Pianotech

Expand all | Collapse all

Floating Confessions

• 1.  Floating Confessions

Registered Piano Technician
    Posted 14 days ago

I was happy to see the discussion around the error in using F3 to set pitch morph into a discussion regarding floating pitch. It is a subject near and dear to my heart.

The way I think about it now is this: I not only float pitch, I float the entire tuning. 

When I first began my tuning career, I had very rigid ideas about my tuning. I was strictly aural for at least the first decade. I was dedicated to a "textbook" PTG test type of tuning. As the years progressed, however, I came across certain clients who seemed to want something different. One of the most obvious cases was tuning for the late jazz artist Jessica Williams. She really emphasized that she wanted a lot of stretch in the tuning and thought my first "textbook" tuning sounded sharp in the bass and flat in the treble. Graciously trying to accommodate her led to me prepping the pianos for two of her albums. She was challenging but also rewarding to work for. And she did indeed like a LOT of stretch, especially on the ends. 

One summer left the octave spread particularly wide, so I thought I'd find out what the limits of stretch were that she could tolerate. I left the piano with octaves that had a clear beat and very busy thirds. It took her less than a day let me know that I had gone too far!

I had another client, a physicist with a 7' Schimmel who requested 2:1 octaves throughout the entire compass. That also proved to be fairly challenging and also educational. 

The fact that all the ETD's have various stretch settings to choose from, shows that there is not a specific amount of stretch that is universally agreed on as perfect. In my estimation, this is one of the great ironies of the ETD: It is extremely precise at choosing high resolution pitch targets within a system that is somewhat squishy and flexible. It can be akin to adjusting pixels in a 1200 dpi image that will be shown on a 600 dpi screen.

This squish factor can certainly be used to a technician's advantage if you are the type who attempts to serve your client's best interests by making the pianos as nice as you can for the time that you have. This is opposed to what Darrel Fandrich used to describe as the "tune and run" tuner. In other words, looking for opportunities to shave time off tuning to address touch and tone issues. And it is rare to find a piano without touch and tone issues. 

Experience over time helps one learn what the limits are. Like everything in piano work, you have to overdo and underdo things in order to discover where the sweet spots lie. Discovering how far you can reasonably and professionally float the pitch and the stretch the octaves is one of the most powerful tools a technician can develop. 

------------------------------
    Ryan Sowers RPT
    Olympia WA
    (360) 480-5648

• 2.  RE: Floating Confessions

Posted 14 days ago
    In response to Ryan, here are my thoughts. 

First, I don't float. All my pianos are tuned to 440. I also do not cater to extraordinary demands of clients. By that I mean, if a client wants a temperament or stretch that I don't like, let him/her get another tuner. I don't mind losing a client he/she doesn't like my tuning. That doesn't mean I won't try to satisfy the demands of a client that has a legitimate concern. I have a very demanding "boss" at the university. She has a very good ear and will tell me when a note is off or needs to be voiced. But the piano is tuned within my parameters, and I will work very hard to achieve that goal. But to try to "stretch" the tuning that's out of my comfort zone, no.  

The reason I don't cater to special demands is because I really don't believe that they hear it. I think they are being demanding just because they think it will make them look important or exceptional. I might be wrong, but that's how I feel. 

Case in point. Back in St. Louis I tuned a piano for piano teacher from Russia with an old German upright. After I tuned here piano the first time, she plucked each string of a unison, starting at about C5, and told me the middle was flat, or the right string was sharp, etc. I worked like a dog to get those unisons in tune. This process would take another 30 - 45 minutes, but I only charged her the same amount as a regular tuning. After the 4th time I tuned her piano, I purposely left three or four string slightly flat to see if she could indeed hear the difference. Guess what. She totally missed those strings. She was just doing this plucking to make herself look like she was better than me. So I told her that from now on, if she wanted to check every unison, she would have to pay extra. That's the last time I saw her. 

I learned a long time ago that you can't satisfy every customer. For whatever reason, it could be a personality thing, or I said something wrong, or she/he didn't like my tuning, some customers don't want you to tune their piano again. And I'm OK with that.  

The bottom line is, do the best you can, be as nice as possible, and hope the customer will call you back. If they get too demanding for a reason that I don't like, I let them go, and move on. 

Thank you, Ryan, for opening this conversation. 

Wim

• 3.  RE: Floating Confessions

Posted 14 days ago

Very good thoughts Wim. I agree on all your points. 

I don't float pitch for one simple reason. If the piano isn't in a stable environment, how am I supposed to know that if I'm the one constantly changing the pitch at which I tune to? Is it -10¢ because of the room, or because I put it there? I've had other (very good) technicians tell me that this piano or that piano isn't stable. But I find that when it's tune to a consistent 440, things magically start to stabilize more often than not. 

My only exception is where certain orchestras need a 442 tuning. I'm ok doing that, but it will cost them extra if the piano's not already at 442. But that's it. Like Wim said, if they're going to be difficult for the sake of being difficult, they can find someone else. I actually like working for discerning clients, but there's a difference between being discerning and being difficult. 

Benjamin Sanchez, RPT
    Piano Technician / Artisan
    (256) 947-9999
    www.professional-piano-services.com

• 4.  RE: Floating Confessions

Posted 14 days ago

Professional string players are among the pickiest musicians when it comes to intonation. However, even among the top musicians they admit to some flexibility: https://new.theviolinchannel.com/vc-vox-pop-what-is-your-preferred-tuning-a-pitch-frequency-q-and-a/

For those who claim not to float, are you saying you take a nice sounding piano at 440.7 HZ at A4 at retune the entire piano to fit narrow targets calculated by your ETD? What do you think you are gaining by doing this? 

