CAUT

Expand all | Collapse all

False beat in lower plain wire.

• 1.  False beat in lower plain wire.

Registered Piano Technician
    Posted 01-25-2024 18:07

Hello.

I am experiencing something for the second time.  Two different pianos.  Piano 1 is a Steinway model D from 1998.  Piano 2 is a Model B, purchased last year, so maybe it's 2022.  

Piano 1 has a pronounced high pitched false beat in one plain wire string, F2.  It is the left side string, lowest of the plain wire strings.  Piano 2 is the same sound in F#2, but on the right side.  The other two strings of the unisons are fine.  I just can't get the "errant" string to blend with the other two.  

I have seated the strings on the bridge, tapped the bridge pin, in case it was a little loose.  I leveled the strings and mated the hammer to the strings. I also measured the strings with a digital micrometer to be sure they were the same gauge.  They were the same, but that's what is sounds like, how when two unisons won't match when one of the strings is a different gauge.  The fundamental is tuned, but the harmonics don't line up.  Worse than that, there is an actual high pitched beat even on its own.

I'm down to thinking the strings are flawed in some way, perhaps got a kink in them when being strung, or perhaps a flaw in the agraffe.  If it's the string all I can think of is changing the string.  I don't look forward to having to pull the strings up every few days, though.  And changing the agraffe seems pretty radical since I don't know for sure that is the source or the problem. 

Aso, I wondered if the agraffe was square to the strings.  

I didn't want to do anything as an experiment, so any thoughts are greatly appreciated.

Robert

------------------------------
    Robert Callaghan RPT
    Reno NV
    (775) 287-2140

• 2.  RE: False beat in lower plain wire.

Posted 01-25-2024 20:57

Sent from my iPhone

• 3.  RE: False beat in lower plain wire.

Posted 01-25-2024 21:00
    Have you tried to literally voice the hammer on the side of the string that’s given you the problem?
    Wim
    Sent from my iPhone

• 4.  RE: False beat in lower plain wire.

Posted 01-26-2024 07:14

Hi Robert-

Does the pitch of the false beat remain constant as you try to tune it out? If so it may be a  longitudinal mode sound, somewhat common in the low tenor of large grands in several brands. Not much to be done short of using different wire, perhaps more noticeable to us as tuners than end users. 

YMMV

David

David C. Brown RPT
    Garland TX
    tunermandb88.com

• 5.  RE: False beat in lower plain wire.

Posted 01-27-2024 11:20
    I have had this even if there is just one twist in the wire.
    Clarence Zeches

• 6.  RE: False beat in lower plain wire.

Posted 01-26-2024 09:43
    Close to Wim's point -- I think it's worth checking string mating to hammers. The string further away from the hammer can do all kinds of weird stuff, even when its neighbor is muted.

It's entirely plausible that the fault could be in the wire itself too. Not just from kinks (I have yet to encounter one causing a false beat but my experience here is not extensive), but also from excessive twist or uneven wrapping.

• 7.  RE: False beat in lower plain wire.

Posted 01-26-2024 10:13
    Hi, 
    More things to consider.
    Having checked everything above.  Have you looked at the underside?  This reminds me of a piano that was moved improperly where the longest beam was incidentally pushed up and was unglued from the tail leg apron.  This made the hitch pin end of the string (and at the plate) push up ( nose bolt also)  When I added thick felt instead of stringing braid through the strings it limited some of the after ring.  This is serious damage.  It could be seen and would be a problem until rebuilt.  

Also I have found pianos with very little crown or negative crown to have a weak fundamental and a long after ring or long decay making one think the dampers weren't damping.  

I would think an agraffe not being parallel with the bridge pinning could be a possibility for false beating this should be visible.  If the end of the tenor bridge has rolled I would think that could change termination lengths cause falseness.  But a rolled bridge usually affects several notes. 

I've also found this bottom of the tenor bridge to be most affected by big swings in humidity swings and you might have a damper guide rail that needs adjusting to help the dampers function.  Also check the damper pedal rod length.  These swings can move the string height more than you would think. 

Good luck and please let us know what you find. 
    Jessica 

Sent from Gmail Mobile

• 8.  RE: False beat in lower plain wire.

