Electronic Tuning

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

First tuning experience using PianoSens

• 1.  First tuning experience using PianoSens

Posted 03-16-2024 19:22

Here is my first piano tuning experience using PianoSens. I am using Verituner for Android on a 2023 Moto G Play running Android 12.

Having reviewed the instructions in advance, I connected the devices and wires in the order given in the written instructions and confirming the gain setting on the preamp as 8. I then opened Verituner and everything was running as it should be, with the Verituner receiving the signal from PianoSens.

The piano was a Kawai GE-1. So it is an older, and a very small scale grand. Since I needed to create a new tuning file, as usual I had to allow for some extra time for Verituner to acquire the inharmonicity data. I did notice that on average, the time needed for the inharmonicty "I" indicator to fill up was less than when using the microphone. A couple notes did hang up a bit, but fewer than usual. On average, without a doubt it took Verituner less time to get all the inharmonicty data into memory. Reviewing the inharmonicity data afterward, none of the notes had any spurious values they occasionally get using the mic indicating they need to be remeasured. So some time was saved there.

Since I work the tuning strictly with mutes rather than a temperament strip, in this short piano it was sometimes a bit crowded because due to the plate shape I wanted to sometimes put the mutes in the same place the sensor needed to be, but I can see I will be able to figure out ways of adjusting my technique,using different mutes, and getting it into my body memory so it all works. I am not worried about it. And on a different piano the mute positions will be different.

This particular piano had its share of pitch oscillations caused by less-than-perfect terminations or other issues. Throughout most of the middle I felt I was getting pretty similar pitch readings with the sensor as I get using the mic. There were sometimes oscillations or jittery readings, but you could hear they were really happening at the string, and the sensor was just transmitting what the string was doing. If it were in mic mode it would have been worse, because it would have also been picking up various "in the air" acoustic effects also. For instance my Android device has microphones top & bottom, while the bottom mic is aimed at the soundboard, the top mic is hearing reflections off the underside of the lid. That has to be creating acoustic confusion with all kinds of phase cancellation or comb filtering effects. So overall, the PianoSens pickup with its focus on only the string just has to work better in that regard.

It also became clear what a pleasure it was to place my ETD wherever I wanted to based on visibility rather than having to take into account whether it is also well positioned for the microphone to pick up the sound.

The biggest "aahhhh moment" however was in the high treble. Up where your ear is hearing all kinds of beating you can't tune out of it, and the indicators on the tuning device are having the hardest time locking in. With the PianoSens, despite all the aural confusion, I was getting nice steady readings on the ETD. Really a pleasure. Then the capper was the top few notes where my device is just all over the place and unable to lock on anything in mic input mode. And aurally there is so much false beats confusion. With the sensor working I was getting not only a clear, locked-on pitch signal, but it was actually sustaining a bit and remaining locked onto the pitch.

So overall, based on my first tuning using PianoSens, I feel kind of like it is "worth it for the top octave alone" but with so many other improvements over aural or mic input ETD, it's kind of a "no-brainer". Can I get a great sounding tuning without it? Yes. But it feels like I will be preferring it, for sure.

------------------------------
    Rick Clark
    Carlsbad
    (760) 436-3322

• 2.  RE: First tuning experience using PianoSens

Posted 03-17-2024 11:35

Thanks for sharing your experience Rick. It's very helpful. I'd be interested in how it works on a spinet. 

"That Tuning Guy"
    Scott Kerns
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    www.thattuningguy.com

• 3.  RE: First tuning experience using PianoSens

Registered Piano Technician
    Posted 03-17-2024 12:22
    Rick,

Besides "preferring it for the top octave" I'd like to know: Does it slow you down, or can you see it increasing tuning speed, or neither? (After time) Also, if someone trained either as a top level technician or as a high level performer would probably notice a 'higher level' tuning? Lastly, was it easier to use than your Verituner in general? Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone

• 4.  RE: First tuning experience using PianoSens

Posted 03-17-2024 14:34

Hi Jim:

You can also ask me about using the Pianosens.  I have been the beta tester of all of the prototypes for the last 9 months, and I use it daily.  Someone new to the device may not have all the answers.  But then again, I don't claim to either! 

Using the Pianosens has to be done with the following guidelines.  It must be placed either close to the termination points, not near the dampers.  I have experimented with all of the prototypes and Pianosens for the last 8 months, and those are the only reliable places to get a good reading.  The reason is that the harmonics of the string are concentrated there. 

Second, the Cybertuner does not use multiple partials when in the tuning mode, whereas Pianometer and Pianoscope and Veritune use multiple partials.  This means that these programs are affected by the absence of any partial, or those that are weak.  If the input to the device (ie., mic or sensor) does not pick up a partial, it will throw off the calculation.  In my experience, using the Pianosens does not mean that all the partials are necessarily being picked up by it.  If it is not placed as above, the sensor may not pick up all of the partials because it may be sitting on a node.  Those nodes are locations where a partial or multiple partials are weaker.  There is a threshold in these programs below which a partial will not be included in the calculation, and the program will give an error in the pitch reading.

I have found that the sensor must be against the bridge pins in the upper treble to give a reliable reading.  The sensor can't be placed at the capo bar because that's where the hammer hits the string.  I usually put the sensor near the agraffes or capo in the midrange, and where there is a strut near the agraffes that prevents placing the sensor, I"ll put it against the bridge.  That's usually in the last few notes in the tenor before the treble break.  From there on up, I put it against the bridge.  This is very important for a reliable result.

Using Cybertuner with or without Pianosens will not necessarily produce better unison tuning.  The Cybertuner folks recommend using your ears to tune unisons, as do all the other ETD makers except Pianoscope.  Pianosens will not make much difference with the other ETD's, as far as unisons go, because they don't have the accuracy.  Believe me, I have used most of them, and I've never been able to get good unisons except by ear.  The ear does not have the discrimination power which is available with PIanoscope.  It is the only program capable of making perfect unisons.  However, where there are false beats, even Pianoscope doesn't always get it right, with or without the Pianosens.  I had that experience yesterday on a Samick grand.  I had to choose the best string with the least false beating, and tune the others to it by ear. 

The Pianosens is only picking up the string vibration, so it won't be "fooled" by acoustic reflections, aliquats or other noises.  But if there is a false beat coming from the string itself, it will not be able to discriminate.  You'll get some jitters.  This is most noticeable in the treble area around c5 and up. 

As far as comparing a mic to the Pianosens, often I have found that there is little difference in the lower areas of the scale.  But again, I have to be sure not to place it near the dampers.  The mics are prone to lose some partials because of the placement, and it picks up noise, so it's not ideal compared to the sensor for the ETD's input.