Pianos can easily change 2 cents within days with modest temperature and humidity changes. 

The PTG exam's definition of "perfect" is to be within a 2 cent window of A440. An examinee that tunes A4 between 439.75 and 440.25 get a 100% score on pitch. 

I'm hoping that those tuners who have the habit of always imposing A440.0 onto pianos can be convinced of the value of flexibility. There is an old saying I have heard that "the fewer change to the tuning, the more stable the tuning will be." But there is also a big advantage when it comes to the full-service approach to piano service. 

Personally, for most situations I'm satisfied if the piano is between 439.5 and 441.5. 442 is fine on most pianos at the end of summer and beginning of fall. If the tuning is bad enough, and I have to start from scratch, I set the pitch based on my experience with my climate. I don't usually set pitch to below 440, but if it's the humid time of year I certainly don't mind 441. 

Often it can work out to find an area of the tuning that is fairly consistent and use that as the basis for the tuning. For instance, if the entire 5th and 6th octave is 3 cents sharp but the midrange has sagged, I'll bring up the midrange to be in line with the treble. Sometimes the bass has not changed much, and using the bass as the pitch standard can save 15-20 minutes off of a tuning. This is just 2 situations of many. 

A useful thought experiment is when you come to a piano, take a minute and play it while paying attention to the overall sound. Then ask yourself "if I could only tune or voice this piano, what would make the biggest difference to the client?" I regularly file hammers and fit them to the strings prior to tuning. Often the client can immediately hear the improvement in tone and are surprised that I haven't tuned a note yet. 

Floating the pitch and the overall shape of the tuning can give you valuable time that can be utilized to make improvements to your clients' pianos that will surprise them (and you!). It also gives you more time to practice regulating and voicing skills that can take years to develop. Just like practicing the piano, daily practice of voicing and regulating skills can really add up over a long period of time and persistence. 

Ryan Sowers RPT
    Olympia WA
    (360) 480-5648

• 5.  RE: Floating Confessions

Posted 14 days ago
    "For those who claim not to float, are you saying you take a nice sounding piano at 440.7 HZ at A4 at retune the entire piano to fit narrow targets calculated by your ETD? What do you think you are gaining by doing this?"

For me it's the opposite. Why tune the entire piano at 440.7, when it's only the middle 2 octaves that are off? What note do we measure? A4, C4, F3, C4? Each one of those notes can be off by various degrees. I've found is that when the middle is off, the outer octaves are not. So why tune the entire piano, when all you have to tune is the middle two octaves, especially around the break. 

Wim

• 6.  RE: Floating Confessions

Posted 14 days ago

Examples of times I'll float a piano:

• It's brand new from the store and tuned at A=442. I'll float at A=442. 
    • It's the same piano, 1 year later. I'll float at A=441. Next year A=440.5 or A=440. 
    • I've got a customer tuning the piano twice a year in dry/humid seasons. (I try to discourage people from doing this.) I'll float to between -2 and +6 cents, preferably something that doesn't make me re-tune the entire treble up and down each year. (I've found that the 2nd and 3rd note below the treble break are often a good indicator of where to float the piano...think D5 and D#5.) 
    • If somebody's tuning their piano near the end of a humid or dry season, I'll sometimes anticipate the coming humidity swing, tuning the bottom few tenor plain wire strings slightly sharp or flat. For example, if it's February, I might tune F3 3 cents flat, F#3 2.5 cents flat, G3 2 cents flat, etc. That way when spring comes the piano will sound better before it sounds worse, and it won't sound as bad in the summer. I hate having pianos swing out of tune a month after I tune them. 
    • If a customer asks for a specific pitch standard, I'll accommodate that. 
    • If it's a hundred year old piano that's a half step flat and has broken strings. Float to -100 cents. 

Anthony Willey, RPT
    http://willeypianotuning.com
    http://pianometer.com

• 7.  RE: Floating Confessions

Posted 13 days ago

For 7 years I floated pitch on concert pianos between 440.8 and 441.5 in this one concert venue and never heard 1 complaint. That orchestra has a full schedule of 10 Masterworks per year(usually 4-5 w/piano) and 5 Pops programs per year(all w/piano), not to mention all the 1-nighters that come through that venue. When I first started that gig, I was hell bent on maintaining 440.8. That's where the pianos usually started in the beginning of the season(October in Florida after a 4 month hiatus during the summer). In my mind I was making sure the pitch on any of those pianos could be counted on. A few years of growing into the gig and the pitch did not matter..the stability did, and always did. So, I floated. 

Your mileage may vary depending on the persnickitiest players. Oboist in that orchestra never had a problem with me. That to me is the test. 

-Phil Bondi

• 8.  RE: Floating Confessions

Posted 13 days ago

Once upon a time there was a tuner named Morris Schnapper. One day Schnappsie, as he was called, was tuning the Steinway at Carnagie Hall for the Philadelphia Orchestra. Eugene Ormandy walked onstage and declared "That piano is sharp. 441 maybe or even 442." Schnappsie didn't miss a beat. He pulled out his tuning fork, struck it on his knee, set it on the bridge to be audible and said "All right maestro...start counting". Legend has it Ormandy laughed and left Morris alone after that.

For what it's worth, I've seen the air conditioning in a concert hall make a concert grand go 2.5 cents sharp in under 15 minutes. If you leave your fork on the plate the way we were taught back in the iron age It'll probably go sharp by about the same amount. Either way there's just no substitute for listening to the piano. 

