Pianotech

Expand all | Collapse all

Certain ETD discussion threads moved to Electronic Tuning Device community

Thread closed by the administrator, not accepting new replies.
  • 1.  Certain ETD discussion threads moved to Electronic Tuning Device community

Registered Piano Technician
    Posted 03-25-2024 17:36
    No replies, thread closed.

If you're looking for the most recent discussion threads related to Electronic Tuning Devices, please join the Electronic Tuning Devices community. Most of those threads have been moved there.

------------------------------
    Patrick Draine RPT
    Billerica MA
    (978) 663-9690

• 2.  RE: Certain ETD discussion threads moved to Electronic Tuning Device community

Posted 03-25-2024 17:49

There are double standards of treatment in the PTG, and from talking to long-time former executives of the PTG this has been a real problem for decades, as one told me it has become a Kangaroo Court. Everyone tunes, and spends most of their time tuning. I have not in any way mentioned the name of any app or device in over a month. Rick Clark and Fred Strum started posting their reviews using apps and devices. It just so happened that they were reviewing a device I represent. Then I posted a demo of my playing the piano without any reference to what kind of apps and devices used. Then Patrick Duraine and his committee decided to move all these posts related to tuning to the ETD forum, of which only 10 people subscribe. Every person posts and replies for a reason all the time: they have a self interest in promotion of their services. 

Steven Norsworthy

Steven Norsworthy
    Cardiff By The Sea CA
    (619) 964-0101

• 3.  RE: Certain ETD discussion threads moved to Electronic Tuning Device community

Posted 03-25-2024 17:51
    Hi, Patrick,

Thank you very much.

Kind regards.

Horace

Original Message

• 4.  RE: Certain ETD discussion threads moved to Electronic Tuning Device community

Posted 03-25-2024 17:57

Horace, what reason can you give? 99% of what tuners do is tuning. You support the idea of Fred Strum also NOT talking about tuning on CAUT? Really? --- Steve

Steven Norsworthy
    Cardiff By The Sea CA
    (619) 964-0101

• 5.  RE: Certain ETD discussion threads moved to Electronic Tuning Device community

Posted 03-25-2024 18:00

Let's all agree that ANYONE for ANY REASON posts ANYTHING about tuning, they get booted to ETD. If they post about aural tuning, then they get booted to a new yet-to-be created AURAL TUNING forum. FAIR? --- Steve

Steven Norsworthy
    Cardiff By The Sea CA
    (619) 964-0101

• 6.  RE: Certain ETD discussion threads moved to Electronic Tuning Device community

Posted 03-25-2024 18:22

Horace? Patrick? Seriously? The demonstration with piano without mention of any app or device... how is that justified moving to ETD forum? That could have been accomplished with aural tuning also. Any time from here on that anyone posts a recording demo of a piano, it should go to a yet-to-be-created forum for Piano Demonstration? Really? 

Steven Norsworthy
    Cardiff By The Sea CA
    (619) 964-0101

• 7.  RE: Certain ETD discussion threads moved to Electronic Tuning Device community

Posted 03-25-2024 19:10

I think that increasing the number if discreet topic forums is a GREAT way to alienate us and discourage our use of any of the PTG forums. The PianoTech forum should be an ALL encompassing platform for discussing anything having to do with tuning, repair, health, ETD's, etc., etc. If we have to go to too many places to find the one forum that allows the discussion of whatever slightly off topic the main forum is focused on then we eventually give up. The more eyes we have participating in the PianoTech forum the more participation we will get in the PianoTech forum. If I start a topic they may mention ETD's, and get booted off to a different forum then I have lost the majority of the opinions I am seeking. Politics aside, this is NOT they way to run an online discussion group and encourage people to be interested enough to participate. 

Geoff Sykes, RPT
    Los Angeles CA

• 8.  RE: Certain ETD discussion threads moved to Electronic Tuning Device community

Posted 03-25-2024 19:23
    Geoff, 

Please write Norman Cantrell and Barbara an email. I sent them your reply.

Thanks,

Steve

• 9.  RE: Certain ETD discussion threads moved to Electronic Tuning Device community

Posted 03-25-2024 19:39

This whole thing is childish and ridiculous. I'm actually seriously considering not renewing my membership in the PTG next time around. I considered it this past December and then went ahead. I'm now wondering if I made a wise decision. I'm beginning to think that there is precious little maturity left here to concern myself with it. 

Peter Grey Piano Doctor 

Peter Grey
    Stratham NH
    (603) 686-2395
    pianodoctor57@gmail.com

• 10.  RE: Certain ETD discussion threads moved to Electronic Tuning Device community

Posted 03-25-2024 20:08
    I can’t tell you how many people are against what is going on, they see it for what it is, people who want to ‘control’ as they wish against the best wishes of the members.

