Pianotech

• 1.  What goes in this kit?

Registered Piano Technician
    Posted 04-27-2023 11:59

If you were putting together a  kit containing various size sockets and Allen keys to tighten plate bolts, leg and lyre bolts, what would you include?
    Please specify for which piano manufacturer, specific size tool and for what  purpose. This is a project for a young colleague who wants to be prepared.

------------------------------
    Joyce Meekins, RPT

• 2.  RE: What goes in this kit?

Posted 04-27-2023 23:13

The lids of Everett studio uprights are attached by L-shaped brackets that are fastened to the back with bolts that take a 7/32nds Allen wrench. You can't get into the piano without it.
    I have a 3/8" Allen for pedal lyres etc. I don't know if that's the only size but it hasn't failed me yet.

Steven Rosenthal RPT
    Honolulu HI
    (808) 521-7129

• 3.  RE: What goes in this kit?

Posted 04-27-2023 23:24

A 1/4" nut driver is good for the nuts on Acrosonic tangents and the small self starting screws for Dampp Chaser mounts.

Steven Rosenthal RPT
    Honolulu HI
    (808) 521-7129

• 4.  RE: What goes in this kit?

Posted 04-29-2023 19:16
    Hi, 
    Girl Scout, always be prepared;  what about the tools for artist bench and bench repairs.  Then there are the grand trucks. 

Go to Jansen artist bench document lots of new repair documents there. 
    And maybe a hydraulic jack.  For a bad grand leg or bad spinet leg with no toe block.

Unfortunately can't be prepared for everything; ask many questions and prepare for the worst.  Expect a return trip and try and book appointments in collective areas.  How many sets of bass string s can you carry if concert tuning.  

I'm guessing this question comes from someone that has many miles between customers. 

Early on I purchased a seats craftswoman's mechanics set that has almost everything purchased when on sale.  Was a very good investment! I leave In My car and have a used set in a mechanics chest.   Then for the artist benches you will need very tiny channel locks used by mechanics for tune ups��. And if those nuts come loose you lose the bolts And jam nut.  You will need medium thread locker.  I find many shoulder bolts missing.  

Always check the bench!

--
    Sent from Gmail Mobile