Pianotech

• 1.  1948 Steinway with vertigris

Registered Piano Technician
    Posted 11 days ago
    I tuned a Steinway M yesterday that was manufactured in 1948. The action was very sluggish and upon further inspection I discovered vertigris on all the action centers in the top action. The damper underlevers seemed fine. I thought that the flanges with vertigris problems were in pianos built in the 20-30s, not in 1948. Has anyone else seen this problem in post WW2 Steinways? The piano spent most of it’s life near the ocean in Northern California and it had a Dampchaser installed under the pinblock with no control unit which has been running 24/7 for an extended period of time. I removed the Damchaser. All the center pins are covered with the usual green crude we see on older Steinways. Should I repin or replace parts?
    Sent from my iPhone

• 2.  RE: 1948 Steinway with vertigris

Posted 11 days ago
    In Hawaii it is very common to put a DC under the pin block. The humidity is so high 24?7/265 that the heat has no effect on the pin block, but it helped keep the centers free. 

I suspect that even with the DC in the action cavity it wasn't enough to keep the center pins from corroding, which is the problem you're probably looking at. Corroding center pins is not the same as verdigris, which comes from the bushings. 

Repinning is your best option, unless the h/s/f need to be replaced anyway because of wear. 

Wim

• 3.  RE: 1948 Steinway with vertigris

Posted 11 days ago
    Expect verdigris to develop until the end of cloth bushings, ca. 1960. 

Regards,

Bill

Bill Shull, RPT, M.Mus.
    www.shullpiano.com
    www.periodpiano.org
    909 796-4226

Sent from my iPhone

• 4.  RE: 1948 Steinway with vertigris

Posted 10 days ago

I am on the coast of SC and humidity is a problem most of the year. Depending how close to the ocean the piano may be getting a good dose of humidity as well as some good ole corrosive ocean air. I have had customers leave windows and doors open all day and night because they like the smell of the air and the breeze.I am surprised the pin block did not get damaged from constant heat from the dehumidifier bar 24 x 7. You did not mention string rust which also be a problem You could try repinning some of the worst hammers but it may be time to price new h/s/f .  After all the piano is up there in age. Also find out what the customer does with windows/doors and HVAC settings 

------------------------------
    James Kelly
    Owner- Fur Elise Piano Service
    Pawleys Island SC
    (843) 325-4357

• 5.  RE: 1948 Steinway with vertigris

Posted 10 days ago

There's no need to be close to the ocean to develop "cancer". Try getting some TSI 301 and give it a dose, and see what happens. Maybe two shots. 

I had a case where the shanks and flanges had been replaced like in the 50's or so. By now they had developed mild verdigris. Generally easily cleanable. I cleaned it and it was good for a while but some sluggishness persisted. Cleaned again and again over time but sluggishness persisted. Very strange...

Finally I decided to repin. That was how I found the real culprit. Many center pins were scored and/or bent, much plating was gone, creating unusually excessive friction. Repinning with precut SS center pins solved the problem. 

I have no idea how such damage occurred on these factory parts, but it was there. 

Peter Grey Piano Doctor 

Peter Grey
    Stratham NH
    (603) 686-2395
    pianodoctor57@gmail.com

• 6.  RE: 1948 Steinway with vertigris

Posted 10 days ago

I tried the TS1 301 and did not getting an improvement whatsoever.  I still contend the easiest and fastest way to improve things is the heat gun approach.  In 5 mins., all the action centers will be free. I  usually get about 6 months to a year before the heat treatment needs to be revisited.  Its not a fix, but a good band aid to get things free without breaking the bank.

Anyone want 3 cans of TSI 301, you can have them for free, however you pay the shipping.

Tom Servinsky 

Concert Artist Piano Technician

Director/Conductor- Academy Orchestra

Managing Conductor-Treasure Coast Youth Symphony

Keyboardist- Beatles Re-Imagined

Pianist with TLC Jazz Duo

tompiano@tomservinsky.com

772 221 1011 office

772 260 7110 cell

• 7.  RE: 1948 Steinway with vertigris

Posted 10 days ago

Tom,

If those three cans of TSI 301 are still available, I would gladly take them off your hands. Please let me know how much I owe you for shipping.

Thanks,

Alan

Alan Eder, RPT
    Herb Alpert School of Music
    California Institute of the Arts
    Valencia, CA

• 8.  RE: 1948 Steinway with vertigris

Posted 10 days ago

Jim, I did a complete action parts replacement on a 1946 Stein L that has severe vertigris. At the time, I was surprised to see it in that manufacture period.

Tremaine Parsons RPT
    Georgetown CA
    (530) 333-9299