I just want to reiterate the success I'm having with these two tools.  Even without the Pianosens, Pianoscope is the only software that can be used exclusively for unison tuning.  The Pianosens will help with filtering out the noise, so it helps, but by itself using another program it won't necessarily improve unison tuning.

As far as speed using the sensor, yes it adds a little bit of time to set it up, maybe 1-2 minutes.  Moving it from string to string is like reaching over to change the note on an Accutuner.  A second or two.  It will even pick up the next note without moving it.  If you like tuning unisons by ear, you can save a few moments by not isolating each string with a mute.  I would say it doesn't take any more time to actually tune a string than by any other method aurally or with an ETD.

Does a high end client notice the difference?  I had a touring artist make an unsolicited comment.  She said, "I just can't stop playing the piano!".  I have had similar comments from other clients. But that's just me.

If you like smearing the unisons, that's another choice, and you can accurately place a unison a little offset, consistently.  I always thought we were supposed to make clean unisons, but there's another school of thought on that and I respect that too.

Respectfully,

Paul

Paul McCloud, RPT
    Accutone Piano Service
    www.AccutonePianoService.com
    pavadasa@gmail.com

• 5.  RE: First tuning experience using PianoSens

Posted 03-17-2024 16:02

James, since I am still a newbie with the device I don't want to project too much on concepts like tuning speed because it always takes a while to get used to new techniques and get literally up to speed on them. Things that might seem a little clumsy at first eventually get into muscle memory and then you are zipping along. But I kind of doubt that all told it will be significantly faster or slower on a grand. And speed is not my goal. To me the question is can I get at least a little better tuning than what I can get without it, and the answer to that is yes. It is not as big of an improvement as going from aural to Verituner, but it is a difference I can hear, and I don't mean just tuning tests. I mean the overall timbral experience of hearing a piece of music played. But again, that difference is mostly at the very top. My guess is a lot of people with good ears would admit to the improvement if it's pointed out, or they could hear an A/B comparison. The cleanness of the top octave especially. 

As to your last Q I am not sure exactly what you mean, but I would say it made the the Verituner readings more steady and locked in, even at the extreme ends of the piano, so overall the PianoSens seemed "easier" for the Verituner to handle than the default mic input mode. Not as jumpy or jittery. Not to mention that extraneous noises in the room mean nothing to PianoSens. This alone would have been an absolute deal maker for me in certain tuning situations (noisy public pianos, tuning with other pianos or other instruments playing nearby, and even other tuners tuning in the same space). 

Rick Clark
    Carlsbad
    (760) 436-3322

• 6.  RE: First tuning experience using PianoSens

Posted 03-17-2024 16:30
    Thanks Paul!

I'm mainly interested because as our hearing goes south this may give us a few more years of excellent tunings. So far my hearing is pretty good, but who knows... Of course I also want to keep up with cutting edge technology, for myself and to help guide young techs to the best devices. Even us old dogs can sometimes learn new tricks! 

Sent from my iPhone

• 7.  RE: First tuning experience using PianoSens

Posted 03-19-2024 13:13

I have had Pianosens for a couple weeks, but it was a light tuning time (and I am not doing that much tuning these days) so have only tuned about 4 - 5 pianos with it. I will make a few initial comments (I may do a more detailed review later):

It maybe adds five more minutes to the tuning time all told in setting up, moving the sensor around and whatnot. This time is largely made up by not needing to move around the phone to get the mic placement better. Logistics aren't as bad as I imagined, and easy to adapt to (eg, the hand is already moving the mute, so shifting the sensor isn't that much more). It would be nice if the mic wire from the sensor (hard wired) that goes to the preamp wasn't so long. It has to be kept coiled up, and takes up that much more space.

I thought I'd compare display results for some individual strings by toggling between plugged in and unplugged, but that isn't practical. It takes quite a while for the phone to figure out it needs to change input, so there is a big time delay. I have an iPad with RCT on it, so will do them in parallel next time I have an opportunity. But my sense is that the display is comparable in being clear (not jumpy) for most notes, but significantly better than mic for the more problematic notes. (If the sensor placed away from the termination, the display can actually be more jumpy than with a mic - interesting. But the vibrations at the termination are what get conveyed to the bridge. Looking at high speed video, you can see the shiver of the upper partials at the inner parts of the string, like the strike point, but they have a clearer and more defined pattern at the bridge pin). 

Some mention the top octave. Using RCT, I don't find that dramatic a difference.

I have tuned unisons to the RCT for many years, so that I could clearly establish the stability of each string. No difference here except when there is a string or two that are displaying less ambiguously with the sensor. (Of course, I use my ear to verify, but I use the ETD to correct when I decide it needs refining).

IMO, while there is at least a noticeable improvement overall in precision of display and ability to refine a tuning, the main and quite useful benefit is the fact that it isn't listening: it doesn't care if there is a leaf blower, a furnace fan, a vacuum cleaner, stage crew setting up, even musicians warming up while you are trying to finish the concert tuning. It is essentially a high quality pick-up, and is only responding to the movement of the string.

I had hoped it might be helpful for harpsichord and clavichord, but was disappointed at least in initial trials. I knew it wouldn't pick up the brass strings, but it wasn't that great for the steel ones (if there was more resolution, it was subtle). 

Fred Sturm
    University of New Mexico
    fssturm@unm.edu
    http://fredsturm.net
    http://www.artoftuning.com
    "We either make ourselves happy or miserable. The amount of work is the same." - Carlos Casteneda

• 8.  RE: First tuning experience using PianoSens

Posted 03-20-2024 02:24

Fred, there is a very rational reason why older apps that go back 30+ years will not show the instantaneous differences as compared with newer apps. The newer apps are based on using the FFT (Fast Fourier Transform) whereas older apps may use either bandpass filtering or zero crossing counts to measure frequency differences. The zero crossing technique goes like this: let's say that you want to measure 440 Hz. There are two zero crossings per sine wave, so in one second you have 880 zero crossings. If the 440 Hz tone (assuming all other partials filtered out infinitely so) is now 1 cent off, which would be 440.25 Hz. There are 1761 zero crossings in 2 seconds at 440.25 Hz. That means that you have to wait 2 seconds to detect 1761 zero crossings to get to a 1 cent-accurate measurement. If you want a 0.1 cent accurate measurement, you would need to detect 20 seconds of zero crossings. So the zero crossing technique simply estimates the 0.1 cent and cannot directly measure it. However, using the FFT like the newer apps, lets say the sample rate is 32 kHz, and so in one second you use a 32k-point FFT which gives you 16K frequency bins per second, making that spacing 2 Hz per bin. Then you use an interpolation technique such as is well known to FFT engineers and that gives you 100's of points between 2 Hz bins, or milli-Hz resolution in one second. It also gives you continuous overlapping readings every couple hundred milliseconds, giving the user visibility on an ongoing basis to see things like jitter and pitch decay. This kind of visibility is NOT possible with the older zero-crossing apps. Hope that helps explain what you vs others are observing with other apps.