Karl Roeder
    Pompano Beach FL

• 9.  RE: Floating Confessions

Posted 13 days ago
    I don’t float the pitch for a variety of reasons. First, I’m hired to tune the piano, and 440 is the standard pitch. One can argue that the typical customer can’t tell the difference, but that opens the door to other kinds of corner cutting, such as ignoring the top and bottom notes: “Why bother? She’ll never know, and anyway she said she just play hymns at the holidays.”

If I get to a new customer and the piano is 10c flat, leaving it there means I’m making assumptions about many things, such as the stability of the customer’s home, and the structure/stability of the piano. Sure, maybe that low pitch will bounce up with the next season, but how can I be sure? Right now in Oregon the weather is cool and rainy. But there are years where the spring is very hot and dry—or it goes back and forth dramatically.

That leads to other sticky questions: what exactly quantifies as a raise? Everyone has different opinions. For some, 3 cents low, for others, 10 cents. Who is to say?

Another issue I have with floating the pitch is the simple fact that pitch doesn’t rise or fall evenly across the range. Typically, the bass changes the least and the high treble changes the most. Often, I’ll come to a piano with the bass right in tune but the middle a few cents flat. So what am I floating—the bass, middle, or treble? Something will have to change.

• 10.  RE: Floating Confessions

Posted 13 days ago

"I don't float the pitch for a variety of reasons. First, I'm hired to tune the piano, and 440 is the standard pitch."

I addressed this issue in my first post, but it was a link so folks may have not actually followed it. I'll cut and paste it here. The Gist is that the very best string players and many concert masters rarely (if ever) use A440. 

Don't get me wrong - there's nothing wrong with A440. You could look at A440 as being the center of a bullseye that is about 4 cents wide. Moreover, at this point in 2024, I see A441 as being as legit as 440 unless I'm tuning for a recording that requires A440 specifically. Again - PTG requires that pitch be set at between 439.75 and 440.25 to be considered "perfect" or 100%. 

I question the idea that clients hire us to tune the piano at A440. Clients have almost no understanding of what is involved with professional piano work. They hire us because they want their piano to sound and play more beautifully.

The Violin Channel recently caught up with 30+ of the world's top string players to find out …

'What is your preferred tuning A-pitch frequency?"

The Violin Channel recently caught up with 30+ of the world's top string players to find out …

Violin Virtuoso Itzhak Perlman:

"I like A=442 as it is slightly on the sharp side, but A=440 is fine also ... what's important is that everything is in tune ..."

British Cello Soloist Steven Isserlis:

"I don't mind, I go from A=430 up to A=443 ... just not down as far as A=415 as I'd find that distracting ..."

German Violin Soloist David Garrett: 

"Normally I go for A=442 ... I know in Berlin the orchestras are quite high at A=444 ... but A=442 I think is a good medium ..."

Canadian Violin Soloist James Ehnes:

"Anywhere between A=440 and A=442 is fine with me ... my violin is set up to work best at that range of tension, and that is what my ear is most used to ... below A=440 starts to sound and feel "soggy" to me, and above A=442 can seem shrill ..."

Korean-American Violin Soloist Sarah Chang:

"A=442 ... it keeps my violin sounding bright without over-stressing the wind and brass players ..."

Australian Soloist, VC Artist Violinist Ray Chen:

"A=442 ... it makes everything sound sweeter ..."

VC Young Artist Violinist William Hagen:

"I think A=442 is great ... I really don't like a flat A, but when the A is too sharp it can make everything sound really severe and tight ..."

Berlin Philharmonic Concertmaster, VC Artist Violinist Noah Bendix-Balgley:

"At the moment, I'm most comfortable with A=442 - a compromise between higher European A-frequencies, and lower American ones .... I feel if the A gets too high (A=444) it pinches the resonance of the instrument ..."

Milwaukee Symphony Concertmaster, Frank Almond:

"I like a little over A=441 ... the funny thing is that I've noticed most groups that tune to A=440 or A=441 end up playing a little over A=441 anyway ... in Europe it always seems like the sky's the limit…..."

Dallas Symphony Concertmaster, Alexander Kerr:

"A=441 ... it lends just enough brightness to the sound without losing the sensation of being able to dig into the string..."

Canadian Violinist, VC Artist Nikki Chooi:

"A=441 ... it's not too high, not too low - just right ..."

American Soloist, VC Artist Violinist Stefan Jackiw:

"I find that this changes with humidity ... during dry weather I prefer A=440 ... during humid weather I prefer A=442 or even higher ..."

VC Artist Cellist Kian Soltani:

"A=442 ... simply cause it's the best ..."

Time For Three Violinist, VC Artist Charles Yang:

"I'm currently on tour in Europe and the band tunes to A=442 - I like it! ... it makes my instrument sound brighter ..."

French Violinist Augustin Dumay:

"I prefer the A=440 which is used in England, as it seems to me musically balanced, and protective of an exaggerated tension for the instruments ..."

British Violin Soloist Nicola Benedetti:

"The UK A=440 is a little flat for my liking but I have to stay flexible, otherwise I'd be in trouble ... I don't have perfect pitch so the adjustment is less painful for me than it can be for some ..."

Canadian Violin Soloist Lara St. John:

"I find A=441.5 to be my perfect A - but I am pretty adjustable ... A=441.5 sounds really good on a violin, and it's kind of mid-Atlantic ..."

