Pianotech

Expand all | Collapse all

pipe clamp for grand lyres: pipe length?

• 1.  pipe clamp for grand lyres: pipe length?

Registered Piano Technician
    Posted 04-23-2023 12:19

I've heard about using a reverse-mounted pipe clamp to get grand lyres apart for repair. I picked up a clamp for 3/4" pipe--can anyone recommend a good pipe length that will work with most lyres? I'm not afraid to go a little short and use wood blocks if needed.

------------------------------
    Scott Cole, RPT
    rvpianotuner.com
    Talent, OR
    (541-601-9033

• 2.  RE: pipe clamp for grand lyres: pipe length?

Posted 04-23-2023 13:34

Pipe length about 24" should work but it depends on how big the clamp is and the clearances you will need for the clamps. I measured my Yamaha G2 lyre from the bottom of the pedal box to the top of the lyre mounting block. Using then iron pipe clamp as a spreader will require sliding the clamp down the pipe with the jaws facing out. You need to be careful where you clamp and to make sure the wood/finish is protected from the jaws especially on a polyester finish. I have a number of bar clamps made by Stanley and Wagner that can be used as spreaders. The jaws are soft and it is easy to squeeze the handle to spread or clamp. Two of these would do the job easily 

James Kelly
    Owner- Fur Elise Piano Service
    Pawleys Island SC
    (843) 325-4357

• 3.  RE: pipe clamp for grand lyres: pipe length?

Posted 04-24-2023 11:19

Good for thought … You can use long clamps to do small work but you can't use short length clamps in on long jobs. You can also switch out different lengths of puppies using the same clamps. 

Les Koltvedt
    Marietta GA
    lkpianos@gmail.com

• 4.  RE: pipe clamp for grand lyres: pipe length?

Posted 04-24-2023 07:18

Scott, I found a short, hydraulic bottle jack works best.
    David G. Hughes, RPT

David Hughes RPT
    Vintage Case Parts
    Glyndon MD
    (443) 522-2201

• 5.  RE: pipe clamp for grand lyres: pipe length?

Posted 04-24-2023 07:23

David,

Hittin' the bottle, eh...to loosen up? 😉 

Peter Grey Piano Doctor 

Peter Grey
    Stratham NH
    (603) 686-2395
    pianodoctor57@gmail.com

• 6.  RE: pipe clamp for grand lyres: pipe length?

Posted 04-24-2023 12:35
    Scott,
    I’m sure the 3/4” pipe will work, though I have found a 1” pipe to be much stronger. If you buy a 10’ pipe or 2, you can have it cut, so you’ll have one shorter and one longer clamp, which could be really useful for gluing side panels or tops on uprights. I would err on the longer side so you have more room to add wood spacers to protect the finish as needed.

Joe

• 7.  RE: pipe clamp for grand lyres: pipe length?

Posted 04-24-2023 16:36

I have some Jorgensen "EZ Hold II" bar clamps that reverse like that as needed, and have large padded jaws that do not mar things up. Not as powerful as a bottle jack, but all you need is assistance as you tap things apart. 

Don't forget to cut out the wedges first. That will help you quite a bit.

Peter Grey Piano Doctor 

Peter Grey
    Stratham NH
    (603) 686-2395
    pianodoctor57@gmail.com

• 8.  RE: pipe clamp for grand lyres: pipe length?

Posted 04-24-2023 20:00
    Peter,
    How are you cutting the wedges first? With a chisel? I'm trying to visualize cutting them while the posts are surrounded by the top and bottom blocks of the lyre. 

Joe

• 9.  RE: pipe clamp for grand lyres: pipe length?

Posted 04-24-2023 21:58

Joe,
    The wedges can be partially removed by drilling them. You use an appropriate sized bit (a little less than the width of the wedge) and drill downward, not too far, all the way across the wedge. Then you can change to a smaller sized bit and drill somewhat deeper, to accommodate the tapering V slot. This can give some freedom to loosen the wedges in the lyre columns' tenons. In most cases the V slot that is cut in the lyre columns' tenons will have to be enlarged a tad anyway, so if the drilling has cause some enlarging of these slots you're still okay. Of course, new wider wedges will have to be fabricated and installed when eveything is glued together. Always let the new wedges run wild above the top block surface, and then mill them flush with a router. The wedges within the pedal box can typically be left a little long without interfering with pedal throw.
    David G. Hughes, RPT
    Baltimore Chapter

David Hughes RPT
    Vintage Case Parts
    Glyndon MD
    (443) 522-2201

• 10.  RE: pipe clamp for grand lyres: pipe length?

