Pianotech

Expand all | Collapse all

Vacuum Cleaner

• 1.  Vacuum Cleaner

Registered Piano Technician
    Posted 11-02-2022 00:39

Hi all,

Ever since I started my business I've always used my client's vacuum cleaner anytime I need to clean out the piano. However, there have been a few instances lately where either the vacuum is so old and weak that it barely functions, or the nozzle is so big I can't get it to fit where it's supposed to go. 

Two questions. First, do you use your own vacuum, or do you make do with the client's, even when it's barely useable? 

Second, if you use your own, what do you use? I'm hoping to find something that's fairly small and portable, has good suction, has a relatively thin hose / attachment, and doesn't shoot everything it sucks out of the piano all over the room. (If you don't know why that last requirement is in there, bless you, you've lived a happy life.) 

Thank you in advance!

------------------------------
    Benjamin Sanchez, RPT
    Piano Technician / Artisan
    (256) 947-9999
    www.professional-piano-services.com

• 2.  RE: Vacuum Cleaner

Posted 11-02-2022 03:11
    Hi Benjamin. This is what I have used for a very long time. Highly recommended:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B003FVLGZ4/ref=ox_sc_act_title_4?smid=AFAGM2K2OIRAD&psc=1

-Phil Bondi

• 3.  RE: Vacuum Cleaner

Posted 11-02-2022 07:16
    Same vacuum for me. But I paid around $140 for mine. That was 8-10 years ago, before the current folks in power took over. 

John Formsma
    New Albany MS

"Sneak up on optimal."
    --Ron Nossaman

• 4.  RE: Vacuum Cleaner

Posted 11-02-2022 06:45

I have a Metro Vac-n-Blo.  Very compact and powerful (4hp)

• 5.  RE: Vacuum Cleaner

Posted 11-02-2022 08:15

• 6.  RE: Vacuum Cleaner

Posted 11-02-2022 08:58
    I also use the Metrovac Vac N' Blo 4hp. Excellent compact vacuum, expensive and worth the money. I keep an extension cord with it, and use this bag. It's a tight fit: vacuum, hose, brush attachment, extension cord.

This vac combined with Supply88's soundboard dust remover is a great combination.

In the past I tried to use battery powered vacuums, wanting the freedom of no outlet in the client's home. They worked but not enough suction, and a fully charged battery wouldn't last beyond two pianos in a day. Wouldn't last at all if I forgot to charge it the night before.

Lyle Hiorns RPT

• 7.  RE: Vacuum Cleaner

Posted 11-02-2022 12:26
    I've had many vacs but the latest and greatest is the Metro V-N-B, search for the best price. Get a cloth bag, it makes retrieving vac'd-up parts simpler, I speak from experience.

Regards,

Jon Page
    mailto:jonpage@comcast.net
    http://www.pianocapecod.com

• 8.  RE: Vacuum Cleaner

Posted 11-05-2022 18:33
    Noise level? Blower function?

Sent from my iPhone

• 9.  RE: Vacuum Cleaner

Posted 11-03-2022 05:16
    Benjamin, if you want to try my Hoover Portapower vacuum out at our next meeting it will be there. I used to have a metro vacuum, but I'm much happier with the Hoover.

Brandon Robertson RPT
    Gardendale, AL

• 10.  RE: Vacuum Cleaner

Posted 11-03-2022 06:39
    I use something similar to this: https://www.amazon.com/Shop-Vac-2021000-Collapsible-Multifunction-Accessories/dp/B004UQVQ0I   A Shop-Vac Hang Up Mini, so slightly bigger than the one shown. It works great and I've had it for years.

I never want to ask the customer for anything needed to do my job.

Don Dalton
    Chester VT

• 11.  RE: Vacuum Cleaner

Posted 11-03-2022 19:13
    I see that others have recommended the Metro Vac n Blow, and I agree
    that it's a great vacuum. I use the model VNB-7B, which is 1.17 HP I
    think. Others said they use the 4 HP model, but I find this one to be
    very good for almost everything. These vacuums are great for blowing
    out actions. Earlier this year I bought one of their smaller models and
    regretted it. It didn't have enough power and it used paper bags, which
    I thought was sucky. The VNB-7B cost $269 I think - worth every dime I
    paid.

• 12.  RE: Vacuum Cleaner

Posted 11-05-2022 00:35
    Gonna put in a good word here for the Orek XL handheld vacuum....

I've been very happy for the most part with my Orek XL handheld, which I bought at the start of 2022. Has a Hepa filter, and paper bags that catch and hold dust very well. Previous vac was DirtDevil that lasted ~20 years. Bearings were finally going bad on it. Orek has lots better suction. Standard size tools came with it, but are augmented by a computer cleaning set of small attachments purchased long ago. Also long ago, I replaced the original hose that came with computer set with cross-woven reinforced hose to keep it from collapsing. The Orek can have the hose attached to either in- or out-put ports, but it only locks into place on the input. The shoulder strap is comfortable.
    Downsides have been few. The electric plug is backwards to what I grew up with, i.e. the large prong on the left. And it can overheat if the computer brush and small hose are used for too long. When overheated, the unit just shuts off and must cool for 5-10 minutes before resuming with no problems. The bags are easy to change, hold quite a bit, and cost around $1 each.
    The Orek is a bit larger than the DirtDevil was, so I had cause to replace and upgrade my entire cleaning toolbox, which became part of upgrading the professionalism of my entire tool and supply box setup.

I stopped trying to use customer's vacuums when Dustbusters came out. Give me a good old Kirby any day though!

Dwight D Denzer, RPT
    Dwight's Piano Works
    Springfield, IL

• 13.  RE: Vacuum Cleaner

Posted 11-06-2022 10:46
    When I started j business almost 15 years ago, I had recently worked for a disaster restoration company that specialized in mold remediation.  That was when I was introduced to HEPA filtration devices.  

Ever since, I ALWAYS purchase a vacuum that has the ability to use a quality HEPA filter.  I do not want to spread any rodent  airborne nastiness to my clients or catch any of them myself.

These filters area generally more expensive but well worth it for the safety protocols that we should all follow.  

I ended up with a nice portable Ridgid shop vac that rolls around nicely, that has the capability to use a bag and a HEPA filter.  It is easily carried in one hand and is not a big tank style shop vac.  The down side?  Not being easily able to retrieve those pesky cloth rail punchings that get inadvertently sucked up.  It is also rather noisy.

I also bought the smaller diameter hose kit and a cone style nozzle that won't suck the punchings up.  Works great! I can easily wrap the hose and cord around the handle and carry it in one hand.

Ridgid shop vac
    Model#: WD4070