American Violin Soloist Anne Akiko Meyers:

"A=442 ... it's a happy place that's just higher than 441 but lower than 443 ..."

Russian-American Violin Soloist Philippe Quint:

"My preferred pitch is A=442 ... however I now frequently ask to meet with the Principal Oboe before the concert to get the orchestra's "Official A" ... so not to spend 5 minutes re-tuning my violin onstage ..."

Violinist Rachel Barton Pine:

"I most frequently perform at A=440, 441, 442 and 415, with occasional forays into A=430 and even A=392 ... A=440 has always been my favorite because of its resonance .... trying A=460 is on my bucket list though ..."

VC Artist Violinist Benjamin Beilman:

"I'm not so picky – probably somewhere between A=441 and A=442 ... A=440 sometimes feels a little sleepy and anything over A=443 feels over caffeinated ..."

VC Artist Violinist Angelo Xiang Yu:

"This particular violin likes somewhere between A=441.5 and A=442 .... I find it gives the most natural ring and vibration ... but hey! Most of the time I don't get to choose ..."

Cellist Zuill Bailey:

"My preference is A=441 ... I find that harmonics ring low and I want to make sure that nothing sounds flat ... "

Violin Soloist Vadim Gluzman:

"I am blessed (or cursed?) with perfect pitch so it is a sensitive subject ... but I am happy between A=440 up to A=443/444 ... string players often tend to like higher tuning, but it often causes our intonation to go quite a bit "north" ..."

Violin Soloist Arnaud Sussmann:

"I like A=441 ... it's a nice middle ground between the very high "A" people tune to in Europe and the standard A=440 ... I feel instruments start sounding a bit under too much tension when the pitch rises above A=443 ..."

New England Conservatory Faculty Member, Violinist Paul Biss:

"I have learned long ago not to insist on one ... in general, though, I prefer not to go higher than A=442 ... I think the instrument rings better that way ..."

Curtis Institute Faculty Member, Violinist Ida Kavafian:

"I think we should be able to adjust to any pitch ... I can't stand when students make an excuse for the A not being where they expect - it's a poor excuse for bad intonation ... however, when I'm in charge, I ask for A=441 ..."

Veteran New England Conservatory Cello Pedagogue, Laurence Lesser:

"I don't have perfect pitch, but since that's kind of like "hearing" colours, I've gotten used to A=441 ... above and below just sounds different  .... A=441 is the colour I like ..."

VC Artist Violinist Paul Huang:

"A=442 or A=443 if possible ... for me it just rings better when the A is a higher frequency and it sounds more brilliant ...."

VC Artist Violinist Tessa Lark:

"Flexibility in this realm is important so I don't have a preference ... but my natural A frequency when I sing is A=432 .... the perfect pitch in me was relieved to find out that many of my favorite composers (Bach, Mozart, Debussy & Chopin) wrote their masterpieces using 432Hz tuning ..."

VC Artist Violinist Bella Hristova:

"I like A=441 ... I think the violin sounds really brilliant at this frequency ..."

VC Young Artist Violinist Kerson Leong:

"When I practice alone, I always lean towards a lower A pitch for no apparent reason ..."

VC Artist Violinist Fedor Rudin:

"I don't have one, I feel as comfortable with A=443 as with A=415 ... but the tuning does help create a different atmosphere and sound projection ...."

VC Artist Violinist Igor Pikayzen:

"I don't swear by a particular pitch frequency, and when you travel you obviously graciously accept the A that the orchestra tunes to .... but if I would have to choose I'd go with A=442 or A=443 - for me, it just sounds more in focus to my ear!"

VC Young Artist Violinist In Mo Yang:

"???? ... no matter what your preferred A there are still many ways to play out of tune ..."

Ryan Sowers RPT
    Olympia WA
    (360) 480-5648

• 11.  RE: Floating Confessions

Posted 13 days ago

This should be reprinted in PTJ.

Blaine Hebert RPT
    Duarte CA
    (626) 390-0512

• 12.  RE: Floating Confessions

Posted 13 days ago
    A440 is kind of like a policy. Policies are a kind of like “laws” we should follow, so that can all get along. Driving on the right, no drinking and driving, play and sing in tune. We follow the law, but when necessary, break them when is convenient and we all agree that’s OK as long as it doesn’t hurt anyone.

All or examples Ryan posted are examples of the policy of A440 being broken. But without knowing the policy is for A to be at 440, they are just picking a pitch they like.

International pitch is still 440. Piano manufactures have built their pianos to sound the best at 440. Until that changes, or unless a performer wants it different, my pianos are tuned to 440.

Wim
    Sent from my iPhone

• 13.  RE: Floating Confessions

Posted 9 days ago

VC Young Artist Violinist In Mo Yang:

"???? ... no matter what your preferred A there are still many ways to play out of tune ..."

Great answer, he's not afraid of being different from the others, and he ended up with the best answer.

Hugh Trott
    musician
    No affiliations

• 14.  RE: Floating Confessions

Posted 8 days ago
    There is a difference between tuning an instrument to a pitch, regardless of what that pitch is, and playing in tune.

Sent from my iPhone

• 15.  RE: Floating Confessions

Posted 8 days ago

Mo Yang went: "???? ... no matter what your preferred A there are still many ways to play out of tune ..."

Reminds me of a favorite movie quote:

"There are fifty ways to screw up on this job. If you can think of twenty of them, you're a genius......and you ain't no genius"
        ...........Mickey Rourke to William Hurt, in "Body Heat", discussing arson.

