Pianotech

• 1.  "Banned-Stand"

Registered Piano Technician
    Posted 03-03-2023 17:34

I've received some interest in my post reply to helping to resolve back, leg, shoulder, neck, arm, etc. issues. I've attached photos of the "Banned-Stand" folding stool along with screenshots of the parts used to make it. They've gone up a bit in price but definitely worth the time it takes to make one. The folding stool is from Amazon (Trademark Home) and is available in two heights. I have the taller one. I believe it's about 24 inches tall. (I've never used the shorter one made by a different company and it didn't look sturdy.) The piano stool seat adjustment unit is available from Van Dykes Restorers online. I took the seat adjustment unit and bolted it to the top of the stool after drilling a 1 inch hole to accommodate the steel threaded rod. I hacked off the top of a cheap barstool I had in my shop and had my wife upholsterer it so I'd look chic when arriving at my customers' homes and used it for the top seat. But any solid piece of wood could be used for the top where you sit. You screw the opposite side of the piano stool seat adjustment unit that you just attached to the folding stool) to the bottom side of whatever you've chosen for your seat. (I'm all skin and bones so I needed something padded.) The lowest height is about 29 inches and it expands up to about 36 inches. You'll notice in the photos that I have a thick piece of wood on top of the folding stool. That's because the metal from my first stool I made was getting tears in it from flexing as I was using it A LOT. It's simply a 2 x 12 piece of lumber I cut round with a jigsaw. You might want to consider adding that if you like the stool design and find that it eases your aches and pains and you plan on using it as part of your tuning regimen.  Good luck and God bless.

------------------------------
    James Sasso RPT
    Wrentham MA
    (508) 384-6570
    ------------------------------