Let’s also ‘ban’ any discussion of microphones. Oh, my goodness, what a terrible thing, a microphone. Let’s make a microphone special interest group. Every day you tune and 95% of you are using microphones. You do it all day long. What a pity how bad microphones are.

• 11.  RE: Certain ETD discussion threads moved to Electronic Tuning Device community

Posted 03-25-2024 21:01

Patrick, Thank you.

Steve, you have posted/commented over 50 times in less than two months.  Some of us feel overwhelmed by it.  A one-off tuning question/comment differs from the nonstop posts concerning your product, which some people are interested in, and others are not.  At this point, sending it to the Electronic TD community is the right thing to do; those who are interested will follow.  

Please don't bother the Executive Director or the President with this they have much more important things to deal with.  The Chair of the Committee has spoken, let's respect the work that the committees do for the betterment of the PTG.

Gina Bonfietti, RPT
    Connecticut

• 12.  RE: Certain ETD discussion threads moved to Electronic Tuning Device community

Posted 03-25-2024 21:05

Gina, the committee have incredibly lost credibility here. There are rules for me and rules for thee. Where is the restriction rules that were broken? Fred Strum wrote far more than I did over the past week about the sensor, and I never even mentioned the sensor in replies, and many responded to him. Are you going to put Fred Strum on restrictions? Of course not.  You saw Geoff Sykes and Peter Grey respond so negatively to the committee decision. I will tell you that one of the past Presidents of the PTG told me today that it is a Kangaroo Court and that he was disgusted with it. Just admit that tuning is the #1 thing the PTG members so. It is the #1 most important thing therefore. ---  Steve

• 13.  RE: Certain ETD discussion threads moved to Electronic Tuning Device community

Posted 03-25-2024 21:32

Gina, I did start the thread that had 50 replies in it. I replied 16 times out of the 50 total, and each time it was an answer to a question. It is factually not true what you said, and it results in a type of defamation, and I request your comment be corrected that I posted 50 times. --- Steve

Steven Norsworthy
    Cardiff By The Sea CA
    (619) 964-0101

• 14.  RE: Certain ETD discussion threads moved to Electronic Tuning Device community

Posted 03-25-2024 21:45

Steve,  I apologize; it was 28 times in Pianotech, and the rest were in other forums. You can go to your Profile and see all the comments.  The point is it's time to move the discussion on to where it belongs.  

Thank you,

Gina Bonfietti, RPT
    Connecticut

• 15.  RE: Certain ETD discussion threads moved to Electronic Tuning Device community

Posted 03-25-2024 22:03

Gina, where does 'tuning' belong? Should there also be an ATG, Aural Tuners Group? I think so. Let's be consistent and say that 'the tuning topic' is not very important to the lives of the working day PTG members. It isn't by your own logic, it should all be pushed aside in the closet where no one is looking. That is the sneaky way of shutting up the most important topic. Fred Strum replied more than most to this important thread that I did not even create. Let's push him in the closet now also. Of course I am being rhetorical to show just as Peter Grey said how utterly ridiculous this is.... I didn't say it, he did. Many members called me today to tell me the same thing. Someone is really threatened by a new microphone that is solving one of the most important problems work-a-day tuners have in the field... noise interference with their tuning. --- Steve

Steven Norsworthy
    Cardiff By The Sea CA
    (619) 964-0101

• 16.  RE: Certain ETD discussion threads moved to Electronic Tuning Device community

Posted 03-25-2024 22:27

Gina, in most of those cases, it was replying to legit questions people had made. I did not originate 28 new posts. Again what you are effectively doing is a defamation of character. People who are great senior members are genuinely interested like Fred Strum, Peter Grey, Paul McCloud, and many others. I have to reply when they say something that needs a reply. You are really 'after me' and singling me out. What are you so afraid of? --- Steve

Steven Norsworthy
    Cardiff By The Sea CA
    (619) 964-0101

• 17.  RE: Certain ETD discussion threads moved to Electronic Tuning Device community

Posted 03-26-2024 00:02

I fail to see why we are shuffling this topic into a corner, save for some that aren't interested or have a vendetta.  Just because there is some inference doesn't mean there is promotion of a product.  If someone comes up with a new tool, does that have to be pushed into the "tool" discussion group?  It's relevant to all.  I agree with Jeoff Sykes.  Cutting up all these topic is effectively cutting off the general populace from good information, since not all are subscribed to all the forums. 

I say that any discussion of any topic (other than religion, politics, etc) that is piano related should be allowed, no matter who the author is.  If it's good information, well researched and useful, why not allow it?  This may not be under your control, Gina, but there's something wrong when we can't even talk about something freely, share opinions, and debate the topic.  When I write something, I may not just be replying to someone as an individual, but for the benefit of others who may read it.  I frankly suspect that some of the objections to Steve's posts are from those who feel he offends them, and don't care if he's introducing some relevant and useful information.  They just want him gone.  Even if I post something with information that I"ve learned from Steve, I get veiled threats of being banned too. 

