Pianotech

• 1.  keyslips

Registered Piano Technician
    Posted 04-25-2023 10:41
    I watched jazz pianist Jason Moran on TV playing what looked like an S&S “D” last Saturday. There was no keyslip. I wondered why. It reminded me of a comment Norm Neblett once made while observing Rubinstein perform in LA. As AR sat down he pulled back with both hands on the ends of the keyslip. He had learned to not trust it. One way to straighten warped keyslips, which I don’t approve, is shimming between keyslip and action frame. This adds unnecessary friction to una corda pedal movement. What are your recommended solutions for keyslips interfering with key ends?

Bob Anderson, RPT
    Tucson, AZ

• 2.  RE: keyslips

Posted 04-25-2023 10:45

If there are guidepins in the bottom surface of the keyslip, going into the front edge of the key bed, bend the middle one's bottom outwards, toward the player. It will still go vertically into its hole, but the keyslip's top edge will now lean away from the key fronts.

------------------------------
    William Ballard RPT
    WBPS
    Saxtons River VT
    802-869-9107

"Our lives contain a thousand springs
    and dies if one be gone
    Strange that a harp of a thousand strings
    should keep in tune so long."
    ...........Dr. Watts, "The Continental Harmony,1774
    +++++++++++++++++++++

• 3.  RE: keyslips

Posted 04-26-2023 06:04

I use the large thumbtacks supplied by Dampp-Chaser with their bottom cover kits. The large, polished head keeps any added friction to a minimum.

Mark Dierauf RPT
    Concord NH
    (603) 225-4652

• 4.  RE: keyslips

Posted 04-28-2023 15:00

Just learned this trick: You can slightly bend a keyslip screw and when tightening the screw the slight bend will push it away from the key frame.

Tim Foster
    New Oxford PA
    (470) 231-6074