Pianotech

• 1.  Magnetic pickup

Registered Piano Technician
    Posted 05-04-2023 21:14

Does anyone use a magnetic pickup for tuning?  Inventronics makes one for the Accutuner.  I'm considering trying one.  Anyone have one they wish to sell?  Advice or suggestions welcome.
    Thanks very much.
    Paul McCloud, RPT

------------------------------
    Paul McCloud, RPT
    Accutone Piano Service
    www.AccutonePianoService.com
    pavadasa@gmail.com

• 2.  RE: Magnetic pickup

Posted 05-04-2023 21:53

Hi Paul, I haven't tried it but I've looked into it a bit. I contacted Inventronics a few years ago and asked about it as it's not clear whether it's a piezo pickup or a mic attached to a magnet and I didn't really get a clear answer. I also wonder about getting the signal through the plate as it might act as a filter, distorting the information. I do currently have a lavalier mic that clips onto a kitchen magnet with a hook on it but I only use it in really noisy situations.
    I like the idea of a piezo, they can be had at a much lower price than the one we're discussing. Such as this one. But I haven't tried it. It can be attached straight onto the soundboard with "museum" putty that will come off of the soundboard leaving no residue.
    I did have one friend who got one from Inventronics and liked with his Accu-Tuner. I use Veritune and will get around to trying it at some point. 
    I would also like to hear from people who are using them. There are a lot of mics and pickups that can be had for much lower prices than what the inventronics one goes for so I'd like to know what the advantage is. They seem to be out of stock at this time.

Steven Rosenthal RPT
    Honolulu HI
    (808) 521-7129

• 3.  RE: Magnetic pickup

Posted 05-05-2023 09:22
    I haven’t used mine for some time, Paul, but back in the days when I was tuning Yamaha electric grands for bands regularly, it was very useful. It made it possible to work during sound checks and all the attendant noise of concert prep.
    I still carry it with me because I never know when I may need it. I bought it from Inventronics.

Bob Anderson, RPT
    Tucson, AZ

• 4.  RE: Magnetic pickup

Posted 05-05-2023 09:42

I've never seen one of these.  Do you have a photo?  The Sanderson website doesn't show it. 
    I once tuned for a school when the teacher was absent.  The substitute told everyone to just practice their own parts independently.  So they did.  I had to lean my head into the piano to even hear it at all.  I wish I'd had the pickup..

Paul McCloud, RPT
    Accutone Piano Service
    pavadasa@gmail.com

• 5.  RE: Magnetic pickup

Posted 05-05-2023 10:55
    I haven’t figured out how to send a photo to the listserve, Paul, but it’s something like a 2 to 3 inch square with a cord and plug to connect it to the Accutuner.

Bob Anderson, RPT
    Tucson, AZ

• 6.  RE: Magnetic pickup

Posted 05-05-2023 11:14

How does it attach to the piano?  Do you have to move it each time from string to string, or can you tune several strings before moving it?

Paul McCloud, RPT
    Accutone Piano Service
    pavadasa@gmail.com

• 7.  RE: Magnetic pickup

Posted 05-05-2023 13:28
    It is magnetized and sticks to the string frame (aka ‘plate’), Paul. I don’t think I ever had to move it while tuning.

Bob Anderson, RPT
    Tucson, AZ

• 8.  RE: Magnetic pickup

Posted 05-09-2023 00:09

I had the Inventronics one when I had the SAT IV. I found it useless. It barely picked up anything...I tried it on the strings, on the plate, on the plate and/or strings next to every single note I was tuning...no use. I have since sold the SAT IV and magnetic pickup.

Cobrun Sells
    cobrun94@yahoo.com

• 9.  RE: Magnetic pickup

Posted 05-09-2023 01:23

I called Inventronics this morning and asked if they were still selling them.  They said the pickups are on back order because they can't get the parts to make them.  They wouldn't tell me how they worked, but I guess that would give away their secret.  They said it mounts on the plate, so it must sense vibrations through the plate rather than through the air.  I just can't imagine how strong vibrations are through the plate to be useful, but apparently some tuners find success using the pickup when the ambient sound is too loud. 

Paul McCloud, RPT
    Accutone Piano Service
    pavadasa@gmail.com