CAUT

• 1.  Digital Hybrids

Registered Piano Technician
    Posted 02-19-2024 11:17

The university I work for is thinking about the possiblity of digital hybrid pianos in the practice rooms.  Anyone have any thoughts about them?

------------------------------
    Michelle Gray RPT
    Murray KY
    (251) 895-8135

• 2.  RE: Digital Hybrids

Posted 02-19-2024 11:56

We have some here at UK. When our opera building was refurbished just before I arrived, all the pianos were replaced with new Yamahas, two of which were hybrids. I believe they were intended to be rehearsal pianos but all the pianists hated them. We gave one to the library a few years ago. The other one sits unplugged, taking up space. There are also some in practice rooms in our performing arts dorm but they are not part of my job.

I think hybrids could may some sense as practice room pianos but not for practicing piano! Even a perfecty sampled piano sound coming our of a speaker just doesn't sound the same as sound coming from an actual soundboard. A lot of times vocalist, for example just need a keyboard for pitch reference. But if that's what you're after for some of your practice rooms, why not just buy some MUCH less expensive keyboards and never mind about getting a fancy mechanical action inside?

If you're ever coming to Lex let me know and I'll show you around our situation here at UK.

john.pope@uky.edu

John Pope
    University of Kentucky School of Music
    Lexington, KY

• 3.  RE: Digital Hybrids

Posted 02-20-2024 07:11
    Yeah, I have some thoughts. A Yamaha N3 was purchased by a Jazz Club in Chicago because they didn't want to pay for weekly tunings. As noted, the pianists all hated it. 
    The real problem with it was that when anything broke inside, there are 22 screws to remove to get into the action. The hammer assemblies started snapping at the glue joint between the " hammer head" and the shank. You can't reglue or repair it, it must be replaced. The approximate cost was $50/ assembly. And there are 7 different assemblies, based on the weight it is trying to mimic from bass to treble.
    Also, key dip is non standard, must stay between 9.3 and 9.5mm or dip will be too deep, and that will snap the shank. 
    The heavy use of a practice room piano will doom the instrument quicker than at the Jazz club, which was only open maybe 4 nights a week. They eventually traded it back to get a used C3, which the musicians are really thrilled with. Now the owner doesn't have a maintenance headache, just a predictable tuning expense.
    The private client who bought the used N3 is a heavy handed player, and he has broken 3 hammer assemblies in a year, is thinking about trading it for a upright Disklavier so he can still practice at night. 
    Where would they be useful? A faculty office where it is only used for light practice and giving a pitch to a student, perhaps. But a digital keyboard could do that and be much cheaper. 
    David Graham
    Graham Piano Service, Inc.
    512 S. Main St.
    Sycamore IL 60178
    815-353-5450

• 4.  RE: Digital Hybrids

Posted 02-20-2024 13:27

The moment any electronics are added to a piano, the life expectancy reduces to 10 years – if you are lucky. Get an acoustic piano and keep it going for 40 years.

• 5.  RE: Digital Hybrids

Posted 02-20-2024 14:06
    We bought 26 Disklaviers (not really “hybrid” per se) at BYU, but after the first year no one used the electronics at all! Nobody! At least the pianos are decent. If the cost of a Disklavier was, say $10k more than the same piano w/o the Disklavier then I figure we wasted $260,000.00. This was about 30 years ago, but it may be useful info for this discussion.

Sent from my iPhone

• 6.  RE: Digital Hybrids

Posted 02-21-2024 09:02

This is all helpful information and I will pass it along.  Thank you!

Michelle Gray RPT
    Murray KY
    (251) 895-8135