Posted 01-26-2024 10:33

Oh, one more thought, goofy as it may sound... Try laying a beanbag or something else damp-y on the undamped high treble strings.  On a lot of pianos the first undamped strings are F6 and F#6 (no idea off the top of my head if this is the case on B's or D's) so you might be getting some interference from sympathetic resonance.  You'd think it would affect both strings, but maybe some slight difference in inharmonicity means it affects one more than the other?

Recent drama aside, I have to confess this would be an interesting situation in which to have a PianoSens handy.

Look forward to hearing what you find, if you have a chance to go back to it.

Nathan Monteleone RPT
    Fort Worth TX
    (817) 675-9494
    nbmont@gmail.com

• 9.  RE: False beat in lower plain wire.

Posted 01-27-2024 11:10

Thank you all for your expertise.  What I'm taking away from this is that is something wrong with the wire itself.  Most likely a kink in the wire that happened unknowingly when it was put on, or the result some aggressive string leveling.  it is similar to what I heard in the 1990s and that was it then.  I changed the wire.  Now I just have to find a less inconvenient time to do that here.  Maybe over the summer.

Robert

Robert Callaghan RPT
    Reno NV
    (775) 287-2140

• 10.  RE: False beat in lower plain wire.

Posted 01-28-2024 02:11

I won't contradict anyone here, but occasionally problems are caused by too much string treatment.  I often have good luck with "unseating" the string, or tapping it gently in the direction away from its bend.

I have also cleaned up bad bass and tenor strings by just giving them a good tug near the middle of the string.

Some problems are just baffling mysteries.  I had a dead middle B string on a Baldwin R that wouldn't resolve no matter what was done to it and no obvious (or non-obvious) cause to the problem, and I tried for years.

Blaine Hebert RPT
    Duarte CA
    (626) 390-0512

• 11.  RE: False beat in lower plain wire.

Posted 02-02-2024 07:52

My first diagnostic would be to mute all NSL sections of wire (rear and front) with masking tape and see what happens. Takes two minutes at most. Process of elimination. 

Even the high undamped speaking lengths too. 

Peter Grey Piano Doctor 

Peter Grey
    Stratham NH
    (603) 686-2395
    pianodoctor57@gmail.com

• 12.  RE: False beat in lower plain wire.

Posted 02-02-2024 08:42
    Hi-  I have noticed this situation occasionally on plain wires right next to the strut, especially on the right side. My theory is they can easily get twisted during stringing if the stringer is not careful and working too fast.  From what you've already done it pretty much has to be wire, either defective or twisted.  Wait till break time and replace the wire when it's out of service for a week, then you will be fine.  

Best,
    Dennis Johnson

• 13.  RE: False beat in lower plain wire.

Posted 02-03-2024 04:41

I have numerous Steinway B's with this same issue. One of them is one that I restrung about 10 yrs. ago.   One the one I restrung, the string size is correct, bridge pins are well seated, strings are well seated, and new agraffes were installed. I've fudged with the agraffe angle to see if some improvement in the severity of the false beat, but cannot improve to an acceptable level.  I've fudged with the bridge pin angles, to no avail. I finally ended up using Scott Jone's Pitch Lock clips on the speaking side, and that improved it quite a bit, but the false beats are still present.  What am I missing?

Tom Servinsky 

Concert Artist Piano Technician

Director/Conductor- Academy Orchestra

Managing Conductor-Treasure Coast Youth Symphony

Keyboardist- Beatles Re-Imagined

Pianist with TLC Jazz Duo

tompiano@tomservinsky.com

772 221 1011 office

772 260 7110 cell

• 14.  RE: False beat in lower plain wire.

Posted 02-03-2024 05:54

Tom Servinsky-

Read the article I referenced in the August and September 2008 Journal. It specifically  references false beats in the low plainwire of S&S Bs.

The information in this article is what you are missing.

Ed

Ed Sutton
    ed440@me.com
    (980) 254-7413

• 15.  RE: False beat in lower plain wire.

Posted 02-02-2024 09:40

The article False Beats in Piano Strings – Part I by Jim Ellis,RPT, John Rhodes,RPT, James Arledge,RPT, and Darrell Fandrich,RPT in the August 2008 Journal describes false beats caused by the angle of the residual string coil arch relative to the plane of the hammer strike. 

