CAUT

• 1.  Dampp-Chaser Systems

Registered Piano Technician
    Posted 08-24-2022 05:57
    25-30 years might be a good average for a number of reasons.   However, there is one variable that makes all the difference in Southern California: The use of distilled water.  There is no faster way to cause the demise of a System than to disrespect the long term benefits of distilled water.  Part of the replacement average includes: How much time is spent cleaning/treating & replacing small parts?  And, prematurely cleaning the humidifier tank, replacing the humidifier rod sleeve and pads due to mineral deposits only to find the screws holding the humidifier heat rod have rusted through.  At that point with that tank and system what is the best use of time and money:
    1.   Is a new tank ordered
    2.   Is a new humidity side of the System replaced with updated parts including humidistat and light senor
    3.   Is a completely new System ordered and the usable old parts saved

The best use of time and money in the long run is a consideration:  Is it less time and money to replace the humidity tank, humidistat and light sensor?  Then deal with the dehumidifiers as they intermittently go out and are found?   Or, go with the known time, expense and peace of mind that comes with installing a new System.  Depending, there is value in all of these options.

Not mentioned but germane to this subject is the Under-cover.  12 years ago at Soka University, Aliso Viejo, Ca., 11 systems were installed in practice rooms, teaching studios and two classrooms: 7 grands, 5 uprights, each with a string cover.  The pianos are tuned 4 times per year.  The systems, with their string covers, were disappointing: the pianos acted like instruments that needed systems until the under-covers and back-covers were installed.  I took my lead from David Reed, RPT under-covers were installed at his bold insistence.  The difference continues to be dramatic. 

Slowing the rate of air exchange under and around the pianos has made a very positive difference.   As C-19 regulations increased the number of room air exchanges per hour the pianos continue to remain in significantly better tune by a wide margin.  Depending on the year, the Fall and Spring weather can have warm, dry winds.  When these conditions are profound all bets are off but generally: The use of Under Covers with the Piano Life Saver Systems and string covers makes for very stable pianos.       

Ed Whitting, RPT

Professional Products & Services, Inc.

24392 Peacock Street, Lake Forest, California 92630

Cell 714-501-4717, Office 949-830-6847, FAX 949-830-1392

• 2.  RE: Dampp-Chaser Systems

Posted 08-24-2022 07:17
    Thanks Ed for this information.  I have found the same to be true. 

What is your method for installing the undercovers?  Do you use any special parts and not use supplied parts? 

I use black boat snaps for areas of undercover that need to be removed for maintenance and staple the rest.  The area on the undercover where the boat snaps are installed is bolstered with black Gorilla tape.  I cover the stapled  areas with the black round stickies that come with the installation kit.

Thanks!

------------------------------
    Tim Coates RPT
    Sioux Falls SD

• 3.  RE: Dampp-Chaser Systems

Posted 08-25-2022 05:45
    Sometime please include a few pictures of the boat snaps, both pieces.  Not being familiar with the snaps, are there preferred parts?  All the under covers at SOKA were purchased from Dawson(I think) just before they stopped making them.

Ed Whitting, RPT

Professional Products & Services, Inc.

24392 Peacock Street, Lake Forest, California 92630

Cell 714-501-4717, Office 949-830-6847, FAX 949-830-1392

• 4.  RE: Dampp-Chaser Systems

Posted 08-25-2022 07:44
    I did not know Dawson made undercovers.  I buy mine from Dampp Chaser and they have to be individually fit & installed.  I'll be at several places next week where I did installations and will take pictures. 

Here is a link to the boat snaps:  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01FHOIEBU/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Tim Coates RPT
    Sioux Falls SD

• 5.  RE: Dampp-Chaser Systems

Posted 08-27-2022 04:29
    Please don't let me put the fire out with gasoline: 

Dawson does not make under covers. 

At a point  I (Think) I purchased most of his left-over undercover stock.

So looking forward to your pictures!

Kerl

Ed Whitting, RP l
    Sent from my iPhone

• 6.  RE: Dampp-Chaser Systems

Posted 08-27-2022 07:20
    Glad to help put out the fire as I understood from your original post Dawson does NOT make undercovers anymore.  If I would have known about that particular product line when they made them I would have supported their efforts. 

Since there seems to be more online chatter about undercovers perhaps it is time for someone to revisit pre-cut undercovers.  Sure would save some time installing.  Staple in place with some boat snaps to provide maintenance access.  Simple.

Dawson does NOT make undercovers.

Tim Coates RPT
    Sioux Falls SD