Pianotech

• 1.  Damper rail bushing

Posted 11-03-2022 21:22
    I have a grand piano with one damper rail bushing missing. Does anyone have a good way to replace it with the damper rail in the piano? I would rather not have to remove all the dampers to be able to do the repair.

Thank you.

------------------------------
    Rex Roseman
    Norton OH
    (330) 289-2948

• 2.  RE: Damper rail bushing

Registered Piano Technician
    Posted 11-03-2022 21:50
    Remove the action. Take a strip of bushing class, cut a v at one end, and feed it through the hole from the top. Make sure the seam of the strip is to the side of the hole. Put a couple of drops of glue at the end of the strip and pull it down so that the end of the strip is even with the top of the rail. Then take a pair of side cutters, preferably center pin cutters, and snip off the strip on the bottom of the rail. Install the damper wire and make sure the damper lifts up and down without resistance, or that it doesn't wobble back and forth. 

• 3.  RE: Damper rail bushing

Posted 11-03-2022 23:12
    The seam should be at the front or back. You can cut it with a single edge razor blade too.

Regards,

Jon Page
    mailto:jonpage@comcast.net
    http://www.pianocapecod.com

• 4.  RE: Damper rail bushing

Registered Piano Technician
    Posted 11-04-2022 12:01
    Rex,
    You got some really good pointers already. Not all manufacturers glue in their guide rail bushings, so that’s something to check.

Joe Wiencek
    NYC

• 5.  RE: Damper rail bushing

Posted 11-12-2022 15:42
    Thank you to everyone that replied to my question. I just wasn't sure if someone had some trick that would make working around the other dampers easier. I will try first taking out only the damper that needs a bushing and if there is not enough room, then I will take out one on each side.

Thanks.

Rex