A residual coil arch at 0 or 90 degrees to the hammer strike does not produce false beats.
    A residual coil arch at 45 degrees to the hammer strike produces clear false beats.
    This effect is most pronounced in long, low tension strings such as the lowest plain wire notes of a Steinway B, duplicated on Ellis's monochord.
    The first partial beat is generally so slow as to be inaudible, but higher partials can have pronounced false beats.
    Twisting the string does not produce false beats if the combined front and rear twists produce a zero turn relative to the hammer strike, i.e +45 degrees on one end and -45 degrees on the other.
    Thus, when stringing a piano it is desirable to orient the wire coil such that the hitch pin bend occurs in the plane of the residual coil, or errors exactly at 90 degrees to the residual coil.
    Now, this is a suggestion  by me (Ed Sutton): If, by loosening the wire you can see the arch of the residual coil, you might try putting in a counter twist (if possible) by resetting the coil on the tuning pin. With a lot of luck, this might duplicate Ellis's "front/back" twists well enough to reduce the false beats. Just a hypothesis.

Ed Sutton
    ed440@me.com
    (980) 254-7413

• 16.  RE: False beat in lower plain wire.

Posted 02-03-2024 07:49

My question is: "Are musicians complaining about this 'false beat' or is it just something that annoys the tuner/tech?"

Peter Grey Piano Doctor 

Peter Grey
    Stratham NH
    (603) 686-2395
    pianodoctor57@gmail.com

• 17.  RE: False beat in lower plain wire.

Posted 02-03-2024 09:03

So far, no one has raised an issue. But I end up spending a lot more time of massaging the unison to find an acceptable tolerance.

Tom Servinsky 

772 221 1011 office

772 260 7110 cell

• 18.  RE: False beat in lower plain wire.

Posted 02-03-2024 11:20
    Yes, those low tenor unisons are the most difficult to nail, largely due to their low tension (less movement of the pin causes more movement of pitch), and any "junk" in the sound envelope makes the job that much harder. 

Ed Sutton's suggestion of reading Ellis' article is a good one. You can access all the Journals online quite easily through the Journal Archive, a project of the Education committee (the project having been led by Jason Cassel). That particular issue can be found here.

My take on Ellis' experiment is that a bit of twist is a probably good thing when stringing. It is when an untwisted string is oriented so that the residual curl of the wire is at 45 degrees to horizontal (without twist) that false beats occur (and presumably lesser false beats would occur at orientations between 0 and 90 degrees). 

At least that's how I read it at the time, and I come to the same conclusion in rereading it. IOW, if you are very careful not to introduce any twist while stringing, it is quite possible you are going to set the stage for false beats. Counterintuitive, but that's what seems to be shown by experiment. 

Regards,
    Youtube Spotify Deezer Apple Amazon
    www.artoftuning.com
    http://fredsturm.net
    "We either make ourselves happy or miserable. The amount of work is the same." - Carlos Casteneda

• 19.  RE: False beat in lower plain wire.

Posted 02-03-2024 11:41

Fred,

Interesting...a couple of years ago during a stringing job I decided to experiment a wee bit on this issue. Two unisons side by side I took great pains to make sure there was absolutely no "twist" in the wire upon installation (my usual stringing MO clearly puts a slight twist on things as I go). The purpose was to attempt to see if the "idea" that twist introduces false beats had any merit. 

You can guess what the results were...those two unisons are essentially the messiest sounding notes on the piano (no I have not gone back to "fix" it). They continue to this day. 

True, it was not a super scientific test, but it is ironic that it happened that way. I was "expecting" them to be pure and clean. Quite the opposite. Whether it's just a fluke or not I cannot say at this time.  I don't feel like testing again. I just twist them as I go like just about every other stringer on the planet. 

Peter Grey Piano Doctor 

Peter Grey
    Stratham NH
    (603) 686-2395
    pianodoctor57@gmail.com

• 20.  RE: False beat in lower plain wire.

Posted 02-03-2024 17:28

This new thought on the origin of this type of  false beat has my mind spinning. Can't wait to get over to the one B and see if I try this remedy.  Fingers crossed that this solves this issue. Fascinating thread!!!!!

