Pianotech

• 1.  Squeaky center pins

Registered Piano Technician
    Posted 11-18-2022 11:56
    I tuned a samick SKG-175 a few days ago with its attendant pinning issues. There was a significant but tiny chirp on F3. I was pulling the stack off for other issues and noticed quite a bit of corrosion on the capstans. Thinking polishing them would help with the chirp. Did so. Reassembled. Chirp gone. Text later that night, chirp back now also F#3. Pull stack, remove whippen which had been previously repinned at whippen rail flange. Pin was snipped at wrong end leaving pointed end to rub on adjacent center pin. Pin was loose in birdseye and loose in one leg. Repinned properly. Now three days later, still no chirp.
    I have never heard this type of chirp coming from a center pin. Hopefully I solved it.

Stewart Skouson RPT

Sent from my iPhone

• 2.  RE: Squeaky center pins

Posted 11-18-2022 13:40
    I've never heard of that either but it makes sense. Thanks for sharing! If it comes back keep us informed.

------------------------------
    Benjamin Sanchez, RPT
    Piano Technician / Artisan
    (256) 947-9999
    www.professional-piano-services.com

• 3.  RE: Squeaky center pins

Posted 11-19-2022 08:30
    I have observed this on a couple of occasions such as when a pin has wandered out far enough to graze its neighbor, or the parts themselves have simply gotten too snuggly with one another. VERY difficult to diagnose! You did well Stewart!

Peter Grey Piano Doctor

Peter Grey
    Stratham NH
    (603) 686-2395
    pianodoctor57@gmail.com