Kind regards,

Steve

Steven Norsworthy
    Cardiff By The Sea CA
    (619) 964-0101

• 9.  RE: First tuning experience using PianoSens

Posted 03-20-2024 08:03

And the sensor's total deafness to outside interference (as many of us including Fred) have noticed means that we can carry on our work in total defiance of even the most obnoxious and persistent noises going on around us. No more: "Quiet please!, I'm tuning the piano!" 

I recall trying to tune on a tourist ship going out to the Isles of Shoals here out of Portsmouth years ago. The piano was right above the engine compartment (or at least it seemed like it). I thought I could accomplish it...forget it. I had to wait till the ship was docked (and it was NOT a planned trip). Those risks are now gone. 

Peter Grey Piano Doctor 

Peter Grey
    Stratham NH
    (603) 686-2395
    pianodoctor57@gmail.com

• 10.  RE: First tuning experience using PianoSens

Posted 03-20-2024 15:16
    I had the opportunity this morning to tune a piano using my iPad and iPhone side by side, phone with PianoSens, iPad using its built-in mic. The results were as I described in my earlier post: moderate increase in resolution from PianoSens. The biggest gain was in the bottom octave (steadier display versus "flashy" display). There were a few strings where PianoSens gave a significant aid in tuning.

Concerning FFT (Fast Fourier Transform) vs Zero Crossing, I have no expertise. (I gather RCT uses Zero Crossing, while TuneLab/PianoScope/PianoMeter/Verituner use FFT - correct me if I am wrong). However, I do know that I find I can get significantly better aural results with less effort tuning with RCT versus TuneLab, PianoScope or PianoMeter. This opinion is based on listening. If FFT provides more precise real-time data, that doesn't necessarily mean that a display based on it will be a better visual source for the tuner.

I am VERY skeptical of the assertion that it takes two seconds to get 1 cent resolution (on 440Hz) using zero crossing, but I have zero interest in arguing the point. 

I am interested in quality tuning. Twenty years of experience tuning with RCT (trying other options from time to time) including a large proportion of concert and recording work, has convinced me that my results are stellar (as do my own ears).

Regards,
    Fred Sturm
    "Believe those who seek the truth; doubt those who find it." Gide

• 11.  RE: First tuning experience using PianoSens

Posted 03-20-2024 19:08

Fred, make sure the IH is 'different' with the mic and sensor. It matters. Did you use separately acquired IH's? 

Steve

Steven Norsworthy
    Cardiff By The Sea CA
    (619) 964-0101

• 12.  RE: First tuning experience using PianoSens

Posted 03-20-2024 20:40
    I tuned this afternoon in a jazz venue where there is a gas furnace hung from the ceiling, with a very loud fan (it is turned off during the concerts). Typically I just stop tuning for the few minutes each heating cycle takes, but this time I plugged in PianoSens and had no problem continuing to do quality work. 

IH readings used to calculate the tuning have zero affect on how the device displays a string, how jumpy it is. I found only few tiny discrepancies between the measurements of the two devices: when I had the pitch zeroed (full blush) on the Pianosens device, the other display drifted slightly sharp or flat on a few strings. This drift was in the 0.5¢ or smaller range, not significant IMO. What is important is the quality of the unison, so as long as the device is giving consistent readings, the unisons will turn out well. 

I recall talking to Al Sanderson maybe 25 years ago, and he said some tuners wanted him to make the Accutuner more precise, react more quickly. He said that was easy to do, but it would make it much more difficult to tune with it. Better to smooth the curve, averaging the pitch over time.

I did a wee bit of experimentation with PianoScope and PianoSens this afternoon, again using iPad and iPhone in parallel. I found that the jumpiness of the "needle" (red line) was damped somewhat in the midrange, but still significantly jumpy, quite troublesome to do refined work. The high treble was damped quite a bit more, but still difficult to interpret. 

I think Al Sanderson was right, and that Dean Reyburn refined those ideas to create an interface that allows one to "know where one is" and get instant feedback as the pin is manipulated, which makes achieving stability much more efficient. While other apps may be displaying the real moving pitch more accurately in real time, that doesn't necessarily help one do good work. In fact, it is a hindrance in my experience.

Regards,
    Fred Sturm
    fssturm@comcast
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity, and there is no cure for curiosity." Dorothy Parker

• 13.  RE: First tuning experience using PianoSens

Posted 03-20-2024 21:25
    Fred, Pianoscope is supposed to be used in conjunction with the Freeze line, which is programmed to be a predetermined user-settable value of consistent FFT length. — Steve

• 14.  RE: First tuning experience using PianoSens

Posted 03-20-2024 22:56

(Again, non commercial interest, no product or app promoted or represented).

The false beats of the low notes are slow enough to be mostly inaudible but they are smearing up the app's ability to measure them. If the app uses zero crossings, it would produce lots of false crosses at the double peak frequencies that are so close. The app would not have the ability to separate them unless it used super high resolution FFT's. Here is an example of the note G1 on a concert grand. Notice the double peaks are only a couple Hz apart and only a few dB different in magnitude. This is a real problem and the errors are huge on most apps.  A very long FFT is the only practical answer.

Double Peaks

Steven Norsworthy
    Cardiff By The Sea CA
    (619) 964-0101

• 15.  RE: First tuning experience using PianoSens

Posted 03-20-2024 23:21

Except that no ETD is ever going to look at the 1st partial of G1 down at 50 Hz. If it's Cybertuner being discussed, I just pulled up their manual and it looks like for G1 they'd be using something from the 6th to 12th partial. (See Page 19.) Zero crossings should be significantly more accurate in that 300-600 Hz range. 

Anthony Willey, RPT
    http://willeypianotuning.com
    http://pianometer.com

• 16.  RE: First tuning experience using PianoSens

Posted 03-20-2024 23:52

If you are measuring IH accurately you may want to look at 50 Hz and above.

Steven Norsworthy
    Cardiff By The Sea CA
    (619) 964-0101

• 17.  RE: First tuning experience using PianoSens

Posted 03-20-2024 23:52

Hi Fred: 

I have been using the Accutuner since I began tuning in 1988, so I know what you mean about the slower display.  I can't imagine it being any jumpier.  