Posted 04-25-2023 07:32

In addition to David's advice, I use a moto tool with a small carbide bit to chew away at the remaining stock of the wedge after drilling. I will try to go as deep as possible. Does not take very long. When it's all out and apart I clean up whatever remains of the wedge and file the sides of the cutouts pretty smooth and straight. Cut new wedges on the band saw...fit them using the belt sander...re-assemble...done.

Peter Grey Piano Doctor 

Peter Grey
    Stratham NH
    (603) 686-2395
    pianodoctor57@gmail.com

• 11.  RE: pipe clamp for grand lyres: pipe length?

Posted 04-25-2023 11:25
    Thanks for the visuals David and Peter!

Joe

• 12.  RE: pipe clamp for grand lyres: pipe length?

Posted 04-25-2023 22:26

A few weeks ago I pressed out lyre columns with regular clamps.
    I cut cubes of wood just smaller than the tenons, and placed them on the tenons.   A piece of 2 x 4 goes over top of that. Now, clamps can be applied to press the tenons out of the pedal box or the lyre capital. Use cauls to protect the piano parts, of course.
     Removal of the wedges beforehand with drills and chisels is critical.

Jurgen Goering

• 13.  RE: pipe clamp for grand lyres: pipe length?

Posted 04-26-2023 15:18
    I didn’t see anyone mention using heat or vinegar/wallpaper remover to soften the glue between tenon and capital or bottom piece. Is there not a concern the tenon will pull out extra wood from the lyre body when removing for new wedges?

Joe Wiencek

• 14.  RE: pipe clamp for grand lyres: pipe length?

Posted 04-26-2023 21:31

Joe, 
    If the joint(s) have the least amount of wiggle you should not need any sort of glue solvent to get the joint apart mechanically. If there is no wiggle the joint is probably okay and should not need prying apart and repairing.
    Most of the lyres I took apart for regluing could be knocked apart with a rubber hammer. I did not need to resort to the bottle jack often.
    If there's movement, the joint(s) will come apart with patience, persistence, and the not-so-gentle persuasion of a rubber hammer.
    Be aware that Asian lyre joints are more difficult to separtate than American lyre joints, because the tenons are tapered and square. You really need to remove the wedges in these lyres before you can knock them apart. American tenons are typically cylindrical and easier to get apart. Charge twice as much to disassemble and reglue an Asian lyre vs. a Steinway lyre (as one example).
    David G. Hughes, RPT
    Baltimore Chapter

David Hughes RPT
    Vintage Case Parts
    Glyndon MD
    (443) 522-2201

• 15.  RE: pipe clamp for grand lyres: pipe length?

Posted 04-27-2023 16:24

Thanks everyone for many helpful tips! If there isn't a class on lyres/pedals this year, hopefully someone can do one next year in Reno?

On a similar subject: I just serviced two older S&S lyres/pedals. On one, I used the newer Steinway plastic bushings, and on the other I used new felt. Actually, I might have used the plastic on one, but I couldn't get the bushings onto the axle. Any preferences on either one?
    I'm guessing most of you will go with felt...

Also, one of the above had leather washers, the other rebuilt at some point with felt balance rail punchings. I used leather in both. Standard practice?

Finally, I was advised by Mike Reiter to dispense with the new felt blocks Steinway uses under the pedals; I made my own ravioli for both, which really wasn't very difficult. (Steinway no longer sells the ravioli.)

Scott Cole, RPT
    rvpianotuner.com
    Talent, OR
    (541-601-9033

• 16.  RE: pipe clamp for grand lyres: pipe length?

Posted 04-27-2023 16:57
    Scott,

You can also bush the pedal axles with ecsaine impregnated with paraffin (a tip I read from Ed Sutton, who ascribed authorship to Roger Jolly.)

I’ve also seen felt punchings on the sides of the axle, but they usually get chewed up readily. I think your inclusion of leather was wise.

Did Mike Reiter give a reason for changing the felt stop blocks with the raviolis? Too much impact noise? Or…?

Joe Wiencek

• 17.  RE: pipe clamp for grand lyres: pipe length?

Posted 04-27-2023 18:33

I like ravioli especially if it is fried like they make in St Louis.  I would think that the felt gets hard and dried out over time causing noises etc The ravioli was a traditional part in the pedal box but maybe it is hard to source or costs more to make. I have been noticing the cost of parts and tools going through the roof just as shipping costs. I think I might get the materials to make some leather punchings and raviolis while I can afford them...

James Kelly
    Owner- Fur Elise Piano Service
    Pawleys Island SC
    (843) 325-4357