Pianotech

• 1.  Old wurlitzer vs new yamaha

Posted 05-03-2023 11:34

Greetings everyone.  I am a new Piano Technician and my church asked for my advice.  A newer Yamaha Grand (GC1) was donated to the church by a widowed member.  The church currently has an old Wurlitzer Grand (C173HPE) which is beautiful, and to look at it no one would believe when it was manufactured (probably 1930s). Both pianos are the same size, however they currently have room for only one Piano on stage.  I suggest keeping the new Piano (Probably a no brainer) however l would still like to have more professional opinions.
    Best Regards 
    -Brian

------------------------------
    Brian Graves
    Leander TX

• 2.  RE: Old wurlitzer vs new yamaha

Registered Piano Technician
    Posted 05-03-2023 12:56
    Those 1930’s Wurlitzers were good instruments. So a lot has to do with the tone, power, and action of each instrument. How does the Yamaha sound and play compared to the Wurlitzer? Maybe put the other piano in the choir room.

Wim

Sent from my iPhone

• 3.  RE: Old wurlitzer vs new yamaha

Posted 05-03-2023 15:13

Hi Brian,

Welcome! In answer to your question, I would get the opinions of a few people and take a vote. The pianist and music director for starters. Is it possible to set up both pianos in the same room and do a side by side comparison? What you're looking for is two things. One, which piano feels good and sounds better in that room. Two, the overall condition of them. Which is going to hold up better over time?

If you can get feedback from the involved people on the first and then come up with your own assessment for the second, that should give you a good idea of which direction you want to move. I have a feeling both you and they will agree, but if not, it could be a good chance for you to explain some of the technical things to people who've never heard them before. 

Good luck!

Benjamin Sanchez, RPT
    Piano Technician / Artisan
    (256) 947-9999
    www.professional-piano-services.com

• 4.  RE: Old wurlitzer vs new yamaha

Posted 05-03-2023 15:41

The Wurlitzer model number you referenced indicates a Korean built Samick product, most likely from the last quarter of the 20th century.

Floyd Gadd RPT
    Regina SK
    (306) 502-9103

• 5.  RE: Old wurlitzer vs new yamaha

Posted 05-03-2023 23:48

I encourage clients, especially institutions, to consider the future; 10, 20, 30 years. How will the instrument hold up? What are maintenance costs going forward?
    I often use the car analogy, 90 years old (probably with all or mostly original parts) vs. 10 years old. Except that a piano has even more moving parts than a car...
    Like you, I think it's a no brainer.

Steven Rosenthal RPT
    Honolulu HI
    (808) 521-7129

• 6.  RE: Old wurlitzer vs new yamaha

Posted 05-05-2023 23:36

I agree with Floyd. This definitely sounds like a Wurlitzer made by Samick. I would research that first…then you can ALL make a more educated & informed decision. For example, the Samick (or Young Chang…also a likely possibility…I've replaced those bad (growing/cracking) brackets on some Wurlitzer grands..) pianos do have some long term issues that are worth factoring into the decision. Although I am not the biggest fan of these little tiny Yamaha grands…the scaling in particular…they really are great little pianos overall and if the sound, touch & projection is all good for the church, that just might be the "deal breaker".  Worth checking into. 

Kevin Fortenberry
    Longview, TX 75602
    806-778-3962

• 7.  RE: Old wurlitzer vs new yamaha

Posted 05-04-2023 01:40

While I do agree with you; the newer Yamaha is probably a much better choice, please re-check the serial number. C173HPE sounds like a model number (173 CM or 5' 6" High Polish Ebony).  You might have missed the serial number under the piano on the treble side or stamped on the soundboard.

Suggest that they sell the Wurlitzer in a church rummage sale or raffle.

Blaine Hebert RPT
    Duarte CA
    (626) 795-5170

• 8.  RE: Old wurlitzer vs new yamaha

Posted 05-04-2023 01:51

Blaine makes a good point. The Wurlitzer C173 is a model still being made in Asia by Wurlitzer's current owner, Gibson. If it has a high gloss finish it is much newer than you think and the serial number might not correspond to the old Wurlitzer serial number scheme.
    Even so, I think I'd go with the Yamaha over an Asian knock off even if it is a little bit bigger.

Steven Rosenthal RPT
    Honolulu HI
    (808) 521-7129

• 9.  RE: Old wurlitzer vs new yamaha

Posted 05-07-2023 13:33

I agree with Blaine and Steve.

Peter Grey Piano Doctor 

Peter Grey