As far as using Pianoscope, I started using it about a year ago, and I've seen it make improvements along the way, especially the Freeze concept.  I wish all of the ETD's had this feature.  Anyway, the Freeze line helps you make better decisions because it only measures during a short duration of time after the initial blow.  The pitch is more accurately determined that way.  As you know, the pitch is constantly changing as the decay period goes on.  If you measure the pitch during the attack phase, in a limited time frame, you'll get a better reading.  Since PIanoscope (and other ETD's that use multiple partials) require measuring them to calculate the pitch, if they fade away, they can't be used.  So, the measurement needs to be done while the partials are sounding their loudest.  Waiting seconds later, the pitch is falling and the partials are fading.  All of the pitch information needed is in the first second of string vibration.

Here's the thing- this feature would not have been possible to create until recently because there wasn't enough processing power in our IOS devices to run it.  It is entirely a new concept.  Of course, we have always advised to "tune to the decay" except in the treble where we "tune to the attack".  Well, obviously, there is not other option up there.  But creating a "time window" where the pitch measurement is done, the reading is more consistent.  That's why it was invented.  The Freeze line appears after a specified time measured from the initial blow.  You can set this time window from 100 miliiseconds to 999 (1sec).  During this time, an average measurement is made, and then displays the pitch as a grey line.  Play the note again to reset the grey Freeze line.  Be sure to release the key so that the string stops vibrating for a half second so that the program knows you're resetting the Freeze.  Otherwise it gets confused and gives a false reading.  Very important point.

You can use the red line, and the "strobe" in the background, to get close to the pitch, but then use the grey Freeze line to land as close to zero as possible.  If you're in the high treble, this is more tricky especially with false beats and such.  Sometimes I'll watch the strobe in the background and try to get it to slow down and stop, or oscillate back and forth in one place.  I look at all the indicators and decide ultimately with my ears where I want to leave it.

As far as unisons go, if I use the Freeze line, I can tune beatless unisons consistently.  My tunings are much cleaner than before, and I can correct them later by simply isolating the strings and retuning them.  Bad unisons stand out like a sore thumb when the rest are quiet.  If you like smearing unisons, that's a choice too.  There is a reason that all of the ETD's suggest using your ears to tune unisons, and that is because they don't have the necessary consistency to make them perfect.  Of course, you can get them close, but by ear getting them closer than .4 cents is hit and miss.  Adding the Freeze to Pianoscope makes it easier and more accurate, down to .1 cent. Doing this requires a little extra time and finesse, but the result is worth it, IMO.

Using the Freeze feature makes it much easier to tune than watching the red line jumping all over the place.  I use them both while tuning, but the Freeze is where the pitch is most accurate.

I hope you'll give it another shot, and I hope I've explained things a little better.

Paul McCloud, RPT
    Accutone Piano Service
    pavadasa@gmail.com

• 18.  RE: First tuning experience using PianoSens

Posted 03-21-2024 14:43
    Paul,
    I have experimented with the freeze frame. I find it unreliable, since it will vary with the amplitude of the attack. I also find it doesn't meet my needs because it is a snapshot. Once it is shot, you have no further feedback with reference to it (which is what you want to reach "end goal pitch") until you play the note again, You are simply noting where it is and then moving in the direction indicated, relying on a moving and jumpy needle and a moving strobe emulation in the background - but if you use the strobe as your guide, you won't match the freeze frame when you are done.

I find that with those apps that have a "needle" (which varies from PianoScope's line to TuneLab's peak to PianoMeter's actual needle), the needle is good for the initial pitch move, but achieving accuracy and stability reliably depends on using the strobe (the moving gray rectangles).

RCT's composite display, where all elements are combined into one interface, is far more intuitive: spinner moves left and right to give rough tuning indications. As you approach the center target, it grows and spins slowly left or right. As you hone in it stops spinning and fills in, in stages. 

Since all this movement is buffered (essentially averaging pitch over several microseconds), one can develop a connection between the eye and the hand on the tuning lever. Movements of the pin are reflected in real time for their effect on pitch. This is particularly important for achieving stability, as one can make minute movements of the pin (flex/twist) and see what their effect is, aiming for equal movement sharp and flat, settling in the middle.

In the other displays described above, one sees what the target is - which way to go and how far - but while one is making the final, most important moves to precise placement of pitch, it is guesswork followed by playing the note again to confirm (deciding between conflicting information between needle and strobe, and when to look). And the final refinement of precision/stability is also problematic, as the display doesn't "follow the tuning hammer."

Regards,
    Youtube Spotify Deezer Apple Amazon
    www.artoftuning.com
    "We either make ourselves happy or miserable. The amount of work is the same." - Carlos Casteneda

• 19.  RE: First tuning experience using PianoSens

Posted 03-21-2024 22:39

No one out there seems to understand the Freeze frame concept. It's up to the inventor to explain.

No, the Freeze is not a snapshot, it is window of time from the hammer strike to about 700 milliseconds thereafter, where that 'average frequency' is measured over that duration of time window where the signal power is highest. There is no such thing as an instantaneous frequency measurement in zero time.

The real 'driving force' for the invention of the Freeze frame window is that the 'pitch' also decays as the amplitude decays. Can any human watch a continuous reading and remember were the pitch was consistently? No. The Freeze indicates that, and it is the ONLY consistent way that has ever been described or reported.

The piano decays in amplitude about 20 dB / sec in the mid range, and about 20 dB in 300 milliseconds in the upper register. Tune where the power is the highest, in the first second. The piano not only decays quickly but the human absolutely cannot perceive the pitch accurately in the first sec, nor can most any ETD, 'unless' it integrates it over that time using an FFT. 

Steve

Steven Norsworthy
    Cardiff By The Sea CA
    (619) 964-0101

• 20.  RE: First tuning experience using PianoSens

Posted 03-22-2024 11:12
    It is very helpful to learn that the freeze frame is an average of the first 700 milliseconds (2/3 of a second). That explains a lot. IOW, it includes the widest excursion of the string, the very sharpest point in the trajectory of pitch. Hence, the freeze point is always sharp of what the display is reading at the moment it appears, and in order to match the freeze point you have to "tune so the display is reading sharp" (the strobe emulation rectangles must be moving in the sharp direction). This is difficult to impossible to do with any accuracy, a very frustrating setup.

Far better to freeze on an average of 300 - 700 milliseconds in. Then you will have a target you can come close to matching during your real-time manipulation of the tuning pin using feedback from the display. 

But frankly I don't see the utility in having a frozen freeze point. From a pragmatic point of view, actually manipulating the tuning pin using feedback from the display, it is better to sacrifice extreme accuracy of pitch in exchange for clarity of what you are doing in real time. The results speak for themselves in crystal clear unisons. 

As for whether the pitch should theoretically (according to some intellectual/scientific model) be 0.2¢ or so sharp of the result you get, who cares?

