Pianotech

Expand all | Collapse all

Very interesting 1916 Steinway with five legs. Can't get the action out.

• 1.  Very interesting 1916 Steinway with five legs. Can't get the action out.

Posted 11-19-2022 16:31
    Greetings,

I recently purchased a 1916 Steinway Model O with the strangest case I've ever seen.  I have to admit it was the case that got me.  First, does anyone know any information about this piano serial number 179393.  I got info from Steinway only in that it was based on sketch 336 but also indicates F509.  The sketch is of a 1835 piano that looks just like this one but has three legs instead of five.  When you order a Steinway, how does the sketch relate to the final product? What does F509 specify?

Secondly, though rebuild in 1996, it hasn't been played for 10 years or more and the hammers are very hard.  I tried to get the action out but have been unsuccessful.  Unscrewing the cheek blocks loosens things the they seem to be attached to the 5" or so fall board behind.  At first, I though the curved upper fall board would come off but it is rabbited into the case so that's not the solution.  What am I missing.  See the photos attached:

Thanks
    Tom Brantigan
    Sacramento Chapter

------------------------------
    Thomas Brantigan
    Folsom CA
    (410) 371-1617

• 2.  RE: Very interesting 1916 Steinway with five legs. Can't get the action out.

Posted 11-19-2022 21:26
    maybe you need to partially close the fallboard and see if it lifts out after it clears some sort of slot. Sometimes there are screws in cheek block that go through the cheek blocks into the rim or they are screwed into the keybed at an angle. It had to be taken out to be rebuilt as well as place the felt under the fallboard. Look  into the space between key 1 and key 88 and the cheek block with a bright light. If you have an inspection scope you may be able to snake it by the fallboard to see how it attaches. I think F509 may be a part number stamp or the action model stamp I have seen it before

James Kelly
    Owner- Fur Elise Piano Service
    Pawleys Island SC
    (843) 325-4357

• 3.  RE: Very interesting 1916 Steinway with five legs. Can't get the action out.

Posted 11-20-2022 01:40
    There is no typical fall board.  The lid has a vertical board that covers the keys like a harpsichord. 

Tom Brantigan 
    All strange wordings come to you from Siri!

• 4.  RE: Very interesting 1916 Steinway with five legs. Can't get the action out.

Registered Piano Technician
    Posted 11-20-2022 09:13
    Mr. Brantigan
    I worked on one of these many years ago. After some reflection and the lifting of Sunday morning brain fog, I think it may be just like some Steinway consoles. The key upstop rail is screwed into the rear of the cheek blocks and the fallboard is hinged to the upstop rail. To remove the whole assembly the rear of the cheek blocks have to lift up first using the fallboard to lift the upstop rail over the sharps then sliding forward. Having the fallboard partially closed gives just enough clearance with the cornice.  I think I used paraffin wax to protect the case sides during removal and re-assembly. My recollection is that I sat there looking dumb in front of the piano owner for about half an hour before I figured it out.

Karl Roeder
    Pompano Beach FL
    -------------------------------------------

• 5.  RE: Very interesting 1916 Steinway with five legs. Can't get the action out.

Posted 11-20-2022 11:02
    If the lyre is attached with wood screws, maybe someone put it on with screws that are too long, and the screws are going through the keybed into the keyframe.

• 6.  RE: Very interesting 1916 Steinway with five legs. Can't get the action out.

Posted 11-20-2022 14:32
    The too long screws is a common thing but also check any of the screws used to mount the legs. Threaded bolts can also be too long. Now that Karl has mentioned it I recall some really strange things have been done . One Story and Clark console I encountered had all sorts of surprises like no lid hinges. Many of the case parts had keyhole plates, mortises and screws that locked parts together. You had to shove the lid back and then lift it off The music rack and top panel attached the same way but you pulled it forward. Probably a style to make the piano blend in with other furniture and prevent people from becoming DIY tuners

James Kelly
    Owner- Fur Elise Piano Service
    Pawleys Island SC
    (843) 325-4357

• 7.  RE: Very interesting 1916 Steinway with five legs. Can't get the action out.

Posted 11-20-2022 20:20
    There are a few things that might be the case. As a copy of a square grand, maybe there are screws under the key bed into the key frame. Then the whole thing would slide forwards. With the whole thing sliding out, the 'fallboard' would then have its screws exposed.

If it's built on a player grand case, then the lyre would have to come off to access the union blocks located in a slot in the key bed.
    Then the whole thing would slide forwards.

If the lyre screws are too long and screw into the key frame, removing them would let the whole thing slide forwards.

Regards,

Jon Page
    mailto:jonpage@comcast.net
    http://www.pianocapecod.com

• 8.  RE: Very interesting 1916 Steinway with five legs. Can't get the action out.

Posted 11-24-2022 20:49
    It is not uncommon for movers to mix up leg and lyre screws. If they are of different lengths, problems can ensue. 

Peter Grey Piano Doctor

Peter Grey
    Stratham NH
    (603) 686-2395
    pianodoctor57@gmail.com

• 9.  RE: Very interesting 1916 Steinway with five legs. Can't get the action out.

Posted 11-24-2022 21:05
    If it's on a player case, the lyre would have to come off to access the union blocks. These not only would have connected tubing thru the keyframe but one of them is used to shift the action over.  Screws into the lyre would have to be very long to go thru the lyre top block, the key bed brace and key bed. Is the lyre attachment with the standard locking plates?  You've probably figured it out by now. If not, call Steinway.

Regards,

Jon Page
    mailto:jonpage@comcast.net
    http://www.pianocapecod.com

• 10.  RE: Very interesting 1916 Steinway with five legs. Can't get the action out.

Posted 11-25-2022 15:02
    I once encountered a Steinway that had a wood block (activated by the soft pedal) that protruded through an opening in the keybed and was attached to the action by a couple of screws. Removing this block allowed the action to slide out.

Randy Prentice RPT
    Tucson AZ
    (520) 749-3788

• 11.  RE: Very interesting 1916 Steinway with five legs. Can't get the action out.

Posted 11-26-2022 01:56
    Yes.  I think it was the XR or something like that. I had a customer with one. There were blocks that contained the vacuum manifolds that had to come off.

Keith Akins RPT
    Menominee MI
    (715) 775-0022