William Ballard RPT
    WBPS
    Saxtons River VT
    802-869-9107

"Our lives contain a thousand springs
    and dies if one be gone
    Strange that a harp of a thousand strings
    should keep in tune so long."
    ...........Dr. Watts, "The Continental Harmony,1774

• 16.  RE: Floating Confessions

Posted 8 days ago
    Hi, Bill....

Sadly, Hurt found the 51st way....

Cheers!

Horace

On 5/8/2024 12:40 PM, Bill Ballard via Piano Technicians Guild wrote:
    > Mo Yang went: "???? ... no matter what your preferred A there are still many ways to play out of tune ..."
    >
    >
    > Reminds me of a favorite movie quote:
    >
    > "There are fifty ways to screw up on this job. If you can think of twenty of them, you're a genius......and you ain't no genius"
    > ...........Mickey Rourke to William Hurt, in "Body Heat", discussing arson.
    >
    >
    > ------------------------------
    > William Ballard RPT
    > WBPS
    > Saxtons River VT
    > 802-869-9107
    >
    > "Our lives contain a thousand springs
    > and dies if one be gone
    > Strange that a harp of a thousand strings
    > should keep in tune so long."
    > ...........Dr. Watts, "The Continental Harmony,1774
    > -------------------------------------------
    > Original Message:
    > Sent: 05-03-2024 13:19
    > From: Ryan Sowers
    > Subject: Floating Confessions
    >
    >
    > "I don't float the pitch for a variety of reasons. First, I'm hired to tune the piano, and 440 is the standard pitch."
    >
    > I addressed this issue in my first post, but it was a link so folks may have not actually followed it. I'll cut and paste it here. The Gist is that the very best string players and many concert masters rarely (if ever) use A440.
    >
    >
    > Don't get me wrong - there's nothing wrong with A440. You could look at A440 as being the center of a bullseye that is about 4 cents wide. Moreover, at this point in 2024, I see A441 as being as legit as 440 unless I'm tuning for a recording that requires A440 specifically. Again - PTG requires that pitch be set at between 439.75 and 440.25 to be considered "perfect" or 100%.
    >
    >
    > I question the idea that clients hire us to tune the piano at A440. Clients have almost no understanding of what is involved with professional piano work. They hire us because they want their piano to sound and play more beautifully.
    > The Violin Channel recently caught up with 30+ of the world's top string players to find out ???
    > 'What is your preferred tuning A-pitch frequency?"
    >
    > The Violin Channel recently caught up with 30+ of the world's top string players to find out ???
    >
    > Violin Virtuoso Itzhak Perlman:
    >
    > "I like A=442 as it is slightly on the sharp side, but A=440 is fine also ... what's important is that everything is in tune ..."
    >
    > British Cello Soloist Steven Isserlis:
    >
    > "I don't mind, I go from A=430 up to A=443 ... just not down as far as A=415 as I'd find that distracting ..."
    >
    > German Violin Soloist David Garrett:
    >
    > "Normally I go for A=442 ... I know in Berlin the orchestras are quite high at A=444 ... but A=442 I think is a good medium ..."
    >
    > Canadian Violin Soloist James Ehnes:
    >
    > "Anywhere between A=440 and A=442 is fine with me ... my violin is set up to work best at that range of tension, and that is what my ear is most used to ... below A=440 starts to sound and feel "soggy" to me, and above A=442 can seem shrill ..."
    >
    > Korean-American Violin Soloist Sarah Chang:
    >
    > "A=442 ... it keeps my violin sounding bright without over-stressing the wind and brass players ..."
    >
    > Australian Soloist, VC Artist Violinist Ray Chen:
    >
    > "A=442 ... it makes everything sound sweeter ..."
    >
    > VC Young Artist Violinist William Hagen:
    >
    > "I think A=442 is great ... I really don't like a flat A, but when the A is too sharp it can make everything sound really severe and tight ..."
    >
    > Berlin Philharmonic Concertmaster, VC Artist Violinist Noah Bendix-Balgley:
    >
    > "At the moment, I'm most comfortable with A=442 - a compromise between higher European A-frequencies, and lower American ones .... I feel if the A gets too high (A=444) it pinches the resonance of the instrument ..."
    >
    > Milwaukee Symphony Concertmaster, Frank Almond:
    >
    > "I like a little over A=441 ... the funny thing is that I've noticed most groups that tune to A=440 or A=441 end up playing a little over A=441 anyway ... in Europe it always seems like the sky's the limit???..."
    >
    > Dallas Symphony Concertmaster, Alexander Kerr:
    >
    > "A=441 ... it lends just enough brightness to the sound without losing the sensation of being able to dig into the string..."
    >
    > Canadian Violinist, VC Artist Nikki Chooi:
    >
    > "A=441 ... it's not too high, not too low - just right ..."
    >
    > American Soloist, VC Artist Violinist Stefan Jackiw:
    >
    > "I find that this changes with humidity ... during dry weather I prefer A=440 ... during humid weather I prefer A=442 or even higher ..."
    >
    > VC Artist Cellist Kian Soltani:
    >
    > "A=442 ... simply cause it's the best ..."
    >
    > Time For Three Violinist, VC Artist Charles Yang:
    >
    > "I'm currently on tour in Europe and the band tunes to A=442 - I like it! ... it makes my instrument sound brighter ..."
    >
    > French Violinist Augustin Dumay:
    >
    > "I prefer the A=440 which is used in England, as it seems to me musically balanced, and protective of an exaggerated tension for the instruments ..."
    >
    > British Violin Soloist Nicola Benedetti:
    >
    > "The UK A=440 is a little flat for my liking but I have to stay flexible, otherwise I'd be in trouble ... I don't have perfect pitch so the adjustment is less painful for me than it can be for some ..."
    >
    > Canadian Violin Soloist Lara St. John:
    >
    > "I find A=441.5 to be my perfect A - but I am pretty adjustable ... A=441.5 sounds really good on a violin, and it's kind of mid-Atlantic ..."
    >
    > American Violin Soloist Anne Akiko Meyers:
    >
    > "A=442 ... it's a happy place that's just higher than 441 but lower than 443 ..."
    >
    > Russian-American Violin Soloist Philippe Quint:
    >
