Pianotech

Expand all | Collapse all

A Cluster Of Broken Strings

• 1.  A Cluster Of Broken Strings

Posted 11-30-2022 17:47
      |   view attached

I worked on a Steinway studio upright today, about 20 years old, with 6 broken strings (12 wires) in the highest 15 notes. The owner is not clear on the service history. The strings all broke at the hitch pins.

Any estimate on the cause? A couple observations: (a) The previous tuner had left the pitch in the upper 2 octaves a lot high relative to A440. (b) The piano has a Dampp Chaser (with huidifier) installed just below the upper two octaves. Could a combination of rust (from too much moisture) and too much tension have done it in? A picture is attached (I had trouble trying to put it inline).

Regards, Norman

------------------------------
    Norman Brickman
    Potomac Piano Service
    Potomac, Maryland
    potomacpiano@verizon.net
    https://potomacpiano.com
    (301) 983.9321

• 2.  RE: A Cluster Of Broken Strings

Posted 11-30-2022 18:06
    All the wire is badly corroded. Maybe they used an unapproved anti-mildew additive which accelerated the rust. The piano needs to be restrung. Use only the mildew product from DC.

Regards,

Jon Page
    mailto:jonpage@comcast.net
    http://www.pianocapecod.com

• 3.  RE: A Cluster Of Broken Strings

Registered Piano Technician
    Posted 11-30-2022 18:21
    Those strings broke because they are rusty. It looks like one or two were replaced earlier. You can replace the ones that are broken, but warn the customer that more strings will likely break in the near future. 

• 4.  RE: A Cluster Of Broken Strings

Posted 11-30-2022 18:37

Hi Norman,

Wow, that's a lot of rust! I'm surprised you were able to tune it without more strings breaking. I hate it when I get a piano like that. 

As Jon said, your best bet moving forward is restringing, at a very minimum just the strings that have broken (I wouldn't try splicing them), preferably the whole thing. As to why it happened, I don't think anyone knows for certain. I have a theory that it probably wasn't the Dampp-Chaser, unless whoever installed it forgot to install the baffle, which helps distribute the humidity so this doesn't happen. If the baffle was installed properly, I'd look for excessive environmental humidity. Was the piano in a house next to the ocean or lake, or in a basement? Things like that. 

Hope this helps!

Benjamin Sanchez, RPT
    Piano Technician / Artisan
    (256) 947-9999
    www.professional-piano-services.com

• 5.  RE: A Cluster Of Broken Strings

Posted 11-30-2022 21:36
    Norman, you can't really judge how that section of the piano had been tuned as the breaking strings skew the tuning sharp. Even one string breaking will change its neighbors by several cents.
    It's not likely the strings broke all at once, this probably happened over a period of years meaning the piano has been sitting idle. At minimum you'd want to restring that section. The problem is rust is contagious, the new wires will start to corrode in pretty short order if you do a partial job.

Steven Rosenthal RPT
    Honolulu HI
    (808) 521-7129

• 6.  RE: A Cluster Of Broken Strings

Posted 11-30-2022 21:43
    While you're at it, restringing wise. The counter bearing ridge above the pressure bar needs to be taken down. That's what makes the 1098's so awful to tune.

Regards,

Jon Page
    mailto:jonpage@comcast.net
    http://www.pianocapecod.com

• 7.  RE: A Cluster Of Broken Strings

Posted 12-01-2022 11:16
    Jon --

> The counter bearing ridge above the pressure bar needs to be taken down. That's what makes the 1098's so awful to tune.

Could you please explain this in a bit more detail? I don't understand "taken down". If this is something that could be done to any problematic 1098 to make tuning easier that would be a great thing to know. 

Geoff Sykes, RPT
    Los Angeles CA

• 8.  RE: A Cluster Of Broken Strings

Posted 11-30-2022 23:46
    I suspect there are some harsh environmental reasons why there is so much corrosion on the strings. Check the date on the Dampp Chaser humidistat to see when it was installed. High tension on the strings and lack of or improper installation of the baffle over the water tank could have been a factor . The two pieces of braiding/felt also could have attracted moisture from the air. The dehumidifiers may also be undertpowered and not up for the task. Restringing is the best option but the surroundings/environment need to be studied. If humidity is above 50 % even with the dampp chaser rust/corrosion will eventually return despite having a damp chaser. A customer here had a Chickering grand located in an historical home near the river that was a total rust bucket. It was restrung but a year later it was rusting all over again. Check out the pictures in the piano life saver booklet

James Kelly
    Owner- Fur Elise Piano Service
    Pawleys Island SC
    (843) 325-4357

• 9.  RE: A Cluster Of Broken Strings

Posted 12-01-2022 09:40
    It could also have been a case where the DC was installed after the strings were already rusty.

Wim

Sent from my iPhone

• 10.  RE: A Cluster Of Broken Strings

Posted 12-01-2022 13:57
    Thank you to all for all the good feedback.  You have definitely given me more to think about and steps to consider for the future.  Sounds like I was a little too optimistic with the customer than I should have been.

Sorry -- one other observation that I should have mentioned(!):  The house sits one-tenth of a mile from the Potomac River, a major river in these parts.

Regards, Norman

Norman Brickman
    Potomac Piano Service
    Potomac, Maryland
    potomacpiano@verizon.net
    https://potomacpiano.com
    (301) 983.9321

• 11.  RE: A Cluster Of Broken Strings

Posted 12-02-2022 09:43
    Norm,

During the time I lived in your area I noticed that many older homes had suboptimal A/C operation, basically circulating cool MOIST air.  VERY difficult for a DC system to successfully control. Added to that is the neglect factor for years (assuming that the system was "taking care of it"). I found this to be a consistent pattern there. 

Peter Grey Piano Doctor

Peter Grey
    Stratham NH
    (603) 686-2395
    pianodoctor57@gmail.com