controlled better too. The rocking action, slightly loose at the top, reduces the chance for flag-poling or bending.

Regards,

Jon Page
    mailto:jonpage@comcast.net
    http://www.pianocapecod.com