Pianotech

• 1.  Blocking hammer?

Posted 15 days ago

One of my customers called me the other day complaining that ONE of her notes was going "thunk" but just occasionally and only on a firm, repeated blow.  The way she described it sounded like a blocking hammer to me, but having dealt with this issue many times on uprights (I tuned most of my years in a financially depressed area of Appalachia and encountered very few grands), but not yet on a grand; I'm doing a bit of homework before the appointment.   The piano is a Steinway model M.  The pinblock is rather dry with some "less-than-solid" pins (but still holding).   I plan to check the let off and back checking and for broken or unglued flanges, but beyond that what should I suspect?   (particularly if I'm unable to duplicate the problem)

------------------------------
    Timothy Edwards
    Beckley WV
    (740) 517-7636

• 2.  RE: Blocking hammer?

Registered Piano Technician
    Posted 15 days ago

The jack on Steinways is made of two pieces and the joint of the "dog leg" comes loose. If the jack on the offending note is not in alignment with the other jacks, that's a big clue. If the joint is loose the end of the jack will wiggle like a loose tooth. 

Sometimes the felt pad on the let-off button will come unglued and fall off that will do it.

Steven Rosenthal RPT
    Honolulu HI
    (808) 521-7129

• 3.  RE: Blocking hammer?

Registered Piano Technician
    Posted 15 days ago

Dollars to donuts its the jack unglued at the joint. If so, make sure you don't get glue into the bushing or any place other than just the joint at the elbow. 

The other thing that can contribute to this problem is too much aftertouch, jamming the jack between the cushion and the let off button. Check to make sure the jack is not touching the felt cushion in the rep lever at full key depression. If it is, you've got some work to do.

Peter Grey Piano Doctor 

Peter Grey
    Stratham NH
    (603) 686-2395
    pianodoctor57@gmail.com

• 4.  RE: Blocking hammer?

Posted 15 days ago

Peter and Steven, 

Is there enough space to reglue that jack "dog-leg" without pulling the whippen? (i.e. should I have a table available to put the action on for this?) 

Timothy Edwards
    Beckley WV
    (740) 517-7636

• 5.  RE: Blocking hammer?

Posted 15 days ago
    Hi, Timothy,

While YMMV, I prefer to pull the rep and then de-pin the fly before gluing. While a bit of a pain, it goes a long way to avoiding getting glue (of whatever type) into the bushing cloth.

I'm curious about the age of the production; and whether it still has OEM parts.

Thanks very much.

Kind regards.

Horace

Original Message

• 6.  RE: Blocking hammer?

Posted 15 days ago

Horace, 

If I remember correctly, I think my customer told me it was an anniversary model.  All OEM parts.  I wrote down 2 numbers in my records for some reason:  G2383  and 338710.  I'm guessing the second one is the serial number (1952).  Not sure what the "G2383" would be. 

Timothy Edwards
    Beckley WV
    (740) 517-7636