Regards,
    Fred Sturm
    "Believe those who seek the truth; doubt those who find it." Gide

• 21.  RE: First tuning experience using PianoSens

Posted 03-22-2024 14:33

About the freeze line. There's a setting to change it. You can specify how many milliseconds it will average to set the freeze, and that number can be set for C0, C1, each C up to C8. On my iPad Pianoscope app, C0 is currently set to 500 ms, C1 to 400 ms, C2 through C8 all 300 ms. Nothing is set to 700. (I have not changed these settings.)
    What difference would it make to change the milliseconds? I don't know. 
    Test blows produce a sharper freeze line than normal tuning blows, so whom do you believe? Its erratic behavior makes the freeze line a nuisance distraction from the ear. 
    Personally, at the moment, I ignore the freeze line. Instead I stop the strobe blocks. When the blocks lie still, I'm good. One of the pleasures of this is that I can gaze at something pleasant and keep the strobe blocks in my peripheral vision. Try it - it's profoundly different from focusing on a small screen, and promotes the practice of listening with your whole body. 
    My pianosens is in the mail. I'll be tuning my own Kohler & Campbell studio in a few days, if I can locate the piano under the books and papers and boxes and bags.

| || ||| || ||| || ||| || ||| || ||| || ||| || |||
    Jason Kanter
    Lynnwood WA
    (425) 830-1561

• 22.  RE: First tuning experience using PianoSens

Posted 03-22-2024 15:09

Fred and Jason and Paul,

The 'blows' should be 'medium' and not 'hard' for getting the freeze line to the right number. I 'invented' the 'concept', disclosed it to Frank at Pianoscope,  and Frank 'implemented' and did a good job, kudos to Frank. As Frank and I were 'experimenting' with it during the beta phase, we indeed recommended default settings faster for higher notes and slower for lower notes. That works well, but I like putting all the settings at 700ms because where there are false beats, there is more time to resolve them at the slower setting of 700ms. 

Again, 'meduim' blows. 

I had 5 very experienced pro tuners at my house yesterday for a demonstration. I got the unisons at zero cents just and they all told me that they have 'never' heard such a perfect unison. They all had collectively experience with all the commercial tools and apps.

I can take a call at 619-964-0101.

Steve

Steven Norsworthy
    Cardiff By The Sea CA
    (619) 964-0101

• 23.  RE: First tuning experience using PianoSens

Posted 03-22-2024 15:56
    Where is the "medium" blow? And how do we control the force of the freeze-blow to anything like the degree of accuracy we're seeking? Because the slight difference in the blow will affect the precision of the freeze. My robot could do it with repeated accuracy, but not I. 
    | || ||| || ||| || ||| || jk ||| || ||| || ||| || |||
    jason's cell 425 830 1561

• 24.  RE: First tuning experience using PianoSens

Posted 03-22-2024 16:12
    Whatever blow strength you use, the prompt tone (beginning of the envelope) will be sharp, the high point in the trajectory. Including it in a freeze frame skews the frame sharp, making it essentially useless for the practical tuner, as I explained in my last post. 

I've been pushing the envelope on pure unisons for decades. I doubt the results of the use of freeze frame would impress me. 

Jason Kanter's online unison tuning exercises, developed for the education committee, clearly demonstrate the difference between "almost" and "right on." They will be available shortly to PTG members (still working through some technical issues with website and member log in). Some of them are available in a beta form here (scroll down for Module 4, tuning a unison by half cent increments (you need to hear the difference between 0.5¢ resolution and 0.0¢). (Decent headphones or earbuds are much better than computer or phone speakers for this purpose.) 

Regards,
    Fred Sturm
    fssturm@comcast.net
    Youtube Spotify Deezer Apple Amazon 
    www.artoftuning.com
    "All of humanity's problems stem from man's inability to sit quietly in a room alone. " Blaise Pascal

• 25.  RE: First tuning experience using PianoSens

Posted 03-22-2024 16:16

Any blow force below a certain level will 'not' deviate the freeze line biow to blow. That is what Paul and I and others see. You should see the same. It has to do with the nature of the nonlinearity of spring physics. The hard blows are not the way to tune.

Steve

Steven Norsworthy
    Cardiff By The Sea CA
    (619) 964-0101

• 26.  RE: First tuning experience using PianoSens

Posted 03-22-2024 16:24

An update to Fred.. of course even a medium blow force will integrate as a sharp note relative to 2 seconds later. The power is in the first second. That is what we tune to acoustically and musically.

Steve

Steven Norsworthy
    Cardiff By The Sea CA
    (619) 964-0101

• 27.  RE: First tuning experience using PianoSens

Posted 03-22-2024 16:37
    It sounds like a “test blow” would be undesirable for the freeze frame blow. But any pianissimo, piano, or mezzo piano blow should be good.

Kent

• 28.  RE: First tuning experience using PianoSens

Posted 03-22-2024 18:07
    In terms of practical and precise tuning, the pitch difference between prompt tone and two seconds later is irrelevant. We don't really care about that level of pitch difference for the note itself. What we care about is the resolution of the unison, which can best be gauged over the course of a couple seconds, at least for bass through the mid range. Gauged aurally. Does the unison hold its quality? 

And the way we get there using an ETD, watching a display while manipulating the tuning hammer, is by having the display mirror the effect of the manipulation of the pin in real time. This, of course, refers to establishing reliable stability. We don't care about the ability to create a perfect, temporary unison. That is useless. It has to last, to hold up to time and heavy playing. (Though we have no control over the effects of environmental conditions).

Stability is best gauged, using an ETD, by discovering what happens to pitch in real time when twist/flexing the pin upwards and downwards. A freeze frame is useless for this process. 

Regards,
    Fred Sturm
    www.artoftuning.com
    "A mind is not a vessel to be filled, but a fire to be kindled." Plutarch

• 29.  RE: First tuning experience using PianoSens

Posted 03-22-2024 18:53

and that is 'not' the consensus of 5 veteran 40+ year experienced tuners at my house yesterday...after I demonstrated... but to each his own... they again all said it was the most perfect tuning they had experienced...and for good reason, because there is very little power in the sound after the attack phase, and 'composers' knew that and so we listen to attach phase in music, which lasts about a second... a slow passage like the Chopin Nocturne Op. 48 No 1 is about a quarter note = 48-60 range. Composers intuitively knew that. So it does matter if you are tuning 2 or 3 secs later than that and it is too flat, and inconsistently so. This is all factually provable. There is no such thing as 'stability' as the physics of the piano note is ever changing dynamically and who cares what the pitch is when the power has decayed and the music has moved on to the next note anyway... my concepts are grounded in both the physics of the string and the music.

