Pianotech

Expand all | Collapse all

Removing a Broken Fallboard Screw

• 1.  Removing a Broken Fallboard Screw

Registered Piano Technician
    Posted 05-18-2023 21:21

Hi all,

I recently worked on a 1915 Kranich & Bach grand. Awful piano with lots of problems, but nice clients. As I was putting everything back together for the final time, the right fallboard screw broke off at the head. See the attached pictures. Thankfully everything was completed so I don't have to worry about this for a bit (hopefully), but may have to deal with it in the future. My question is, how would I go about removing the fallboard next time? Any ideas?

------------------------------
    Benjamin Sanchez, RPT
    Piano Technician / Artisan
    (256) 947-9999
    www.professional-piano-services.com

• 2.  RE: Removing a Broken Fallboard Screw

Posted 05-18-2023 21:58

If the other side is free, you might be able to get the fallboard out.  It might also bind while you're doing it, ding the inside of the arms, etc.  Then you might have to drill it out if that doesn't work.  If you can get the fallboard out, you can use a Dremel to cut a slot on the end of the screw. 
    Any time you have a brass screw in a brass fitting, be careful not to tighten it very much at all.  They'll easily get stuck.  Just snug it up so it doesn't make a rattle.

Paul McCloud, RPT
    Accutone Piano Service
    www.AccutonePianoService.com
    pavadasa@gmail.com

• 3.  RE: Removing a Broken Fallboard Screw

Posted 05-19-2023 10:38
    Tough one.
    Depending on the thread friction, if the screw is protruding slightly, you might be able to to get to turn out a thread or two. I would try and grab it with my linesman pliers as they are long enough and have a very solid square end. You will only get a small amount each time you grab it but when it's another thread out, many other ways become possible.

• 4.  RE: Removing a Broken Fallboard Screw

Posted 05-19-2023 01:34

Benjamin,
    Most hardware stores should carry a selection of left-handed drill bits.   A 1/8" left-turning drill bit will quickly remove this.  Your only problem will be adequately indenting the screw to get the bit started in the center.

Blaine Hebert RPT
    Duarte CA
    (626) 795-5170

• 5.  RE: Removing a Broken Fallboard Screw

Posted 05-19-2023 06:58
    Benjamin

The screw is probably brass. With a small sharp chisel try to scribe a line in the top of the screw, deep enough to get a small thin screwdriver blade to turn the screw. 

Another thing you can try is to use the smallest drill, (probably 1/16") you can find that is used in a power screwdriver, and carefully drill out the screw. There is even an extension to put on the drill bit. The reason you want to use a power driver is because it is thinner and easier to use to get in that small space you're working with.

Good luck.

Wim 

• 6.  RE: Removing a Broken Fallboard Screw

Posted 05-19-2023 09:20

All of these are good appoaches but if you can get a slot started with a chisel or thin cutting wheel on a dremel you may be able to back out the screw enough to get a needle nose vise grip or even a needle nose pliers. Failing that drilling it out or using an easy out may be your plan B.

I often had that problem on new pianos we had to prep.. The screws where nice brass but really junk soft metal   that enlarged the slot or phillips slot when a screwdriver was inserted. It is a good idea to have a stash of this type screw in your kit assuming you can find a fit.

James Kelly
    Owner- Fur Elise Piano Service
    Pawleys Island SC
    (843) 325-4357

• 7.  RE: Removing a Broken Fallboard Screw

Posted 05-19-2023 14:16

Benjamin, first thing that comes to mind is the same as for a broken agraffe -- an EZOut.  Trouble is, I don't know if they come in a small enough size.  Try a local hardware store.  An example is:  https://www.amazon.com/IRWIN-HANSON-Spiral-Extractors-53545/dp/B001D1FXDE  (You might also need to purchase a long small-diameter drill bit considering the location of the screw).  Regards, Norman.

Norman Brickman
    Potomac Piano Service
    Potomac, Maryland
    potomacpiano@verizon.net
    https://potomacpiano.com
    (301) 983.9321

• 8.  RE: Removing a Broken Fallboard Screw

Posted 05-19-2023 22:15

I have successfully used left hand bits for this purpose numerous times. The advantage is the you are doing your business already in the direction you want the screw to go (rather than tightening with a right hand bit). It will often come out simply with this activity. But if not, at least you're not making it tighter.

