Pianotech

Expand all | Collapse all

Broken plastic damper flange

• 1.  Broken plastic damper flange

Registered Piano Technician
    Posted 26 days ago

Hello,

I have a customer with a broken plastic damper flange on a 1950s (I think) Chickering console. I'm assuming there is no reason I couldn't replace with a wooden one? 

Thanks!

------------------------------
    Tim Foster RPT
    New Oxford PA
    (470) 231-6074

• 2.  RE: Broken plastic damper flange

Posted 26 days ago

Yep, you should be able to replace it with a wooden one, assuming it's the same size and shape. Be careful though! It's very easy to break surrounding plastic parts. Good luck!! 

"That Tuning Guy"
    Scott Kerns
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    www.thattuningguy.com

• 3.  RE: Broken plastic damper flange

Posted 26 days ago
    To add to what Scott said, because those plastic parts are so brittle, warn the customer that there will be more parts that will break, even as you’re trying to replace the one that’s broken.

Wim Blees.
    Sent from my iPhone

• 4.  RE: Broken plastic damper flange

Posted 26 days ago

What they said! Proceed with caution. Also be prepared to do some wire bending - even though the new wooden flange will look very similar to the old plastic one, if your damper lines up you will be extremely lucky! 

Ryan Sowers RPT
    Olympia WA
    (360) 480-5648

• 5.  RE: Broken plastic damper flange

Posted 25 days ago

Scott brings up a good point. As soon as you simply touch the surrounding dampers, don't be surprised if more break.  The problem is that the plastic becomes extremely frail over time and the slightest touch of the part, the part crumbles apart.  My advice is to talk to the customer about replacing all of the damper flanges.  And if you end up replacing all of the damper flangers, you'll be into some serious time regulating the dampers.  So price this project (based upon hourly charge (accordingly. My opinion, the job ends up costing more than the value of the piano. My 2 cents.

Tom Servinsky 

Concert Artist Piano Technician

Director/Conductor- Academy Orchestra

Managing Conductor-Treasure Coast Youth Symphony

Keyboardist- Beatles Re-Imagined

Pianist with TLC Jazz Duo

tompiano@tomservinsky.com

772 221 1011 office

772 260 7110 cell

• 6.  RE: Broken plastic damper flange

Posted 25 days ago

As far as this job, unless you're going to replace ALL the plastic parts, anywhere and everywhere, forget about it.  Been there.  Like those plastic elbows, replace them all if possible.  This is all a lesson in inevitability.  Gluing these back together is absurd because the plastic is going to be crumbly, and as soon as you tighten the screw, it will break again.  There's quite a bit of force from the spring.  The glue joint would be much stronger by orders of magnitude than the parts themselves.

If the client won't agree to full plastic parts replacement, head for the hills and don't look back.  I once had a Knabe spinet that had plastic jacks.  Young and dumb, I made a very conservative estimate.  Long story short, I ended up replacing all the plastic parts, and every flange in the action.  Never again!  I swore that I would never work on a plastic action again unless every plastic part was replaced.  And of course it's never worth doing, considering the piano is long past it's working life.  Don't let the customer's problem become your headache.

Paul McCloud, RPT
    Accutone Piano Service
    www.AccutonePianoService.com
    pavadasa@gmail.com

• 7.  RE: Broken plastic damper flange

Posted 25 days ago
    Paul, well stated and couldn't agree more. I no longer  will not accept any jobs with these issues. Been there done that's one too many times.

Tom Servinsky
    Concert Artist Piano Technician
    Director/Conductor- Academy Orchestra
    Assist. Conductor-Treasure Coast Youth Symphony
    Clarinetist-Atlantic Classical Orchestra
    772 221 1011 office
    772 260 7110 cell

• 8.  RE: Broken plastic damper flange

Posted 25 days ago

I agree with Paul and others. Unless you want to eat your lunch over and over again turn down the job. Other parts in this gem may be made of plastic as well. You could try a few wooden flanges to see how much time they eat . I had a post war piano here that had plastic elbows but when I examined it closer with a good light I found it was loaded with plastic parts all throughout. I priced out the job as best I could and the cost was more than the piano. I will go back to see the name and my inspection notes. I found out later that it is possible to swap out the actions if you can find one with wooden flanges in the same make and model

James Kelly
    Owner- Fur Elise Piano Service
    Pawleys Island SC
    (843) 325-4357

• 9.  RE: Broken plastic damper flange

Posted 18 days ago

Paul, this happened to me on an Ivers & Pond.  The Jacks were plastic, the damper flanges were plastic and it seems like all the other flanges were plastic as well..  I was going to just replace the damper flanges, but then the other flanges and jacks started breaking as I moved things around, so I ended up  "marrying" the piano.  I managed to find someone with a similar action made completely of wood where the parts were of similar size and I bought the action from them (for $150.00) and used those parts to replace all the plastic fittings.  I had to do a lot of adjustments as well and it still was pretty wonky in places.  I took a bath because I underbid it and the end product was not satisfactory to me, though the customer was ok with it.  I would say to run from that one if it is not too late.  

