Pianotech

• 1.  hitch pin removal

Registered Piano Technician
    Posted 04-26-2023 16:47
    I will need to remove a few broken hitch pins from a Steinway upright. My first thought was to drill out the broken pins, but on closer inspection I feel the pins are driven beyond the plate on the soundboard side. I’m thinking to punch out the old pins, and wondering about what type of punch or any advice on removing the old pins.

Joe Wiencek
    NYC

• 2.  RE: hitch pin removal

Posted 04-27-2023 16:52

Definitely punch them out from the backside, Joe. First, use a hammer to drive the pins flush to the back of the plate, to wake them up and get them moving. Then, use a robust Starrett punch to drive them through the plate. Lesser punches will bend. Driving Steinway hitch pins out requires much force.
    David G. Hughes, RPT
    Baltimore Chapter

------------------------------
    David Hughes RPT
    Vintage Case Parts
    Glyndon MD
    (443) 522-2201

• 3.  RE: hitch pin removal

Posted 04-27-2023 17:09
    David,
    Thank you. Any chance of success driving the pins out from the front? The piano is strung, and the plate is not going to be removed.

I have read that steel reacts slightly more with temperature changes than cast iron, so I’m wondering if applying dry ice to to plate/pin area prior to punching might help?

Joe

• 4.  RE: hitch pin removal

Posted 04-27-2023 17:25

Joe,
    Driving them out from the front would be a tough row to hoe, methinks. First, you'll have to take the factory bend (lean) out gently with a punch to straighten them. They will still have a slight kink, which may be reluctant to pass through the hole in the plate.
    I would think any perceived advantage of applying the dry ice would quickly get sinked by the massivity of the plate and be useless. What's required here is force... and luck.
    I was replacing Steinway hitch pins on every rebuilding job. They can be bears to drive out, though occasionally they yielded in friendly fashion. 
    David G. Hughes, RPT
    Baltimore Chapter

David Hughes RPT
    Vintage Case Parts
    Glyndon MD
    (443) 522-2201

• 5.  RE: hitch pin removal

Posted 04-27-2023 20:32
    David,
    I see your point about the futility of applying cold to the plate and pins. The pins are broken at the plate, perhaps I can file them flush and hope to punch from the front. If not, I may opt to drill new holes below the original pins. I prefer the idea of drilling 1/2” of cast iron, rather than 1/2” of steel pins. And shim as needed to keep the waste end bearing equal to its neighbors.
    Much appreciate your input!

Joe

• 6.  RE: hitch pin removal

Posted 04-27-2023 22:44

If you're going to knock it out the back, have some method in place to catch/retrieve the pin. The last thing you need is to have a small piece of steel wedged against the sound board.

Steven Rosenthal RPT
    Honolulu HI
    (808) 521-7129

• 7.  RE: hitch pin removal

Posted 04-27-2023 23:05
    Thanks Steven. 
    Yes I had thought of that. 

Joe

• 8.  RE: hitch pin removal

Posted 04-29-2023 00:37

Funny how we were just emailing about this!  I'll take your advice, David, and postpone this particular step until a future rebuild (considering I am just doing my first full bellly job and have plenty of work through without this fine step of replacing the hitch pins.)

Duncan Peterson, RPT
    Provo, UT
    www.TheGildedPiano.com