    > "My preferred pitch is A=442 ... however I now frequently ask to meet with the Principal Oboe before the concert to get the orchestra's "Official A" ... so not to spend 5 minutes re-tuning my violin onstage ..."
    >
    > Violinist Rachel Barton Pine:
    >
    > "I most frequently perform at A=440, 441, 442 and 415, with occasional forays into A=430 and even A=392 ... A=440 has always been my favorite because of its resonance .... trying A=460 is on my bucket list though ..."
    >
    > VC Artist Violinist Benjamin Beilman:
    >
    > "I'm not so picky ??? probably somewhere between A=441 and A=442 ... A=440 sometimes feels a little sleepy and anything over A=443 feels over caffeinated ..."
    >
    > VC Artist Violinist Angelo Xiang Yu:
    >
    > "This particular violin likes somewhere between A=441.5 and A=442 .... I find it gives the most natural ring and vibration ... but hey! Most of the time I don't get to choose ..."
    >
    > Cellist Zuill Bailey:
    >
    > "My preference is A=441 ... I find that harmonics ring low and I want to make sure that nothing sounds flat ..."
    >
    > Violin Soloist Vadim Gluzman:
    >
    > "I am blessed (or cursed?) with perfect pitch so it is a sensitive subject ... but I am happy between A=440 up to A=443/444 ... string players often tend to like higher tuning, but it often causes our intonation to go quite a bit "north" ..."
    >
    > Violin Soloist Arnaud Sussmann:
    >
    > "I like A=441 ... it's a nice middle ground between the very high "A" people tune to in Europe and the standard A=440 ... I feel instruments start sounding a bit under too much tension when the pitch rises above A=443 ..."
    >
    > New England Conservatory Faculty Member, Violinist Paul Biss:
    >
    > "I have learned long ago not to insist on one ... in general, though, I prefer not to go higher than A=442 ... I think the instrument rings better that way ..."
    >
    > Curtis Institute Faculty Member, Violinist Ida Kavafian:
    >
    > "I think we should be able to adjust to any pitch ... I can't stand when students make an excuse for the A not being where they expect - it's a poor excuse for bad intonation ... however, when I'm in charge, I ask for A=441 ..."
    >
    > Veteran New England Conservatory Cello Pedagogue, Laurence Lesser:
    >
    > "I don't have perfect pitch, but since that's kind of like "hearing" colours, I've gotten used to A=441 ... above and below just sounds different .... A=441 is the colour I like ..."
    >
    > VC Artist Violinist Paul Huang:
    >
    > "A=442 or A=443 if possible ... for me it just rings better when the A is a higher frequency and it sounds more brilliant ...."
    >
    > VC Artist Violinist Tessa Lark:
    >
    > "Flexibility in this realm is important so I don't have a preference ... but my natural A frequency when I sing is A=432 .... the perfect pitch in me was relieved to find out that many of my favorite composers (Bach, Mozart, Debussy & Chopin) wrote their masterpieces using 432Hz tuning ..."
    >
    > VC Artist Violinist Bella Hristova:
    >
    > "I like A=441 ... I think the violin sounds really brilliant at this frequency ..."
    >
    > VC Young Artist Violinist Kerson Leong:
    >
    > "When I practice alone, I always lean towards a lower A pitch for no apparent reason ..."
    >
    > VC Artist Violinist Fedor Rudin:
    >
    > "I don't have one, I feel as comfortable with A=443 as with A=415 ... but the tuning does help create a different atmosphere and sound projection ...."
    >
    > VC Artist Violinist Igor Pikayzen:
    >
    > "I don't swear by a particular pitch frequency, and when you travel you obviously graciously accept the A that the orchestra tunes to .... but if I would have to choose I'd go with A=442 or A=443 - for me, it just sounds more in focus to my ear!"
    >
    > VC Young Artist Violinist In Mo Yang:
    >
    > "???? ... no matter what your preferred A there are still many ways to play out of tune ..."
    >
    >
    > Ryan Sowers RPT
    > Olympia WA
    > (360) 480-5648
    >
    > Original Message:
    > Sent: 05-03-2024 10:09
    > From: Scott Cole
    >
    > I don't float the pitch for a variety of reasons. First, I'm hired to tune the piano, and 440 is the standard pitch. One can argue that the typical customer can't tell the difference, but that opens the door to other kinds of corner cutting, such as ignoring the top and bottom notes: "Why bother? She'll never know, and anyway she said she just play hymns at the holidays."
    >
    > If I get to a new customer and the piano is 10c flat, leaving it there means I'm making assumptions about many things, such as the stability of the customer's home, and the structure/stability of the piano. Sure, maybe that low pitch will bounce up with the next season, but how can I be sure? Right now in Oregon the weather is cool and rainy. But there are years where the spring is very hot and dry-or it goes back and forth dramatically.
    >
    > That leads to other sticky questions: what exactly quantifies as a raise? Everyone has different opinions. For some, 3 cents low, for others, 10 cents. Who is to say?
    >
    > Another issue I have with floating the pitch is the simple fact that pitch doesn't rise or fall evenly across the range. Typically, the bass changes the least and the high treble changes the most. Often, I'll come to a piano with the bass right in tune but the middle a few cents flat. So what am I floating-the bass, middle, or treble? Something will have to change.
    >
    >
    > Original Message:
    > Sent: 5/2/2024 3:19:00 PM
    > From: Benjamin Sanchez
    > Subject: RE: Floating Confessions
    >
    >
    > Very good thoughts Wim. I agree on all your points.
    >
    >
    >
    > I don't float pitch for one simple reason. If the piano isn't in a stable environment, how am I supposed to know that if I'm the one constantly changing the pitch at which I tune to? Is it -10?? because of the room, or because I put it there? I've had other (very good) technicians tell me that this piano or that piano isn't stable. But I find that when it's tune to a consistent 440, things magically start to stabilize more often than not.
    >
    >
    >
    > My only exception is where certain orchestras need a 442 tuning. I'm ok doing that, but it will cost them extra if the piano's not already at 442. But that's it. Like Wim said, if they're going to be difficult for the sake of being difficult, they can find someone else. I actually like working for discerning clients, but there's a difference between being discerning and being difficult.