Patrick Greene
    OWNER
    Knoxville TN
    (865) 384-6582

• 10.  RE: Broken plastic damper flange

Posted 25 days ago

Lyle, I did the same job on this very same piano last year.  Deja View!  And for exactly the same reasons.  Having not done this job before, of course half of my compensation was lessons learned doing it.  It was hard even to find the parts.  Every bend must be duplicated precisely.  It would have been easier to do in a shop, but no I had to do it in their home, going back and forth with the action minus the hammers.  It's a compact action, and if you have do do regulation later with the hammers in place, good luck.  The damper system with torsion bars connected to the pedals makes it even more difficult to regulate because there's only just so much pedal travel to work with.  It barely worked when I was done.  And then the callbacks..  Other techs had refused the job,  but a fool rushed in..

Paul McCloud, RPT
    Accutone Piano Service
    www.AccutonePianoService.com
    pavadasa@gmail.com

• 11.  RE: Broken plastic damper flange

Posted 25 days ago
    I’ve been working on a 1949 Mason & Hamlin console with similar issues that the customer wants saved. I successfully repaired cracked damper flanges with CA glue and reinstalled them.

• 12.  RE: Broken plastic damper flange

Posted 25 days ago

Sad to say, this action will also have plastic hammer flanges--all of which are now brittle and will break with any use. All the plastic parts wil require replacement, which basically means rebuilding the action. Also sad to say, better pianos are out there at a lower price than the repairs necessary. Of course, the piano may have sentimental value, so the customer may want it done anyways.

David Dewey

• 13.  RE: Broken plastic damper flange

Posted 25 days ago

This is NOT a fun job. I was faced with exactly the same issue a few years ago on the same vintage Chickering. As pointed out the damper flanges were just the beginning of it. In the final analysis the decision was made to scrap the piano. They were able to acquire a similar Chickering (without plastic) in far better shape for far less than what it would have cost to repair the old. First generation plastic...short lifespan. 

Peter Grey Piano Doctor 

Peter Grey
    Stratham NH
    (603) 686-2395
    pianodoctor57@gmail.com

• 14.  RE: Broken plastic damper flange

Posted 25 days ago
    One more warning for plastic parts replacements. While most of the flanges are available from Schaff, sometimes the manufacturer used unusual parts, ones that don't fit exactly. 

I had that happen once where I was going to replace the whole wippen because it had both plastic flanges and plastic jacks. But the replacements I got (I looked very closely at the parts from Schaff), didn't fit in the piano. I can't remember exactly what the problem was, but I couldn't finish the job. 

Wim

• 15.  RE: Broken plastic damper flange

Posted 25 days ago

It's usually EOL for these things and the owner simply needs to come to grips with it (unless they've got oodles of money to spend on it). 

Peter Grey Piano Doctor 

Peter Grey
    Stratham NH
    (603) 686-2395
    pianodoctor57@gmail.com

• 16.  RE: Broken plastic damper flange

Posted 24 days ago
    When I was young and wanted work, And these pianos were not so old and decrepit
    I successfully made plexiglass jigs that attached to the outer action brackets while on the workbench
    Through these I marked with a sharpie string location from grooves, and other information off the dampers
    Leaving end of section samples in place, sometimes with a new flange so they don’t break, I was able to easily replace all the flanges reinstall and adjust as needed, often little adjustment is needed because wire bends are reused
    I did many of these and they were satisfying, I wouldn’t touch them now

Sent from my iPhone, please excuse typos, etc.
    Fenton Murray, RPT
    Cell 831-320-7042

• 17.  RE: Broken plastic damper flange

Posted 25 days ago

Some of the plastic flanges have a slightly different ad unique shape on the bottom. Be prepared to do some whittling. 

David Stocker, RPT
    Olympia WA

• 18.  RE: Broken plastic damper flange

Posted 25 days ago

Explain options to your client, then let them make an informed decision about their piano. Give an estimate for parts replacement and also a price range for a comparable used (but much newer) upright in your area. Answer their questions throughout, then let them decide. How is the piano's condition in other areas? If it's worn everywhere (loose tuning pins, many soundboard cracks, failing bridges, ample string corrosion) then those are more reasons to get a different piano. 

I replaced plastic Backchecks and Damper Levers (and Damper Felt) on a 1949 Mason & Hamlin model F Console four years ago. After informing them in most all scenarios it's not worth it, they still chose parts replacement so the piano didn't go in a landfill. That aspect was important to them. In this case it helped that the piano was otherwise in good shape, even the finish.

