CAUT

• 1.  College piano requested at remote location

Registered Piano Technician
    Posted 03-16-2023 09:40

Hello CAUT people,

I've just been asked to make a piano available for a short performance at the college commencement ceremony in May.  It used to be held at the college quad but for the past several years the college has rented the city's NBA arena, a few miles away.  I haven't spoken to the people from the commencement committee yet, but I want to have a recommendation in mind for when I do.  My gut reaction is that they'd be better off renting a piano so that we (or me specifically) don't become bogged down in arranging transportation.  And I have a feeling they're going to have some sticker shock when they find out how much it will cost to have the piano moved there and back.  They probably think the college Facilities department can move the piano but I learned a long time ago to NEVER EVER EVER ask them to move a piano!

Any thoughts? Experience with this kind of thing?

Thanks in advance.

Zeno Wood

------------------------------
    Zeno Wood
    Brooklyn, NY

• 2.  RE: College piano requested at remote location

Posted 03-16-2023 11:36
    Get a quote for moving there and back and a quote for a rental, and provide those figures to them. Maybe they'll decide that having a piano isn't that important.

Regards,
    Fred Sturm
    fssturm@gmail.com
    www.artoftuning.com
    http://fredsturm.net
    "We either make ourselves happy or miserable. The amount of work is the same." - Carlos Casteneda

• 3.  RE: College piano requested at remote location

Posted 03-16-2023 12:10
    Zeno

This decision is above your pay scale. Kick it up to the chair of the department. Let him/her deal with it.

Having said that, when I was at Alabama, I had my own skid board and used university movers to help move the piano. I did some of the easy work but they did all the heavy lifting. I supervised.

Unless you are prepared to do that, I would recommend the school hire professional movers, and/or rent a piano from a local store.

Sent from my iPhone

• 4.  RE: College piano requested at remote location

Posted 03-16-2023 12:45

Have them rent from a local dealer.  You'll be miles ahead in time and cost in the long run.

Paul

• 5.  RE: College piano requested at remote location

Posted 03-16-2023 13:51

whats wrong with an electronic keyboard plugged into the sound system or even a good track with pomp and circumstances ? is this a commencement or a concert ? If it is a big space fuhgetaboutit y'all need a big concert grand mikes etc.... people at commencements want to have short speeches, good ac, quick giving out of diplomas/degrees . most graduations are torture

James Kelly
    Owner- Fur Elise Piano Service
    Pawleys Island SC
    (843) 325-4357

• 6.  RE: College piano requested at remote location

Posted 03-17-2023 08:40

Hi James - It's not for the old Pomp & Circumstance, it's a performance of a short piece written by a retired professor who's receiving an honorary doctorate.  The composer and the pianist are both bigshots so a real piano is required.

Totally agree however that graduation ceremonies are torture.  It's all in your perspective however.  If you're part of producing the ceremony year after year, it gets to be a grind.  But if it's your kid traipsing across the stage, that's something else.

Zeno Wood
    Brooklyn, NY

• 7.  RE: College piano requested at remote location

Posted 03-16-2023 13:58

Thanks everyone.  I recommended they rent a piano.

Zeno Wood
    Brooklyn, NY