CAUT

Expand all | Collapse all

Dampp Chaser/Piano Lifesaver System longevity

• 1.  Dampp Chaser/Piano Lifesaver System longevity

Registered Piano Technician
    Posted 08-23-2022 12:48
    Hi CAUTs,

For those of you with institutional pianos equipped with DC units, what do you think is their functional life?  Let's say you have some systems that don't appear to be working - how old would they have to be for you to replace rather than trouble-shoot?

Thanks!

------------------------------
    Zeno Wood
    Brooklyn, NY

• 2.  RE: Dampp Chaser/Piano Lifesaver System longevity

Posted 08-23-2022 13:08

First of all if there are any of the old "chrome" rods or those BROWN stats…NO BRAINER-replace! 

My best guess is anything over 30 years old for sure…but personally…if you are assessing and thinking about it at this time, I would say 25 years is a pretty good "cut off". My logic is based on when will this even be considered or looked at in the future..??? If your budget will allow of course. Or you could (of course) start with all the oldest ones then have an "ASAP" list or "danger zone" list for systematic replacement in the near future. My 2 cents. 

Kevin Fortenberry
    Longview, TX 75602
    806-778-3962

• 3.  RE: Dampp Chaser/Piano Lifesaver System longevity

Posted 08-23-2022 14:08
    Why not ask Kelly?

Larry Messerly, RPT
    Bringing Harmony to Homes
    www.lacrossepianotuning.com
    ljmesserly@gmail.com
    928-899-7292

• 4.  RE: Dampp Chaser/Piano Lifesaver System longevity

Posted 08-23-2022 16:05
    Because I'm asking institutional users what their practice is and not what the manufacturer recommends.

Zeno Wood
    Brooklyn, NY

• 5.  RE: Dampp Chaser/Piano Lifesaver System longevity

Posted 08-23-2022 17:23
    The equipment has evolved over time with more and better features in my opinion. I have lots of them installed in churches, some in schools and many in homes. I think they should be examined at each visit and tested to see if the water sensor works, pads are wicking, wiring is good. There is a way to blow on the humidistat to test the response and you can test the heater bar with a temperature gun. If I see frayed wiring I will cut the electric cord and inform the owner. The humidistats have changed over the years and have model numbers and dates on them. Same for dehumidifiers. Many systems I see are over 10 years old and workfine. the only way to find out the true life expectancy/experience is to check with Dampp Chaser. As far as I know they have had very few recalls or defective units. Failure and ineffectiveness is likely due to user failure to plug systems in, keep tanks filled using the humidistat treatment, failure to change pads out. the new systems with smart heater bars makes these tasks easier

James Kelly
    Owner- Fur Elise Piano Service
    Pawleys Island SC
    (843) 325-4357

• 6.  RE: Dampp Chaser/Piano Lifesaver System longevity

Posted 08-23-2022 17:38
    For what it's worth, Kelly Hollifield, with Damp Chaser, is giving a class on Damp Chaser installation at the SERC seminar in Jacksonville, FL Oct. 20 - 22. 

Please go to SERCPTG.ORG for more information and to register for the conference. 

Thanks

Wim Blees, 
    SERC Chairman 

• 7.  RE: Dampp Chaser/Piano Lifesaver System longevity

Posted 08-23-2022 21:34
    My own experience corroborates Kevin's numbers. We had failures with low-water warning sensors and heating rods and appear starting at around 25 years in service. At 30 years we began replacing them. A bonus is that the new systems all have power-on indicator lights which are always useful, and even more so during a pandemic.

Alan

Alan Eder, RPT
    Herb Alpert School of Music
    California Institute of the Arts
    Valencia, CA

• 8.  RE: Dampp Chaser/Piano Lifesaver System longevity

Posted 08-24-2022 07:53
    I just installed the first one for the University last week on a SS D
    in the opera rehearsal room. Included the undercover

I had to recap the bridges on this 20 year old D due to climate issues. 
    This is a good test case to monitor and set a reminder for 5 year intervals in the future. . 

Thanks for posting, Zeno. 

• 9.  RE: Dampp Chaser/Piano Lifesaver System longevity

Posted 08-24-2022 20:25
    Dave Conte .. did you mean this is the first DC/PLS you ever installed at the University ? Keep in mind that these systems are good but will not fix all of the environment issues that exist in the space the piano is used in. You may need better HVAC and room humidification or dehumidification and the DC needs to be properly sized and placed for a large D. I have found the templates/blueprints from Dampp Chaser helpful for ordering and placement. As a rule here I typically order the higher wattage dehumidifiers

James Kelly
    Owner- Fur Elise Piano Service
    Pawleys Island SC
    (843) 325-4357

• 10.  RE: Dampp Chaser/Piano Lifesaver System longevity

Posted 08-25-2022 07:52
    James,

Yes, the first for the university as far as I can tell. Not the first I have personally installed.
    The issue is not generally too high, but too low humidity based on what I saw with this piano.
    Yes, in a perfect world, or institution, this would be a no-brainer to fix the problem globally at the
    HVAC level. But this is in an older building and not going to get funded. 

Fortunately, only 9 pianos reside in that building, two of which are the in the concert hall within
    a climate controlled off-stage room. 

The other 115 pianos are in the new music center building, which is climate controlled and has
    pretty decent RH monitoring and control. But when it is taken off-line for service, it is a lot of extra
    work. 

Dave Conte

University of Tennessee
    Knoxville TN
    (817) 307-5656
    Owner: Rocky Top Piano

• 11.  RE: Dampp Chaser/Piano Lifesaver System longevity

Posted 08-24-2022 04:38
    20-25 years. A few says ago I had the first HD one that wouldn't turn off ever. Wasn't that old.

Mario Igrec, RPT, MM
    Chief Piano Technician, The Juilliard School
    http://www.pianosinsideout.com

• 12.  RE: Dampp Chaser/Piano Lifesaver System longevity

Posted 08-24-2022 14:49
    In institutions, I replace anything that doesn't have a green power indicator as soon as budgets allow. The "failure" mode most often encountered is "unplugged". The green light tells the watering crew immediately if things are OK. 

I also want every system in a building to use the same watering can, same amount of water, same instructions, same indicator lights. Anything else is too much confusion for the work-study kids who are new every year.

For institutions with more than a few pianos, any system older than H5 is obsolete, even if still functioning. 

Greg Graham