Peter Grey Piano Doctor 

Peter Grey
    Stratham NH
    (603) 686-2395
    pianodoctor57@gmail.com

• 9.  RE: Removing a Broken Fallboard Screw

Posted 05-20-2023 03:25

The first thing I'd try is to attempt get the fall board out of the piano as suggested by Paul. If you can do that you have a lot more options that aren't fraught with damaging the finish etc. Once out you can probably back it out by turning the other end of the screw to where you can get a better purchase on it with pliers or cutting a slot. It's really hard drill out in the position it's in now and a long drill bit that thin is likely to break (I'd get 2 or 3). Also, once out, you can remove the brass fitting from the fall board and put it in a vice to work on.
    Those soft brass screws are prone to bending, if one is bent, I don't put it back in when I reinstall the fall board because of the likelihood of it snapping. Fall boards will generally work fine temporarily without the screw.

Steven Rosenthal RPT
    Honolulu HI
    (808) 521-7129

• 10.  RE: Removing a Broken Fallboard Screw

Posted 05-20-2023 06:33

If you take a very small screwdriver (such as one you might use for adjusting drop screws) and sharpen it to almost a knife edge, you should be able to embed it just enough into the remains of the brass screw (with light impact) to get enough purchase on it to turn it out. That would be my first line of attack before drilling.

Peter Grey Piano Doctor 

Peter Grey
    Stratham NH
    (603) 686-2395
    pianodoctor57@gmail.com

• 11.  RE: Removing a Broken Fallboard Screw

Posted 05-21-2023 00:52

I ran into this problem. I believe I was able to find an easy-out small enough to do as some suggested (or a left-handed drill? Don't remember.) But the main problem you'll have is seeing what you're doing, and for that I used a head-mounted, lighted magnifier: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01H8808H6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1   This was extremely helpful.

Prior to purchasing the above, I had a small LED magnifier I used to have a look at the problem, something like this: https://tinyurl.com/2k426dpp    Mine was much smaller than the one shown and used to look at mushrooms in the field. These things are handy for piano work; mine is always in my bag.

I taped around the metal with painter's tape to protect the wood, and I had to file the broken screw to get enough of a flat surface so I could then get an easy-out going. I believe I first used a small, regular drill bit to start the hole, then the easy-out, working slowly and carefully by hand: no power tools.

Don Dalton
    Chester VT

• 12.  RE: Removing a Broken Fallboard Screw

Posted 05-21-2023 01:07

Don Dalton
    Chester VT

• 13.  RE: Removing a Broken Fallboard Screw

Posted 05-21-2023 10:07
    I carry an assortment of taps so I can chase the threads before putting a new screw in.

Les Koltvedt
    (404) 631-7177
    LKPianos.com

• 14.  RE: Removing a Broken Fallboard Screw

Posted 05-22-2023 08:35

Les,

You're a metal guy anyway. Of course you'd have tools for that!  😉 

Peter Grey Piano Doctor 

Peter Grey
    Stratham NH
    (603) 686-2395
    pianodoctor57@gmail.com

• 15.  RE: Removing a Broken Fallboard Screw

Posted 05-22-2023 15:46
    I would try a pencil with an eraser.
    Use like a screwdriver or put the pencil in the cordless drill and try and get it to back out. 
    If the eraser is slightly hardened, even better.

• 16.  RE: Removing a Broken Fallboard Screw

Posted 05-23-2023 11:20
    What an interesting idea.

Joe Wiencek

• 17.  RE: Removing a Broken Fallboard Screw

Posted 05-23-2023 20:19

If it works while someone is watching, you are a genius. My experience with many, many, broken screws, sometimes the threads are worn and the screw is loose in the hole. I have poked at them with screw drivers and some turn. If you can see a whole thread, you can probably grab it with one more turn. 
    Also you could take the eraser out, paint the face around the screw with mold release and make a custom epoxy tool, filling the pencil end with the thick epoxy. Form fitted. 

Keith Roberts
    owner
    Hathaway Pines CA
    (209) 770-4312