CAUT

• 1.  Conserving artist inscription and signature on string frame (plate)

Registered Piano Technician
    Posted 01-04-2023 12:43
    Greetings Lists,

CalArts has been given a 1917 Steinway model A. Pianist Lily Krause inscribed and signed the string frame (AKA plate).

The strings are all original, so we plan to re-string it. We would like to refinish the string frame while we are at it.

The question is: How to conserve the artist's inscription and signature while refinishing the string frame?

Thanks,

Alan

------------------------------
    Alan Eder, RPT
    Herb Alpert School of Music
    California Institute of the Arts
    Valencia, CA

• 2.  RE: Conserving artist inscription and signature on string frame (plate)

Posted 01-05-2023 00:53
    I have vigorously scrubbed many old plates with only elbow grease and dish detergent.  A considerable amount of grime and even discoloration can be removed.

Depending on how the inscription was made scrubbing or anything more than light cleaning of the signature with only a damp cloth might disturb the signiture.  Avoid alcohol!

My vote would be to clean the plate, only touch up the chips and worse marks and string it as-is.  Perhaps a light shellac or laquer over the signature for preservation.

There are wax based pigments used for decorating or touching up guilded picture frames that will hide or cover many plate marks and chips.  You apply these with your finger.  Some acrylic paints can be used to touch up some marks, any art supply store will have a variety of materials.  You would need to experiment carefully before committing to one or another.  Note that these will age and discolor differently from the original plate paint.

You might consult with an art conservator or museum curator (the Getty?).

The idea that every restoration needs to be to like new condition is a transference from the sales floor.  I see no reason that a restringing can't be done to retain the existing character of an ancient and venerable instrument.

Blaine Hebert RPT
    Duarte CA
    (626) 795-5170

• 3.  RE: Conserving artist inscription and signature on string frame (plate)

Posted 01-05-2023 01:23
    Is the signature varnished over?  Sometimes they were if it was signed at the Steinway showroom or factory.  That makes it easier. 

If it's varnished over you first gently clean the varnish top cost. If not you first have to clear coat over the signature with light coats of acrylic (I used Wurdack clear coat). Otherwise any cleaning will remove the signature. Then you protect the signature area before you spray the plate. Make sure the clear coat is totally dry so it doesn't stick to whatever you use to cover the signature. Low stick masking tape works fine.  
    To get a soft edge so the old plate color blends better with the new, then cover the tape  with a few layers of cheese cloth. Use more layers directly over the tape with somewhat loose and thinner layers as you move set from the protected area.  The porous nature of the cheese cloth allows some of the new plate spray through and you can then feather the edges so you don't have a hard line which looks ugly IMO.  To get it right requires a deft touch and keep the applications light. 
    This is a bit hard to explain but if I can find some pictures of one that I've done I'll post it.