Steve

Steven Norsworthy
    Cardiff By The Sea CA
    (619) 964-0101

• 30.  RE: First tuning experience using PianoSens

Posted 03-22-2024 19:21

Regardless of what's "factually provable", perhaps the freeze-frame settings could include not only "from zero to x ms" but also "from x ms to y ms" so for example we could ignore the first 200 ms but freeze the average of 200-700? Seems like the existing technology might be able to specify both the beginning and the end of the measured portion? Then the arguments about the attack could be set aside while we continue to learn.

| || ||| || ||| || ||| || ||| || ||| || ||| || |||
    Jason Kanter
    Lynnwood WA
    (425) 830-1561

• 31.  RE: First tuning experience using PianoSens

Posted 03-22-2024 23:06

Partial Drifts Over Time Windows. Easy Proof of Freeze Window Tuning in First Second.

I don't like conjecture. I like data, and the data speaks for itself. This is the scientific method.

See figure below. Showing C1, E2, C4, G6. 

Comments:

C1: The fundamental and 2nd partial go in opposite directions and have large deviations that 'do matter'. So tune early and deterministically. Easy provable conclusion for the Freeze Time Window concept. Need say no more. Use it. Medium blow.

E2: Fundamental goes wildly sharp (not flat!!) during the 750-1500 ms range. Same easy provable deterministic conclusion. Tune in first second.

C4: The 2nd partial goes flat quickly while the fundamental rises to 0.5 cent from the 500ms - to - 1 sec range. Same conclusions!

G6: Very little deviation after a couple secs. The high register on my Fazioli F308 is extremely great and steady sustains of freq over time.

Steve

Partials Drift Over Time

Steven Norsworthy
    Cardiff By The Sea CA
    (619) 964-0101

• 32.  RE: First tuning experience using PianoSens

Posted 03-23-2024 01:59

Graphs like that can be a bit misleading. It looks like the pitch at the beginning is defined as "zero" and then you're measuring the deviation from the there. In my experience the pitch is always at its most wild in the moment of the attack, with the partials going in every direction. If you define that initial attack wildness as "zero" then of course the lines on the graph will appear to diverge during the decay. The graphs I'm used to seeing have the lines all over the place at the beginning and then converging during the decay. But those graphs came from notes measured with microphones...maybe things are different with the sensor.

I'd be curious what the graphs look like if the cents deviation is measured not from the initial attack but from the detected pitch from a long FFT of the whole note. 

Anthony Willey, RPT
    http://willeypianotuning.com
    http://pianometer.com

• 33.  RE: First tuning experience using PianoSens

Posted 03-23-2024 02:25

Updated and Revised with Example C4 at 250ms FFT's Ongoing... see picture

Picture below with C4 using only 250 ms FFTs ongoing.

You can easily see the issue I am talking about. Things are fairly tight at the first 250 ms and then they fall apart with longer segments at intervals every 250 ms, and by the time you get out to 800 ms, it shows how bad the choice was to use such a short integration time window. 

---original text before adding the picture---

One cannot 'render' good resolution on the lower and mid range on short FFT's like 250 msec, commonly found in apps that use FFTs for short-term readings and indicators. I can prove this. A 250 msec FFT would not resolve closely spaced double peaks that throw off or tilt the main lobes of the spectral components. This is the reason people complain about the jitteriness of FFT-based apps. They are right. The FFT-based app makers have not spend enough time looking at these issues. There is a fundamental tradeoff between Frequency Resolution and Time Length of the window in which it is measured. A 250 msec FFT from an initial 44k sample/sec ADC, even if decimated and downsampled, has bin spacing that is too wide to be of much accuracy use. It will only get you somewhat close and then you need a longer Window to get the accuracy. Does this let the zero-crossing bandpass filtering -based older apps off the hook? No, absolutely not. They have an even bigger problem letting initially enough zeros to cross that gives, as I explained and some doubted, we cannot escape the math, that it takes 1761 zero crosses covering 2 secs to get to 1 cent resolution of A 440. Sorry about this, but we cannot escape the laws of the Universe. Even if you used 880 Hz or the 2nd partial to zero count, you will have 1 sec for 1 cent, and 1 cent is very unacceptable to everyone reading this. So there is no easy way out 'except' to define an initial 1 sec Window of Time where the energy is still high and it is what we perceive musically to capture a frame of samples and get the average frequencies of the partials and get a near-perfectly perceived tuning. Ask the guys who were at my house on Thursday. Start with Paul McCloud. He can speak for them.

Steve

C4 with only 250 ms FFTs Ongoing

Steven Norsworthy
    Cardiff By The Sea CA
    (619) 964-0101

• 34.  RE: First tuning experience using PianoSens

Posted 03-22-2024 19:35

Hi Fred:

Not to beat the horse, but I have been able to achieve what you are claiming is not possible.  I use this system daily.  I use both the red line and the freeze line.  You have to anticipate and closely watch all of the indicators so that when you give a final test blow that the freeze line is as close to the target as possible.  Your test blows have to be as consistent as possible, as opposed to a harder blow meant to settle the string.  If you don't stop the string vibration before the test blow, the grey line may not be accurate.  My technique is to watch the red line go just sharp of the freeze line, and see it settle back to zero in a very short time.  Not a few seconds.  The time "window" for the red line is much shorter than the grey line, and is actually less accurate.  The red line is not continuous, but it is a repeating calculation that appears to be continuous.  Just like frames on a movie projector appear continuous.  So, the red line IS useful to get close, but the most accurate calculation is the grey line. 

In Settings on the Freeze I use 750ms from C1 up to C3.  On C4 to C6 I use 350ms, on C7 I use 300ms, and 150ms on C8.  That way I try to get the measurement during the most powerful attack time.  You can reset the freeze more quickly with a shorter freeze time.

I also like to observe the "strobe" bars in the background to see what is the tendency of the overall pitch.  If I see the strobe going strongly left or right, even if the grey line says zero, I'll question that.  A little movement either way is ok, mostly to the flat side because that's normal. 

I find that I can get the red line very close to zero on a soft blow, and the grey line will be very close also.  I wish I could observe what you're doing.

As far as unisons, like I said before, I can get them very clean using the freeze line, and they do stay there.  All of this discussion of course depends upon the skill level, not that I'm questioning yours.  It takes a little extra time to isolate the individual strings, so that's there too.  There's definitely a learning curve in this, and I had to spend extra time mastering this process.  I had to up my skills because I could see there was room to improve.  It takes some getting used to.  I do wish I had some kind of pounder that I could press a button that would give a perfectly consistent blow every time.  Maybe Pianodisc or QRS could come up with some sort of handheld plunger.  That would certainly help with getting the most accurate results. 

Whether you use the decay phase to tune unisons, or using the freeze during the first second, as long as they are clean I don't see a problem.  You just have to choose which method you're comfortable with.  Whatever works.