    >
    >
    >
    > Benjamin Sanchez, RPT
    > Piano Technician / Artisan
    > (256) 947-9999
    > www.professional-piano-services.com <http: www.professional-piano-services.com="">
    >
    > Original Message:
    > Sent: 05-02-2024 13:11
    > From: Wim Blees
    >
    >
    > In response to Ryan, here are my thoughts. First, I don't float. All my pianos are tuned to 440. I also do not cater to extraordinary demands of clients. By that I mean, if a client wants a temperament or stretch that I don't like, let him/her get another tuner. I don't mind losing a client he/she doesn't like my tuning. That doesn't mean I won't try to satisfy the demands of a client that has a legitimate concern. I have a very demanding "boss" at the university. She has a very good ear and will tell me when a note is off or needs to be voiced. But the piano is tuned within my parameters, and I will work very hard to achieve that goal. But to try to "stretch" the tuning that's out of my comfort zone, no. The reason I don't cater to special demands is because I really don't believe that they hear it. I think they are being demanding just because they think it will make them look important or exceptional. I might be wrong, but that's how I feel. Case in point. Back in St. !
    Louis I
    > tuned a piano for piano teacher from Russia with an old German upright. After I tuned here piano the first time, she plucked each string of a unison, starting at about C5, and told me the middle was flat, or the right string was sharp, etc. I worked like a dog to get those unisons in tune. This process would take another 30 - 45 minutes, but I only charged her the same amount as a regular tuning. After the 4th time I tuned her piano, I purposely left three or four string slightly flat to see if she could indeed hear the difference. Guess what. She totally missed those strings. She was just doing this plucking to make herself look like she was better than me. So I told her that from now on, if she wanted to check every unison, she would have to pay extra. That's the last time I saw her. I learned a long time ago that you can't satisfy every customer. For whatever reason, it could be a personality thing, or I said something wrong, or she/he didn't like my tuning, some cust!
    omers don't
    > want you to tune their piano again. And I'm OK with that. The bottom line is, do the best you can, be as nice as possible, and hope the customer will call you back. If they get too demanding for a reason that I don't like, I let them go, and move on.
    > Thank you, Ryan, for opening this conversation. Wim
    >
    >
    >
    > Original Message:
    > Sent: 5/2/2024 10:58:00 AM
    > From: Ryan Sowers
    >
    >
    >
    > I was happy to see the discussion around the error in using F3 to set pitch morph into a discussion regarding floating pitch. It is a subject near and dear to my heart.
    >
    > The way I think about it now is this: I not only float pitch, I float the entire tuning.
    >
    > When I first began my tuning career, I had very rigid ideas about my tuning. I was strictly aural for at least the first decade. I was dedicated to a "textbook" PTG test type of tuning. As the years progressed, however, I came across certain clients who seemed to want something different. One of the most obvious cases was tuning for the late jazz artist Jessica Williams. She really emphasized that she wanted a lot of stretch in the tuning and thought my first "textbook" tuning sounded sharp in the bass and flat in the treble. Graciously trying to accommodate her led to me prepping the pianos for two of her albums. She was challenging but also rewarding to work for. And she did indeed like a LOT of stretch, especially on the ends.
    >
    > One summer left the octave spread particularly wide, so I thought I'd find out what the limits of stretch were that she could tolerate. I left the piano with octaves that had a clear beat and very busy thirds. It took her less than a day let me know that I had gone too far!
    >
    > I had another client, a physicist with a 7' Schimmel who requested 2:1 octaves throughout the entire compass. That also proved to be fairly challenging and also educational.
    >
    > The fact that all the ETD's have various stretch settings to choose from, shows that there is not a specific amount of stretch that is universally agreed on as perfect. In my estimation, this is one of the great ironies of the ETD: It is extremely precise at choosing high resolution pitch targets within a system that is somewhat squishy and flexible. It can be akin to adjusting pixels in a 1200 dpi image that will be shown on a 600 dpi screen.
    >
    > This squish factor can certainly be used to a technician's advantage if you are the type who attempts to serve your client's best interests by making the pianos as nice as you can for the time that you have. This is opposed to what Darrel Fandrich used to describe as the "tune and run" tuner. In other words, looking for opportunities to shave time off tuning to address touch and tone issues. And it is rare to find a piano without touch and tone issues.
    >
    > Experience over time helps one learn what the limits are. Like everything in piano work, you have to overdo and underdo things in order to discover where the sweet spots lie. Discovering how far you can reasonably and professionally float the pitch and the stretch the octaves is one of the most powerful tools a technician can develop.
    >
    >
    >
    > Ryan Sowers RPT
    > Olympia WA
    > (360) 480-5648
    >
    >
    > Reply to Sender : https://my.ptg.org/eGroups/PostReply/?GroupId=43&MID=775154&SenderKey=de0a1749-f928-49b3-99dc-6c3d5ff4b007
    >
    > Reply to Discussion : https://my.ptg.org/eGroups/PostReply/?GroupId=43&MID=775154
    >
    >
    >
    > You are subscribed to "Pianotech" as horacegreeleypiano@sonic.net. To change your subscriptions, go to http://my.ptg.org/preferences?section=Subscriptions. To unsubscribe from this community discussion, go to http://my.ptg.org/HigherLogic/eGroups/Unsubscribe.aspx?UserKey=18d8c323-aa1d-4526-8bf1-a6805870cbe6&sKey=KeyRemoved&GroupKey=2bb4ebe8-4dba-4640-ae67-111903beaddf.
    >