The Guild is a wonderful organization.  The willingness to share information with others is a central theme, most often without charge.  Where would we all be if those before us were shuffled off into some less traveled discussion group, perhaps because they were trying to introduce something new that made tuning easier or better?  We'd still be using a Stobo Tuners if Mr. Sanderson didn't come up with a Sight-O-Tuner or Accutuner.  And his invention was not well received for many years.

All of this smacks of censorship, and I don't like it.  We should be able to participate on these forums without fearing repercussions for what we post.  My opinion on a topic may be misinformed, wrong, or otherwise useless.  But I have a right to voice it, and maybe someone can convince me to change it too.  That's what has always attracted me to discussions here on Pianotech.  I've been on here since the mid '90's and I've learned a lot.  It has been my go-to resource, at least as important as the Journal.  And I know that many have jumped ship and gone to other forums because of all the flame wars on here.  I have stayed here because everyone here is serious about their profession, enough to join a professional organization and pay dues.  I value the opinions on here because I know the people here are not hobbyists like on other forums. 

Please, let's keep this forum open and not bow to those who "don't like" the opinions and posts they don't agree with.  In particular, Steve has been very careful to keep direct references to his sensor off the board.  His posts have been very brief, though I'm sure he'd have a lot more to say if he weren't worried about being removed.  Some things he has posted are over many of our heads, technically speaking.  Again, not a reason to push him off.  Many comments are from our members who appreciate what he's presenting, but are skeptical about some aspects of it or have some doubts.  He has asked me to try to answer some of these doubts, so as to avoid "overposting".  That's why you might find me jumping in when someone is just getting introduced to this topic.

Please, Gina, know that I'm not jumping on you.  I'm simply venting on the topic.  No offense intended.

Respectfully, 

Paul McCloud

Paul McCloud, RPT
    Accutone Piano Service
    www.AccutonePianoService.com
    pavadasa@gmail.com

• 18.  RE: Certain ETD discussion threads moved to Electronic Tuning Device community

Posted 03-26-2024 00:48

I agree with Paul. This sets a bad precedent and will lower the overall quality of discussion in this forum. No one is forced to read a thread they are not interested in, but topics relevant to our daily work should not be relegated to much less utilized sub-forums. I regularly skip over threads that do not interest me, but I would like to know what is being discussed and make my own decision. This feels wrong and will negatively affect participation in this forum.

Nicholas Dedini
    Arcata CA

• 19.  RE: Certain ETD discussion threads moved to Electronic Tuning Device community

Posted 03-26-2024 08:48

Not long ago Mike Morvan posted that he was fully back in business doing high quality key recovering and now adding a NEW Service to his business, that of SS action stack repairs. This was clearly a commercial post, and nothing but a commercial post. 

From the standpoint of CURRENT VIEWPOINT he should have been sanctioned immediately. Was he? I doubt it.  Personally I'm glad he did post because I needed his serviced and contacted him immediately. 

If I declared that I was resuming manufacturing and sale of Bushmasters and Accucauls, Key Bushing Irons, etc. would I be censured? I wonder...what is the policy? Or does the policy depend on WHO is involved and what their personality is like?

People need to grow up all the way around. Sorry...but it needs to be said. 

Peter Grey Piano Doctor 

Peter Grey
    Stratham NH
    (603) 686-2395
    pianodoctor57@gmail.com

• 20.  RE: Certain ETD discussion threads moved to Electronic Tuning Device community

Posted 03-26-2024 09:08
    With respect, I feel that discussion about ETDs is helpful as so many of us rely on them.

However, commercial interests can get in the way of objectivity at times. 

Recently I had a private debate with someone with a vested interest in an aspect of ETDs. I do not subscribe to modern digital devices on mobile phones as the dynamic experience of what I'm hearing, as I'm using ears as well as device, what I'm feeling on the lever and the force that I'm applying and what I see indicated has processing lag. As a result I've come along the line of analogue comparitors, years ago with a dual beam oscilloscope comparing microphone signal to generated frequency, and direct translation of that into formal devices with a 7 segment display going round and round generated by a phase comparator, or with the CTS5, a line of linear dots doing the same.

The young proponent of a device tried to insist to me that all such devices caused delay due to bandpass filters, but clearly didn't understand the idea of a simple phase comparator which doesn't require a bandpass and therefore doesn't generate a delay. For commercial devices to be marketed upon the premises of wrong information or wrong assumptions can then become, even unintentionally, misleading.

When I've used a software device, I've found a lag between a movement on the lever and a change displayed. The immediacy of an analogue phase comparator has given me a feeling of direct control over my tuning and removal of uncertainty. For some instruments with greater dynamic pitch change from strike to sustain this may be of more importance sometimes than others.

Best wishes

David P

--
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    David Pinnegar, B.Sc., A.R.C.S.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    +44 1342 850594