• 19.  RE: Broken plastic damper flange

Posted 25 days ago

Thank you all for sharing your expertise! The situation has this complication, when found this piano initially, they paid me to look it over. The piano checks out very well in almost all areas for a piano its age. Soundboard perfect, clean, everything worked, nice mahogany case. Unfortunately, I did not look deep enough to find the plastic flanges. Now I know…. For the time being, I'm going to try to nurse it along. 

Tim Foster RPT
    New Oxford PA
    (470) 231-6074

• 20.  RE: Broken plastic damper flange

Posted 25 days ago

Just be very careful working with it. It sounds like you might have one of the pianos that ONLY has plastic damper flanges. I've seen this a few times: All wood parts except for the damper flanges. 

It should only take about 15 minutes or so to replace one, so it shouldn't be that big a deal. Just let the customer know this may and probably will be a bit of an ongoing annoyance. But you never know, it could go many years without another broken one. Just be clear with the client that it is very unpredictable and that the parts are fragile. 

That's a bummer that you gave the piano a "clean bill of health". It's an easy thing to miss - but you will now have that tucked away in your knowledge base. Dampers are not under a lot of stress, and as long as you don't try to bend the spoons or adjust them they might be OK for a while. I'll often leave a few spare flanges in the piano for the future. Good luck! We feel your pain. 

Ryan Sowers RPT
    Olympia WA
    (360) 480-5648

• 21.  RE: Broken plastic damper flange

Posted 24 days ago

I'm bringing this up because it came back to bite me the last time I replaced plastic flanges.

A long time customer wanted to donate his Story and Clark 44" to a school, plastic flanges were breaking one at a time and he wanted to fix them all before he gave the piano away. I did the work, reinstalled the action, played it some and pressed the sustain pedal and the action rail split. Oh joy.

So, another thing to check on pianos from this period is whether or not the sustain pedal goes to the right, if it does there is an increased chance of the action rail splitting due to the increased torque on the damper rod bracket that extends well past the treble dampers. This added liability is another reason to walk away such jobs with one's dignity intact. It's also a red flag if someone is having you evaluate a piano, even if it's not split I always point out the increased potential for trouble.

If I do any action work on these actions, plastic or not. I put some preventive screws into the action rail at either end and maybe one or two right near the end of the damper rod. If you have the action on the bench it just takes a few minutes to drill pilot holes and put in the screws. It will save you a major headache in the future. This set up of the sustain trap work going off to the right is fairly common on lower end pianos from that era with both plastic and wood flanges.

(note: the damper rod is the one that goes under the damper levers, the vertical one that comes up from the trap work is the pedal rod)

Steven Rosenthal RPT
    Honolulu HI
    (808) 521-7129

• 22.  RE: Broken plastic damper flange

Posted 24 days ago
    Having seen a new to me Lester spinet today from the 50s, I was glad to have been reading this thread so my mind was primed. Indeed, with plastic damper flanges, and a pile of crumbled flanges in the bottom corner, my first question to the client was if the piano had sentimental value. If the technician can suss this out, the next recommended steps can follow a fairly straight path.

This forum very often is of enormous benefit when you don’t expect it!

Good luck!

Joe Wiencek

• 23.  RE: Broken plastic damper flange

Posted 24 days ago
    I can echo Mr Rosenthal's concern.  I did a Kimball Consolette last year and the rail split on installation.  The customer called me pretty late in the game as I gathered the dampers from the bottom board and put them in a shopping bag to take everything to the shop.  Figuring out which damper went where took a great amount of time as well.  Finding parts was part of the equation too.  Proceed with caution.

Norman

• 24.  RE: Broken plastic damper flange

Posted 24 days ago
    plastic damper flange

I've yet to come across the split rail issue - this is a good heads up! Does the rail split through the damper flange screw holes? I'm trying to picture exactly what the split looks like and where you put the screws to reinforce it. 

Like Joe Wiencek the timing of this thread was good for me as well. The last piano I tuned yesterday was a Gulbransen mini piano. The plastic elbows had been replaced but I looked in there and saw the plastic damper flanges. As far as I could tell none of them had been replaced and were working fine. I was able to point it out to the client and let them know that it should be in their long term plan to upgrade the piano. 

Ryan Sowers RPT
    Olympia WA
    (360) 480-5648

• 25.  RE: Broken plastic damper flange

Posted 24 days ago

Ryan, most (all?) vertical action rails are made with two pieces of wood glued toghether for reasons of grain orientation as the hammer and whippen  flange screws are perpendicular to the damper flage screws. On pianos with compressed actions the glue joint is half-way up the cove that accomodates the damper rod. The split occurs at the glue joint, it is actually a glue failure. When it happens, it starts at the treble end of the rail and works it's way towards the base the more the pedal is used. The tell tales for this problem are a) the dampers don't lift or barely lift off the strings in the treble; b)when you depress the pedal the hammers in the treble rise vertically as the pedal rod is actually flexing the the top part of the rail up and away from the bottom part. Rising vertically=towards the ceiling. I"ll look around for a picture.

