Pianotech

• 1.  Plastic keytop chip filler

Registered Piano Technician
    Posted 11-18-2022 21:36
    Hi all, I feel like to read something once upon a time about a filler that worked for plastic keytop chips.  What's your solutions for pianos with 1or 2 plastic keytops with chips out of them?

------------------------------
    Matteo Crudo, RPT
    DC Piano Co.
    dcpianos.com
    Berkeley, Ca.

• 2.  RE: Plastic keytop chip filler

Posted 11-18-2022 22:06
    I've had good results using Acrylikey from Pianotek. It's a kit ($70) that has all the materials needed. Instructions included.

Lyle Hiorns

• 3.  RE: Plastic keytop chip filler

Posted 11-19-2022 07:22
    The problem with AK II is that it darkens over time, from white to beige.  I wonder if CA glue would be hard enough. I'll find out; I just filled a dent in the side of an ivory
    It is impossible to mix their white tinting powder into GluBoost.

Regards,

Jon Page
    mailto:jonpage@comcast.net
    http://www.pianocapecod.com

• 4.  RE: Plastic keytop chip filler

Posted 11-19-2022 08:19
    Thanks for bringing that up Jon. I forgot to include the Acrylikey powder works well with Gorilla Glue's CA. It's similar in viscosity to other thick CA's.

Lyle Hiorns

• 5.  RE: Plastic keytop chip filler

Posted 11-19-2022 10:27
    Hi all, I've tried Acrylikey before on a plastic, it melted the plastic keytop while curing.  Luckly it was my piano, be careful trying it on a customer's piano. Now the plastic was probably an older style plastic formula, but how many different plastic variations have been used over the years for key tops? What about a plastic bonding, thick epoxy with a white / yellow  tint? Has anybody tried that?

• 6.  RE: Plastic keytop chip filler

Posted 11-19-2022 13:36
    I tried a repair with white MarineTex epoxy paste. It stayed white and hard but the margins collected dirt and left a dark 'ring' around the repair. Getting the air bubbles out is very difficult, too. I ended up recovering.  I'll have to try the white AK II powder w/ GluBoost CA glue.

I wish GB made a white, their black is great for finish repair, I guess they can't get the white powder to blend either.  I've heard that baking powder (or is it baking soda) is good to add to CA for gap filling. I don't know how tough it would be though.

Regards,

Jon Page
    mailto:jonpage@comcast.net
    http://www.pianocapecod.com

• 7.  RE: Plastic keytop chip filler

Posted 11-20-2022 15:28
    Lyle,

You are referring to using the CA glue as a replacement for the monomer liquid in the AK kit, correct? This is interesting.

As to Jon’s comment about baking soda (yes, soda, not powder,) I have used it with CA for filling stripped screw holes with good success. It cures very fast and hard too, though I imagine it might be too brittle to withstand impacts from fingers on keytops?

Joe Wiencek
    NYC

• 8.  RE: Plastic keytop chip filler

Posted 11-20-2022 15:43
    Hi Joe,
    Yes use a thick CA glue instead of AK II's monomer liquid. I have only used the Gorilla CA for keytop chip repairs and can't speak to other brands.

• 9.  RE: Plastic keytop chip filler

Posted 11-20-2022 08:52
    It's been years, but I have used shellac sticks to repair cigarette burns on plastic organ keys with decent results.

John Gallen
    OWNER
    S Windham CT
    (860) 428-6045
    1040pianos@gmail.com

• 10.  RE: Plastic keytop chip filler

Posted 11-20-2022 11:48
    John, ya shouldn't have been smoking a cigar while tuning!  ;}   I'll check out shellac sticks..Thanks,.  
    -Matt Crudo, RPT