Pianotech

• 1.  A little about Inertia Touch Wave

Posted 03-26-2023 21:15

Hi Everyone,

I recently finished designing a new piano touch weight tool  that I call Inertia Touch Wave (ITW). There have been a lot of questions asking "What does it do?" So I will try to explain it here.

What it does is measure the grand piano action components as usual. But it further calculates Inertia and applied forces and puts them altogether into a single measurement for easy analysis on a chart.

The Inertia chart is a valuable visual aid to see how the individual components are working, not just on their own, but as a whole.

Much like what a conductor does with the separate sections of an orchestra to create a musical whole.

My first use of ITW was on a Steinway B that I was working on. I went through the action many times and thought it was pretty good. Smooth strike weight curve, fixed all friction issues, then added/subtracted lead in the keys to get my Down Weights even across the keyboard. So I was really surprised to find that the inertia values were still mountains and valleys. This lead to further research and I discovered that all of the component differences (weight, position, and imperfections) add up, especially when amplified by leverage.  Another big observation was the means of the placement of lead in the key.   I found that the factory (DW) down weight method often made inertia worse and uneven. So did the computer calculated (FW) front weight method.

ITW can easily help identify these problems, which when corrected, can immediately be noticed when playing on it for the first time.

A nicely balanced action can give you a very nice feel, but with inertia corrected, it feels even more  polished.

As a tool it can be used with any other system you are currently using. You can change the hammer weights to anything you want, move the capstans anywhere you want, use whatever DW scheme you can devise, place the lead in the keys to whatever scheme you want, but now you have complete control.

Adding inertia as a measurement, three others could be eliminated (FW) front weight, (BW) balance weight, (AR) action ratio. It also caused the need for a new idea, which is key load testing. This test determines how to find the correct lead weight in grams is needed to find the (DW) down weight  and (UW) up weight target you want for the mass and leverage you have.

The main difference that Inertia Touch Wave makes, is it helps you make your actions far better.

-chris

------------------------------
    Chernobieff Piano Restorations
    "Where Tone is Key, and Mammoths are not extinct."
    865-986-7720 (text only please)

• 2.  RE: A little about Inertia Touch Wave

Posted 03-27-2023 08:34

Wow.  The piano is truly a remarkable machine and this sounds like a interesting device.  I am so glad I am in the PTG as every day I learn something new.

Patrick Greene
    OWNER
    Knoxville TN
    (865) 384-6582