Pianotech

• 1.  Scale Ripper

Registered Piano Technician
    Posted 02-01-2023 12:29
    Hi,

I'm getting ready to restring my piano.  I have carefully catalogued all string diameters from the original strings.  I also input all speaking lengths into the Paulello typogram to see what improvements could be made, especially in the low tenor.  Lastly, I want to input all the information into Scale Ripper to see if any of the numbers could be significantly improved.  After inputting all speaking lengths in mm, I went to fill in "C" (core diameter in mm).  At this point I'm a little confounded.  This portion only allows two characters.  For example, my lowest tenor string diameter is 1.3mm but the program only allows me to input "1.".  I thought that perhaps the calculation was after string size, but it still does not allow half sizes since that would be four total characters (including the decimal).  

If you are familiar with Scale Ripper and have any suggestions, please let me know what I'm doing wrong.  Thanks!

------------------------------
    Tim Foster
    New Oxford PA
    (470) 231-6074

• 2.  RE: Scale Ripper

Posted 02-01-2023 13:25
    I'm not familiar with Scale Ripper but there are a couple other options: Tremaine Parson's PScale and Arno Patin's Abacus.

Patrick Draine RPT
    Billerica MA
    (978) 663-9690

• 3.  RE: Scale Ripper

Posted 02-01-2023 13:33
    TIm,
    Scale Ripper core diameters are in mils, not mm.

John Rhodes
    Vancouver WA
    (360) 721-0728
    jrhodes@pacifier.com

• 4.  RE: Scale Ripper

Posted 02-01-2023 13:43
    Well that makes sense, thanks John!

Tim Foster
    New Oxford PA
    (470) 231-6074

• 5.  RE: Scale Ripper

Posted 02-01-2023 13:53
    In my opinion none of the available software is sufficient for a well thought out re-scale. Just getting the tension even is just the beginning. From there you got different tensile strengths of different materials and brands. You learn a lot by breaking wire. 

None of them even talk of proper proportion of single, bichords, trichords, let alone the option to calculate the proper ratios. WmB.White talks about that for reference. 

Regards,
    -chris

• 6.  RE: Scale Ripper

Posted 02-01-2023 16:43
    I would recommend you talk to John Schienke (and order the strings from him)

Have a great February everyone

Allan Sutton, m.mus. RPT
    www.pianotechniquemontreal.com

• 7.  RE: Scale Ripper

Posted 02-01-2023 17:11
    Is this in reference to rescaling, or buying Paulello wire?

Tim Foster
    New Oxford PA
    (470) 231-6074

• 8.  RE: Scale Ripper

Posted 02-01-2023 18:26
    Rescaling and buying.

No doubt, learning about rescaling must be a fascinating subject but where I am now (how old I am now probably) I profit from someone having practiced that passionately full time all his life. John Schienke. He is so helpful. He'll tell you as much (or as little) as you want. You'll learn a lot and you'll be certain not to make expensive mistakes in the learning process.

Good luck !

Allan Sutton, m.mus. RPT
    www.pianotechniquemontreal.com

• 9.  RE: Scale Ripper

Posted 02-02-2023 21:24
    Chris, I like the various YouTube vids that you have been doing. I agree that there is no ultimate string scaling software and string scale is only part of the whole picture. However, techs have to start somewhere and Scale Ripper is free and allows Techs to get their feet wet and at least start to grasp the concepts. I know you started with a string scaling program and then ultimately went on to develop your own spreadsheet which likely gave you more control regarding whatever you wanted.

I know the S&S bought the original Atari Scaling program from Dr Sanderson most likely just to have more information because I'm inclined to doubt that they would change much even though a Stein B note 21 plain wire has only about 120lbs of tension. Flabby and harder to set the pin. But, hey, its a S&S

Also looking at things in the Paulello Typogram is enlightening. This gives us more information to ponder or try out. There are many in the Paulello camp these days. I no longer do much rebuilding so have not yet experimented with Paulello but it certainly makes sense in concept.

Any time we can have a little more information about anything is helpful provided that we can consider things rationally as to what may be correct (or not). Or, somewhere in between

All the best! Tremaine

Tremaine Parsons RPT
    Georgetown CA
    (530) 333-9299