Tom Servinsky 

772 221 1011 office

772 260 7110 cell

• 21.  RE: False beat in lower plain wire.

Posted 02-04-2024 17:34

I am trying to "twist" my mind around all this. I just finished studying the two articles from '08. As I read them, twist is neither a good or a bad thing, i.e, has little of no effect on false beats. However, it is important, in the longer and lower tension strings, to make the hitchpin loop parallel or perpendicular to the residual curl of the wire. So my takeaway is that it is best to cut the wire to length, then let the wire recurl before making the hitchpin bend.  Is that the understanding of others?

The articles say that In the upper treble, false beats are more often the result of bad terminations- particularly bridgepins located in holes that have become flared at the top allowing the pin to vibrate excessively as well as strings that are not seated precisely to the bridgecap. This is exactly my experience. 

By the way, I have had some good luck in reducing/eliminating upper treble false beats by scaling to keep tension high as possible (in the 170s and 180s). Inharmonicity goes up somewhat but I don't care about that so much. My theory is that the added tension helps with all of the above issues. Am I on the right track?

Ted Kidwell, RPT, CTE
    KidwellPianoworks
    4782 Pasadena Ave.
    Sacramento, CA 95841

• 22.  RE: False beat in lower plain wire.

Posted 02-04-2024 20:39
    Hi Ted,
    My take is that it is best to introduce a bit of twist in the wire. This is natural as part of the stringing process: make the coil with the tuning pin horizontal, then turn the pin vertical (putting a 90 degree twist in the wire. 

This is not to say that one couldn't alternately do as you suggest: be aware of the curl and carefully make it either vertical or horizontal. Bradley Snook advocated for that, using a bending plier to make the hitch bend, doing it carefully with relationship to the curl of the wire.

But since a quarter twist seems to have no deleterious effect on tone, and since it seems to prevent the documented false beat issue, I just go with that. 

Regards,
    Fred Sturm
    fssturm@comcast
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity, and there is no cure for curiosity." Dorothy Parker

• 23.  RE: False beat in lower plain wire.

Posted 02-04-2024 20:46

The curl of the wire should be perpendicular to the soundboard or parallel to the soundboard. Not because of soundboard physics, but because the hammer blow is perpendicular to the soundboard.

One way to accomplish this is to wrap the curl around the hitchpin and make the bend in the same plane. This will orient the curls parallel to the soundboard (and perpendicular to the hammer blow).

Another way is to cut the double length of wire and lay it on a flat surface, then make the bend for the hitchpin by grasping the mid-point with round nosed pliers and "folding" the wire over so both half curls are co-planar. This will orient the curls perpendicular to the soundboard (and parallel to the hammer blow).

For a single tie you could make the loop a little bit oversized, then observe the coil, grasp the mire with pliers near the loop and slightly twist the loop to make the coil perpendicular or parallel.

Ed Sutton
    ed440@me.com
    (980) 254-7413

• 24.  RE: False beat in lower plain wire.

Posted 02-05-2024 14:05

Sorry to step into this thread so late. I've been extremely busy and haven't logged in for some time. After 9 months of research on false beats, I will respond briefly to your question. My Journal article about false beats is not yet complete where it will be thoroughly covered. The false beat is caused by a vertical to horizonal imbalance in stiffness of the wire at the termination, mostly at the bridge but sometimes at the capo bar. This imbalance is caused by several things, but the two most common causes for the imbalance at the bridge is: a developing gap between the wire and the wood bridge. The second most common reason is an imbalance or improper down bearing on either the speaking length section or the rear duplex section. The gap issue creates a "ghost" termination, usually in the mid-section of the bridge cap. This "ghost" termination creates a stiffness imbalance which is reflected in the speaking section as a false beat. The down bearing issue will create a different vertical to horizonal stiffness issue across the bridge cap, manifesting as a false beat. I will address this and other issues in greater detail in my report. One false beat myth we debunked is; A FALSE BEAT IS NOT CAUSED BY A LOOSE BRIDGE PIN.

Roger Gable RPT
    Gable Piano
    Everett WA
    (425) 252-5000