>While this generally happens on older (1950's-60's) models, the last one I encountered was an American Baldwin from the early 90's. It was unique in that the damper rod lifted from the left and the split started in the bass.

Steven Rosenthal RPT
    Honolulu HI
    (808) 521-7129

• 26.  RE: Broken plastic damper flange

Posted 24 days ago

Well, I couldn't find my own pictures but found this cross section on the net. Perhaps the rail doesn't need to be laminated if the stock is quarter sawn. 

The blue line is where the glue joint is more or less. The red line is where I put the screws and/or dowels after gluing and clamping as best I can. I haven't seen one that completely separates but have seen them separate all the way down to the beginning of the bass. Some but not all of the dampers and whippens need to be removed. Reinforcement can also be put in on the 'shelf' below the hammer flange but that is a weak point too, I recommend at least a few diagonals be installed too.

(in the diagram "screws or" = "screws or dowels"; "glue=glue joint. That's what I get for trying to do this before the 1st cup of coffee)

Some people take short cuts but this isn't a job one wants to do twice.

Steven Rosenthal RPT
    Honolulu HI
    (808) 521-7129

• 27.  RE: Broken plastic damper flange

Posted 24 days ago

Btw, even if the rail doesn't delaminate all the way to the bass, anchor it at that end as well. The glue could fail from the bass sustain rod at a later date. Don't ask me how I know.

Steven Rosenthal RPT
    Honolulu HI
    (808) 521-7129

• 28.  RE: Broken plastic damper flange

Posted 24 days ago

Awesome posts, Steven. Thanks for this valuable information. The generosity of this forum is humbling. 

Ryan Sowers RPT
    Olympia WA
    (360) 480-5648

• 29.  RE: Broken plastic damper flange

Posted 23 days ago

Ryan, you're welcome, hopefully I personally won't face this job again, however, I've been mulling this over since it's come to mind and have a few more tips for the job.

> For clamping and gluing I have some small pieces of wood with a grooves cut in them so as not to damage the raised molding on the rail, I suppose  flanges will work fine for that.
    > I have some 6" drill bits for drilling the pilot holes for the screws and I drill a pilot before drilling the 7/32" hole for dowels. Without the long bits you will probably have to remove the hammer spring rail or else it will obstruct the drill chuck.
    > If you have the action in a cradle, you will want to brace the action rail from underneath when drilling and installing the screws/dowels.
    > Directly behind the action brackets are convenient places to use screws. 
    > I use dowels near the damper rod hangers where the upward force is acting on the action rail. I will do this down to beyond where the split is opening up. 
    > One reason to use dowels is that if you're gong to put them where there are damper levers are they need to be flush with the rail as the damper flange will rest on top of them. Note: not only is the action rail laminated, many of these pianos use (wood) flanges that are made of laminated strips as well, probably to  make use of trimmings from other parts. And they used the same bad glue on these as they do on the rails, so it's not uncommon to find the flanges coming apart into two pieces when you remove them from the action. They can be reglued or replaced. Be prepared.
    > The damper screws are offset to the hammer flange screws and there is room for a 7/32" dowel between the damper flanges. 
    The reason for all this redundancy is because short of removing all of the dampers to reglue the two pieces, I don't want to rely on just the glue joint  in the future, by only removing a few damper levers as needed, I get as much glue as I can but I think that is only good enough to hold the pieces in position while installing screws and or dowels. The upward thrusting damper rod exerts a shearing force on the rail and this repair will insure it stays rigid. 
    With these procedures one can keep the labor down to a few hours on the bench and there should be little to no additional damper regulation.

Steven Rosenthal RPT
    Honolulu HI
    (808) 521-7129

• 30.  RE: Broken plastic damper flange

Posted 22 days ago

I have an upcoming job where the client said she pounded on the keys after arguing with her husband and now many do not work. There is a good chance there is plastic in the piano but it could be snapped shanks . broken glue joints, jacks etc

I will probably see the piano this week since I put her off until after Easter. Fortunately a friend of her has the key to her house so I will have time alone to check the piano. I may bring a death certificate with me to pronounce the piano as toast

James Kelly
    Owner- Fur Elise Piano Service
    Pawleys Island SC
    (843) 325-4357

• 31.  RE: Broken plastic damper flange

Posted 22 days ago

Scary. Don't think I've seen a piano been beaten to death like that.

Try to get out before she comes home and bring your riot gear. 

Steven Rosenthal RPT
    Honolulu HI
    (808) 521-7129