Pianotech

• 1.  Chickering scale number question

Registered Piano Technician
    Posted 12-07-2022 12:02
    Hi all, 

I couldn't say no to a 6'6" Chickering grand in fairly good condition (SN 139318) that the owner paid me to take.  I'm storing it with a friend and piano enthusiast until I'm ready to refurbish it.  I know that Chickering was always changing their scale design.  I took a photo (see below) of what I think is the scale number.  I'm not very familiar with these, and I'm unsure what the last digit is (2, 3, or 7?).  Any information on this would be helpful.

Thank you!

------------------------------
    Tim Foster
    New Oxford PA
    (470) 231-6074

• 2.  RE: Chickering scale number question

Posted 12-07-2022 12:30
    Bill Shull is a very good source of historical information regarding Chickering Factory:

http://www.shullpiano.com

David Stanwood RPT
    Stanwood Piano Innovations Inc.
    West Tisbury MA
    (508) 693-1583

• 3.  RE: Chickering scale number question

Posted 12-07-2022 18:40
    The piano was built in 1924 when Chickering was part of the American Piano Company. Would have to do more research but it likely is 127. Scale 121 was the scale on the Chickering Quarter Grand which was a very small grand. Chickering had many models and scales because they where constantly trying to perfect their pianos. Few people realize they had their own in house lab, machine shop and that Jonas Chickering worked closely with Washburn to develop and make stronger piano strings. You may be able to find more information on scales on the Chickering Foundation web site at www.ChickeringFoundation.com  Bill Schull also is a good resource.

If you are trying to restring this piano you may want to use PScale and you may have to make a string pattern

James Kelly
    Owner- Fur Elise Piano Service
    Pawleys Island SC
    (843) 325-4357

• 4.  RE: Chickering scale number question

Posted 12-07-2022 20:31
    i think the correct link is CHICKERINGFOUNDATION.ORG

James Kelly
    Owner- Fur Elise Piano Service
    Pawleys Island SC
    (843) 325-4357

• 5.  RE: Chickering scale number question

Posted 12-08-2022 12:16
    The 1926 Chickering catalog includes the model K 6'6" grand.  The scale description for this piano is probably 123, which can be confirmed with photos of the belly.   The string scales available from the Paul Monachino collection that I obtained do not have a scale 127, but do have several 123 scales.  

Contact me for more information.

Bill

Bill Shull
    Period Piano Collection
    www.periodpiano.org