Pianotech

• 1.  Teflon Bushings & Verdigris

Posted 07-24-2022 09:00
    I worked on a 1967 M the other day and the center pins had verdigris on their ends. The action was a little sluggish so I treated the hammer, rep lever & rep flange centers with CBL. That freed things up. I forgot to check the jack centers but repetition was not a problem. Someone along the way (manufacture?) probably dipped the pins in something to cause the verdigris. So verdigris is not limited to felt bushings, I guess.
    A puzzlement!
    ------------------------------
    Regards,

Jon Page
    mailto:jonpage@comcast.net
    http://www.pianocapecod.com

• 2.  RE: Teflon Bushings & Verdigris

Registered Piano Technician
    Posted 07-25-2022 10:09
    Jon, 

These are solid Teflon bushings?! I'm beginning to wonder if the real source of this problem is the tubular metal action rails...? SS is the only maker with this significant problem, and the only maker with copper alloy action rails...hmmm.  Add moisture...

Peter Grey Piano Doctor

Peter Grey
    Stratham NH
    (603) 686-2395
    pianodoctor57@gmail.com

• 3.  RE: Teflon Bushings & Verdigris

Posted 07-25-2022 10:40
    Don't need to add moisture, it's right on the water, not far from their dock.  I see green gunk on the hammer and rep rails all the time.

I'm working on a S&S D which will get a new action. I have the Kluge keyset and I'm planning on changing to WNG flat rails.

Regards,

Jon Page
    mailto:jonpage@comcast.net
    http://www.pianocapecod.com

• 4.  RE: Teflon Bushings & Verdigris

Posted 07-31-2022 11:31
    I thought nothing should be applied to teflon bushings. Perhaps someone repinned to try to remove clicks caused by teflon bushings or applied "tallow" or grease. The Steinway Logic booklet I posted sometime back stated that Steinway boiled their action parts in paraffin to protect them against moisture. It is not clear when that practice was ended but maybe after we had better HVAC systems. I will gladly repost the Steinway Logic booklet which also explains the accelerated action

James Kelly
    Owner- Fur Elise Piano Service
    Pawleys Island SC
    (843) 325-4357

• 5.  RE: Teflon Bushings & Verdigris

Posted 07-31-2022 22:02
    Center pins and with plating are dissimilar metals. Brass is a pot metal. Formulas of pot metals vary and cause all sorts of different problems such as expanding action brackets. Brass made with recycled copper from batteries can have sulfuric acid, depending on the year. 1968 ????

Keith Roberts
    owner
    Hathaway Pines CA
    (209) 770-4312