CAUT

Expand all | Collapse all

Dawson String Covers???

• 1.  Dawson String Covers???

Registered Piano Technician
    Posted 12-07-2022 11:19
    Hi All,

I have tried repeatedly to contact Clark Dawson via both email and phone... no replies so far. Are they still in business? Do they not like people from Calif. LOL?

Is there anyone else whose strings covers you like?

Thanks

Teri

• 2.  RE: Dawson String Covers???

Posted 12-08-2022 10:48
    I ordered a cover in October. Clark told me then they were at 8 weeks delivery time.  He responded quickly by email though.   

• 3.  RE: Dawson String Covers???

Posted 12-08-2022 10:59
    Hi, Teri,

Do you remember Dennis Haley covers, which started out as Covers by Jill? I’ve used their covers for 20 years. They’ve retired now and their daughter Guye Michaels has been making the covers for several years. I’ve used them and they’re the same good quality that Dennis was making - she learned well from her folks.

Let me know if you want her contact information, but I think she has a website. I have a cover on order right now but she’s waiting patiently until the owners choose the color. And if you order covers from PianoTek, last I knew, they go to Guye anyway.

Kathy

• 4.  RE: Dawson String Covers???

Posted 12-14-2022 09:41
    Kathy, I'm so glad you posted this update about Dennis Haley & "Covers by Jill". I almost mentioned them but was unsure if they were still up & running-it's been a number of years. Could you send their contact info for future reference? (Direct message me if you prefer). Thanks in advance! Kevin

------------------------------
    Kevin Fortenberry
    Longview, TX 75602
    806-778-3962

• 5.  RE: Dawson String Covers???

Posted 12-14-2022 10:04
    Do Covers By Jill make string covers (as per the OP)? I have bought many covers for the outside of the entire piano from them, but not string covers. 

Alan

Alan Eder, RPT
    Herb Alpert School of Music
    California Institute of the Arts
    Valencia, CA

• 6.  RE: Dawson String Covers???

Posted 12-14-2022 10:24
    Hi, all,

"Covers by Jill" was very convenient in the older days of purchasing through the state of California, because they gave preference in buying to women, vets and small businesses. Dennis Haley and Jill moved later, and at some point changed the name to Instrument Covers, same quality, same decent turnaround. I also purchased many leg wraps for stage pianos but I don't know about string covers. Not last I knew. You can get many varieties of cover materials; for concert pianos I've always gotten I think "Destiny Canvas", padded and quilted. I've also had her make smaller vinyl covers for lobby pianos and so on. I have sent her several patterns for odd or off-brand pianos and custom leg wraps.

Guy Michaels is their daughter, they've retired now, and she has all their patterns, logos, and methods. I knew her when she lived locally for a while, then she moved her business to Salem, Oregon. I've always called Guye directly (pronounced "ghee" like the French version of the male name Guy") at 971-388-7806, 

By knowing her and calling directly, I never looked her up online, I don't see a website for her. But she's on Twitter, and if you find her there, you can see her operation. The business is now called Instrument Covers II.
    Between the Haleys and Guye, that's the only place I have ordered covers for about 30 years. I've always been pleased, and their covers are on concert pianos in all the venues where I work. They last very well.

Good luck.

Kathy

• 7.  RE: Dawson String Covers???

Posted 12-15-2022 04:43
    Just concurring with what has been said:  I've known Guye and her parents since the business started many years ago.  We use Instrument Covers for pianos but they will make a cover for anything, keyboards and timpani come to mind. Guye can also be reached at:

Her covers are high quality and have lasted as long as 40 years, they are in use at the Hollywood Bowl and many other high profile venues.  Recently, I had two older U-1 covers dry cleaned, $40.00 each in Los Angeles, Ca., they look new. 

Upon request, Guye will send a sample kit of materials for outside covers and a price list.  She made a string cover for my personal Baldwin L.   The material used might be too sound defeating for most, I use the piano for practice at odd hours so this string cover along with the Destiny outer cover suit my needs. 

How covers are removed and stored when not on the piano is important.  Consider removing the cover in a particular way that keeps the inside of the cover off of the floor or other dirty surfaces.  My preferred method is to fold the cover so the outside of the cover protects the inner lining from getting dirty.  Doing this will keep the dirt on the floor from being transferred to the piano case when the cover is re-installed.  If there is no dirt on the inside of the cover there will be fewer surface scratches on the front and back top of the piano and less floor dirt deposited on the back of the fallboard that is eventually dumped on the keysticks and keybed.

Here is a Testimonial:

The Water Resistant, Fire Retardant cover Guye made for the Hollywood Bowl Steinway D saved the piano from having to be replaced.  One year a family of raccoons moved into the the Hollywood Bowl back stage attic area after the season was over.  They dug a hole thru the ceiling using it as their toilet, they taught their babies to do the same!  For several winter months the high treble end of the piano cover received regular deposits of racoon urine and droppings.  The cover saved the piano at the expense of itself; I did not try to dryclean that one but ordered another after the hole in the ceiling was repaired.

Ed Whitting, RPT

Professional Products & Services, Inc.

24392 Peacock Street, Lake Forest, California 92630

Cell 714-501-4717, Office 949-830-6847, FAX 949-830-1392

• 8.  RE: Dawson String Covers???

Posted 12-15-2022 10:03
    I would add that if you have the vinyl "Destiny" cover, or any vinyl cover, don't allow the vinyl side to lay on a lacquer finish for any amount of time.  The plasticizers in the vinyl will melt the lacquer and ruin the finish.  Clients need to be warned about this.  They will fold back the fly lid so it rests on the cover without knowing it will harm the finish to leave it there.  Too much trouble to take the cover off and put it somewhere while playing the piano.  This happened to the Steinway D that Bill Walton owned, and I was to be the bearer of bad news.  The lid needed refinishing.

Paul McCloud, RPT
    Accutone Piano Service
    www.AccutonePianoService.com
    pavadasa@gmail.com

• 9.  RE: Dawson String Covers???

Posted 12-15-2022 10:23
    The Destiny covers are quilted canvas. Except for a few odd pianos in lobbies or homes, the black quilted Destiny is what we've used. Vinyl is a good choice for a lobby piano situated near a bar. 

You are right about vinyl not playing nicely with some finishes. Dennis used to warn about that.

Kathy

Sent from my iPhone

• 10.  RE: Dawson String Covers???

Posted 12-16-2022 17:51
    Dear Paul, The only brand of piano I know the “desolving finish” to be an issue is New York Steinway manufactured with water base lacquer. The problem seemed to occur when a grand front top was folded over(back) with the cover still on. The problem only came up using one of the of the several materials used for making piano covers.

Guye knows about this situation it might be worth asking her.

Ed Whitting, RPT
    Sent from my iPhone

• 11.  RE: Dawson String Covers???

Posted 12-20-2022 04:27
    I ordered some stuff recently there so Idk what's problem...

Dasy Stors
    Minette AL