Anyway, all of this is new to the tuning community, and you can choose to implement whichever feature you find useful.  Or not.  Whether to tune to the decay phase is up to you, but using new measurement instruments like Pianoscope and Pianosens can show errors in doing that.  Does it matter?  Maybe it doesn't to some, but I'm not alone to think that having the most accurate method is better.  The other aspects of tuning still apply, such as proper pin setting, etc., so using this system isn't going to negate proper technique.

I appreciate your honest assessment, and your time to post it. 

Paul

Paul McCloud, RPT
    Accutone Piano Service
    pavadasa@gmail.com

• 35.  RE: First tuning experience using PianoSens

Posted 03-23-2024 11:32
    Paul,
    I said "difficult to impossible." What you describe is convoluted and difficult. And do you really have assurance that your spot on pitch is stable, that every string tuned that way will last through the Prokofiev concerto?

I simply point out that the most efficient use of an ETD, for precision AND stability, is to use the display as I described: When you are at pitch, you manipulate the tuning pin sharp and flat without moving it in the block, using flex and twist. You observe the pitch going just sharp and just flat by equal amounts and then center the pin. (When there is significant friction, it becomes more complicated).

This can best be done by using the strobe-like display in the background of PianoScope (and PianoMeter and TuneLab). But that display will be reading flat of the freeze-frame. So the strobe becomes useless for precision if you are aiming for the freeze-frame pitch. Pretty counterproductive in my view.

Then there is the question of where the freeze-frame pitch should be read. Last November, when it was invented/promulgated, we were told one should tune to the pitch that was at a particular point in the decay, with specific defaults for different parts of the range (as Jason Kanter pointed out, those are set as defaults in PianoScope, and they are significantly sooner than 700 microseconds after attack). Now we are told that the actual freeze-frame pitch is not the pitch at that point in time, but rather an average of pitch from the attack to that moment, and the inventor now likes to use 700 microseconds in.

As far as I can tell, all of this is simply BS. It doesn't matter what point of the sound envelope you tune to as long as you are reasonably consistent. The difference in pitch during the decay is not large enough to be significant. Nobody cares. A piano can be between 439.5 and 440.5 Hz and nobody will notice. 

What they _will_ notice is unisons and stability. So however you tune, that is where your main focus should be. And tuning to match a freeze-frame makes it difficult to achieve stability, because you can't use the most precise and reliable feature of the ETD display.

Regards,
    Fred Sturm
    www.artoftuning.com
    "One's real life is so often the life that one does not lead" (Oscar Wilde)

• 36.  RE: First tuning experience using PianoSens

Posted 03-23-2024 12:01
    I'll also point out that the use of a magnetic pickup is not a new invention. Steve Fairchild and Al Sanderson collaborated in designing such a device over 30 years ago, the Fairchild Accu-Pickup. You can see it in action in this YouTube video. Prior art. Magnetically attached to the bridge pins, which places it just above that termination of the string.

Regards,
    Fred Sturm
    www.artoftuning.com
    "A mind is not a vessel to be filled, but a fire to be kindled." Plutarch

• 37.  RE: First tuning experience using PianoSens

Posted 03-23-2024 13:14
    Fred,
    I am a professional patent examiner, I do this for a living. Every invention has prior art but it's all in the claims, that patents are granted.  You could have bought the Inventronics magnetic pickup. It is still listed as available. Why didn't you? Because it does  not work as well? Why does it not work as well? Because I am solving problems with the prior art and creating new art. I was already aware of the Inventronics device. I really don't know what you are trying to do here.
    Steve

• 38.  RE: First tuning experience using PianoSens

Posted 03-23-2024 17:54

Hi Fred:

Thanks for the video.  I'd never actually seen one of these, not to speak of how it's used.  I tried to order one from Inventronics, but they said they had a backlog because they couldn't source the parts.  That tells me that it is more than just a coil pickup.  They wouldn't tell me what was inside.

As far as using the Pianosens and Pianoscope, the purpose of my last post was to be sure that you were using it in the best way to get the optimum performance and accuracy.  Obviously, you have a different method, so that's fine.  We both have many years of tuning, and we know our business and what works for us.  If the extra bit of accuracy doesn't matter, and nobody can hear it, then there's no argument.  This system appeals to me, I like the extra accuracy, and I like the result.  It's a tool.  What you do with it is your choice. 

BTW, from A439.5 to A440.4 is 4 cents.  That would make a difference, but I get your point anyway.

I was mistaken about the freeze time feature.  Initially I thought it was an instantaneous measurement, and I may have mentioned that in the past.  If so, my bad.  It measures over the time period you choose. 

It boils down to this- do we tune to the attack, up to 1 sec., or wait for the string to settle to a steady state?  We want the unisons to match, which is to say they all rise in pitch and fall at the same rate so over time they closely match each other.  If you capture the frequency during the attack phase, which wasn't possible before Pianoscope and the Freeze, you can better match the strings individually and get very good unisons.  You can of course do it by ear, but if you measure them individually with this system, you'll find they are not always as perfect as you may have thought. I have found consistent blow force is crucial. 

Respectfully,

Paul

Paul McCloud, RPT
    Accutone Piano Service
    pavadasa@gmail.com

• 39.  RE: First tuning experience using PianoSens

Posted 03-23-2024 17:54

Fred,

We all knew Al Sanderson and personally I believe that if he were still here he would heartily embrace this device as a significant step up in the ETD world. Probably Steve F. (Who once told me I had ears like Newton Hunt) too I suspect. 

It seems to me that your primary objection is not actually to the device but rather to the idea of tuning unisons to within .1 cent...please correct me if I'm wrong on this. This has been a contentious issue for a very long time as I recall.

Peter Grey Piano Doctor 

Peter Grey
    Stratham NH
    (603) 686-2395
    pianodoctor57@gmail.com

• 40.  RE: First tuning experience using PianoSens

Posted 03-23-2024 19:01
    Peter,
    I always aim for unisons within 0.1¢. Have done so for decades, using SAT and then RCT. As an examiner, of course, I became an expert at reading pitch within 0.1¢.

To the extent that PianoSens gives me a clearer display, it aids in that endeavor. For RCT, as I described earlier, I found it helped somewhat.

I have also experimented with PianoScpe and the freeze frame feature, and have found it unhelpful.

I am placing my experiences and thoughts at the disposal of readers of this list. Others have different experiences and thoughts.

• 41.  RE: First tuning experience using PianoSens

Posted 03-23-2024 19:51

I see. Now I get why there's a wee bit of controversy.  So the issue is you feel you already do this as "proven" by the ETD (if I've got that right). 

What if what you "thought" you were doing actually was not exactly what you were doing?  IOW what if the unisons you thought were within the .1 cent tolerance were ACTUALLY as wide as .5cents or so in reality? And how might this be the case? Due to the inability of the device to resolve that .1 cent degree of sensitivity and essentially gave you a false report (like it gave me)?

