Pianotech

Expand all | Collapse all

Enjoy the Holiday Season?!?!

• 1.  Enjoy the Holiday Season?!?!

Registered Piano Technician
    Posted 11-14-2022 22:17
    Every year, I dread December 1-24, and really don't start to enjoy the holidays until December 25th. Trying to juggle the extra workload is a necessity for the upcoming months for me. I manage every year, but find myself breathing a sigh of relief when Christmas Day rolls around. I'm very thankful for the extra work, and try to keep a good attitude during the month of December.

My question for you all is, what are some things you do to ensure you actually enjoy the holiday season? (Is such a thing possible in our profession?)

------------------------------
    Benjamin Sanchez, RPT
    Piano Technician / Artisan
    (256) 947-9999
    www.professional-piano-services.com

• 2.  RE: Enjoy the Holiday Season?!?!

Posted 11-14-2022 23:27
    Benjamin, you control your workload. It's not a crime to turn down work. If you're thankful for the work then just dig in. If you want more time, grey out your schedule for the afternoon before Thanksgiving for example. Take the week off between Christmas and New Years Eve. Perhaps you're at a point where you don't need new customers for the month of December, just tell people you're booked.
    It's up to you.

Steven Rosenthal RPT
    Honolulu HI
    (808) 521-7129

• 3.  RE: Enjoy the Holiday Season?!?!

Posted 11-14-2022 23:30
    Here's the answer, Benjamin. Get a staff position at a university. The semester is over fairly early in December. Tale a few vacation days just before Christmas, and then most universities give you additional vacation days between Christmas and New Years. A week and a half to two weeks off during Christmas/New Years. Pretty good deal. 

• 4.  RE: Enjoy the Holiday Season?!?!

Posted 11-14-2022 23:31
    December is quite difficult.
    Here are some of my strategies:
    • Some years, I do not accept new clients in November and December. That keeps the chaos a little bit controlled. My schedule is still full but new clients have their own set of unexpected surprises that I find somewhat stressful when I'm already overbooked.
    • I try not to do add-on services during November and December; no Half Days, Full Days, Regulations, etc. Even piano cleaning or hammer reshaping is a bit much for me. When I'm scheduling those types of services ahead of time for the next appointment, I try to steer clear of the Fall.
    • I try to clean up my database and do reminders for clients that I haven't seen in awhile from January through July. From August through the end of the year, I'm not actively reminding anyone unless it is for a prescheduled appointment.
    • I explain to friends and family beforehand that I won't be seeing them as often during the Fall. I try to get any holiday shopping done in advance when I can. 
    • Most years, I skip holiday decorating because I never get around to it. 
    • I cut myself a break and lower my expectations and try to remember that I'm just doing the best that I can and that is probably just fine.
    • I take the week between Christmas and New Years off to rest 

Hope that helps.

Ashley Turner

Ashley Turner
    Ashburn, VA
    703-657-9404

• 5.  RE: Enjoy the Holiday Season?!?!

Posted 11-15-2022 00:29
    I stop working on the 15th and don't go back for three weeks.  The only work I do during those 3 weeks is clean up lingering shop projects (or the shop) and finish my accounting and year end changeover. I'm usually booked out 4-6 weeks and my customers know it so I don't get too many calls with expectations right before the holidays. I've learned to say no. 

BTW have you ever noticed that the ones who really "need" you to show up now are those who haven't tuned their pianos for 10 years?  

Take the time you need for yourself and don't look back. 

• 6.  RE: Enjoy the Holiday Season?!?!

Posted 11-15-2022 00:51
    For me, the best thing about working during the holidays is that it takes my mind off the fact that I am surrounded by market generated mindless holiday "cheer". The holidays are not my favorite time of year and I usually can't wait until January 2 when it's all over and the shopping zombies return to normal. Working through November and December is a wonderful distraction for me.

But to answer your question: You are, more-or-less, self employed. If you don't want to work, not just during the holidays but anytime, then the simple answer is just don't work. If you want time off to connect with personal joy then all you have to do is give yourself permission to take it.

Geoff Sykes, RPT
    Los Angeles CA

• 7.  RE: Enjoy the Holiday Season?!?!

Posted 11-15-2022 01:02
    I use post cards and I have learned not to send out any cards in December.  Now I am beginning to date reminder cards for October instead of November on many clients.

I also send out reminder letters to churches to warn/beg them to call ahead for service as I always expect to be too rushed with emergencies close to Christmas.

It works for me.  Just remember to enjoy as much of the season as you can; even with planning the emergencies tend to use up your holiday cheer.

January always arrives too soon!

Blaine Hebert RPT
    Duarte CA
    (626) 795-5170

• 8.  RE: Enjoy the Holiday Season?!?!

Posted 11-15-2022 07:46
    Benjamin

I know how you feel. I used to pack in my schedule as full as possible, wanting to please everyone, and thankful for the business.

But as everyone else has basically told you, you’re your own boss. Only schedule as much work as you want.

Wim

Sent from my iPhone

• 9.  RE: Enjoy the Holiday Season?!?!

Posted 11-15-2022 10:03
    Get old, Benjamin. That has solved a lot of the chaos for me.

Bob Anderson, RPT
    Tucson, AZ

• 10.  RE: Enjoy the Holiday Season?!?!

Posted 11-15-2022 10:59
    I've found December is a great time to raise my fees. Most of my regulars are scheduled by the 15th and get the existing price. All the last minute new people get the new price.

Larry Messerly, RPT
    Bringing Harmony to Homes
    www.lacrossepianotuning.com
    ljmesserly@gmail.com
    928-899-7292

• 11.  RE: Enjoy the Holiday Season?!?!

Posted 11-16-2022 14:17
    Larry, I like that plan.

Les Koltvedt