No contentiousness intended here. My eyes were opened to something that had been concealed from my "vision" IOW I  didn't know what I didn't know (as they say). 

Peter Grey Piano Doctor 

Peter Grey
    Stratham NH
    (603) 686-2395
    pianodoctor57@gmail.com

• 42.  RE: First tuning experience using PianoSens

Posted 03-24-2024 10:45
    Peter,
    Not vision, ears. There is a clarity to crystal clear unisons, as there is a clarity to perfectly mated hammers and strings. This is not a new experience to me. I have, indeed, created unisons that match the freeze-frame for each string of a unison on PianoScope. Sounds just like what I always do. However, I am far less convinced of its stability.

It is relatively easy to tune to that level of perfection temporarily. The challenge is in having the tuning pin and string in a stable state at that point. That is the element that is missing in the system. 

If this encourages tuners to listen more carefully and strive for such cleanliness and focus of sound, wonderful!  But if that is a fleeting sound that evaporates as the piano is played, well, you need to go back to the drawing board and find out how to achieve stability.

I suggest you try the online Jason Kanter exercise in tuning unisons I referenced earlier. When you have successfully zeroed out a unison, listen. Is what you are achieving with PianoSens and PianoScope and freeze-frame different? 

Jason's exercises are created using acoustical tuning files for each note, recorded from an actual piano, selected with great care. They are then manipulated for pitch sing software created by Robert Scott of TuneLab. The results are remarkably subtle and realistic gradations between levels of purity of unison by half cent increments.

Regards,
    Fred Sturm
    www.artoftuning.com
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness." Twain

• 43.  RE: First tuning experience using PianoSens

Posted 03-24-2024 12:03

Fred,

FYI, I know I don't tune .1 cent unisons. I intentionally spread them in such way (or at least try) so as to create a more (IMO) complex, musical, and sustaining sound. All done without actually creating any beat. Primary focus is in the melody and treble sections of the piano. 

I am perfectly aware of the various schools of thought on this matter. Steve N. and I do not agree on this matter, but it doesn't matter because it's all a matter of opinion. I use pianosens to help me do what I do even better than before, and help me integrate electronics into my practice in a way that was impossible before. It's a great tool to assist anyone no matter how they go about tuning. 

When I say my eyes were opened I mean that I received a logical and coherent answer to WHY I could not rely on electronics previously to achieve the consistent accuracy that I can achieve aurally/analog. This is beginning to change due to this new tech. I am taking a fresh look at various apps to see which ones I like the best and that fit my style. 

I hope you will find the tool as useful creatively as I have. 

Peter Grey Piano Doctor 

Peter Grey
    Stratham NH
    (603) 686-2395
    pianodoctor57@gmail.com

• 44.  RE: First tuning experience using PianoSens

Posted 03-23-2024 13:22

Fred, it is not convoluted and difficult but is extraordinarily easy, as we can tune strings in 10 to 15 seconds to 0.1 cents it does subjectively sound perfect and beat-less. 

Steve

Steven Norsworthy
    Cardiff By The Sea CA
    (619) 964-0101

• 45.  RE: First tuning experience using PianoSens

Posted 03-23-2024 13:51

Fred, below is a link demonstrating how quick and easy it is to get to 0.1 cents in 10 seconds time per string. -- Steve

https://youtu.be/xXBUTAjbw_A

Steven Norsworthy
    Cardiff By The Sea CA
    (619) 964-0101

• 46.  RE: First tuning experience using PianoSens

Posted 03-25-2024 15:45

Hello-

I will not comment on PianoSens specifically, but I appreciate the thoughtful dialogue.  I not exactly sure I understand the objective either.  Ultimately, if the objective is of this technology is to achieve perfect, solid tunings without relying on aural skills then we've got a problem.  If we acknowledge that it is only an impressive tool to make that job a bit easier and faster, than we have plenty of room to adapt to different methods and all is good, IMO.  The most fun part of tuning is shaping unisons and honing in intervals beyond what the computer is able to suggest.  

thanks,

Dennis Johnson

Retired, St. Olaf College

Dennis Johnson, R.P.T.
    Johnson Piano Service
    djpianoservice@gmail.com
    djpianoservice.com
    612-599-6437

• 47.  RE: First tuning experience using PianoSens

Posted 03-20-2024 22:01
    (This is not a commercially oriented reply... there is no mention of any device or app).
    An app should give a 'resolution' time window that is consistent and represents where the max energy lies, in the first second or so after the hammer attacks. The pitch changes partial to partial very dynamically vs time. Here is a recording and measurement I did in Matlab so that I was not using any commercial ETD app. This is an objective example. Notice a huge deviation of the first and second partial from a 500 msec offset of the initial 500 msec window. Every note has a different characteristic in this way. So if the app doesn't give you a repeatable window of time to resolve the pitch within the window where the max power lies, then it is all 'guesswork' because it becomes a black box and there is no way to know.
    Steve

Partial Pitch Changes vs Time for A#1

Steven Norsworthy
    Cardiff By The Sea CA
    (619) 964-0101

• 48.  RE: First tuning experience using PianoSens

Posted 03-17-2024 16:31
    Thanks Rick, that's what I wanted to hear. 

Sent from my iPhone

On Mar 17, 2024, at 2:30 PM, Jim Busby <jimbusby950@gmail.com> wrote:

Thanks Paul!

I'm mainly interested because as our hearing goes south this may give us a few more years of excellent tunings. So far my hearing is pretty good, but who knows... Of course I also want to keep up with cutting edge technology, for myself and to help guide young techs to the best devices. Even us old dogs can sometimes learn new tricks! 

Sent from my iPhone

• 49.  RE: First tuning experience using PianoSens

Posted 03-17-2024 20:58

From an examination perspective, the accuracy, consistency, and repeatability that pianosens brings to the electronics table should make it mandatory equipment for administering an exam. If we want to make things truly fair to the applicant, it's a no brainer. 

Peter Grey Piano Doctor 

Peter Grey
    Stratham NH
    (603) 686-2395
    pianodoctor57@gmail.com

• 50.  RE: First tuning experience using PianoSens

Posted 03-19-2024 12:50

James, I think that is an excellent point. I am well into retirement age myself (though not retired) and while I remain pretty lucky hearing-wise It has of course crossed my mind that may not be forever. The strong and steady pitch readings I now get in the top octave (using PianoSens) gives me a lot of confidence it will be the finest possible tuning aid for those who are starting to lose their high frequency hearing, just as it would be unbeatable in noisy environments where you can't hear what you are doing and the noises would make the ETD jumpy when in microphone mode.

Rick Clark
    Carlsbad
    (760) 436-3322