• 17.  RE: Floating Confessions

Posted 6 days ago

Thank you for typing this out - I did indeed miss the link.  I find it so fascinating how different ears, different acoustic situations, and different individual instruments are all a little different.  I think it's kinda cool, to be honest - I've never been a 'there's only one right way to ______' kind of person.  Lots of different ways to make beautiful music.  Like one of the violinists said, the important thing is that everyone is at the same pitch/in tune together! 

My personal preference depends on the tone of the instrument in question.  I tune some pianos that would likely sound more sparkly and nice at A=441 or A=442.  However usually I am happy with A=440 on high tension scale design pianos.  I do a bit of stretch in the treble to lend a nice 'sparkle' there, but yeah - I love hearing others' preferences.  
    I think learning to be curious about what others like and listening to a lot of opinions can help make us better technicians if we let it!  

Hannah Jones
    Joyful Noise Piano Service
    Siler City, NC
    336-609-4029
    joyfulnoisepianoservice@gmail.com
    Y'all Means All
    "Inclusion is a right, not a privilege for a select few."

• 18.  RE: Floating Confessions

Posted 13 days ago

Hi Scott and all-

Thank you for all this, very informative.

I'm not sure if anyone is talking about leaving pianos $.10 flat as a matter of convenience or to cut corners. This is a different thing in my world. I just completed a four night festival incorporating three pianos and much percussion equipment. One of the pieces performed was Boulez's Sur Incises for three pianos, three harps and percussion-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZnm0uDAKSY&t=50s

you will find it begins about 1:05.

For three weeks I had been gathering pitch on these three pianos through steam shutdowns, 70 recitals, prepared piano and a variety of other uses. 441 is the preferred pitch around here, so that was my reference for these three pianos. Once performances began things began to move. It would not be wise of me to chase pitch on these three pianos simply to hew to a standard. Stability is the most important thing in this environment so as things began to move, I would pay attention to pitch across the piano, but mostly pay attention to unisons. By the time the four night festival was over, there was no more than 2 1/2 cents variation between any of the three pianos. Not meaning five cents total, none of them varied more than 2 1/2 cents from each other. This was a well acceptable range for me and really not something that anyone even noticed. It only adds a bit more thickness to the sound, but doesn't sound out of tune. I know this is a very specific situation, but it speaks to how one person handles the movement of pitch in a concert hall with real usages and changes.

Best to all-

DB

David C. Brown RPT
    Garland TX
    tunermandb88.com

• 19.  RE: Floating Confessions

Posted 12 days ago
    Phil has it right.  I have worked at a major concert hall for 13 years.  I float the pitch on our Steinway D between 440 and 441.  I have never had a complaint about pitch.  I have had artists like Joshua Bell who insist on 442 and I will raise it up for him.  I have worked at a major recording studio for 19 years and have tuned for over 1000 recording sessions.  I float the pitch on our 3 pianos, Yamaha CF, Yamaha C7 and Steinway L between 440 and 441 and have never had a complaint about pitch.  I have had artists such as Rick Wakeman insist on 443 and I have raised our CF to accommodate him.

Tuning to exactly 440 is not a good idea.  The goal for performance pianos is stability.  Absolute pitch level is the least important part of tuning.

Carl Lieberman
    www.CarlPianoTech.com

• 20.  RE: Floating Confessions

Posted 12 days ago

Hi all,

There seems to actually be 3 topics in this thread:

1. Preference for 440 vs 441, 442, or 443 etc. That would seem to be a different discussion. 
    2. Floating the pitch very small amounts in concert situations for stability.
    3. Floating as a habit for in-home tunings, possibly to avoid having to pitch raise or lower.

In my first response, I was only addressing #3. I recently had a customer that told me, when I came to a piano tuned 20c low, "my last tuner always just tuned it where it was." Well, of course the piano eventually ended up 20 c low. That's what I would object to. 

Sure, if someone wants me to tune to 441, that's fine. No one ever does, though--not in my market. The ones that I refuse are the odd customers that want either 432 or 444 (I've had both) because they read something on the internet about those tunings synchronizing with their chakras or something.

For home customers, I simply always tune to 440. One reason is that, unlike in a university or other controlled setting, I really have no idea when that person will call me again. (yes, I send out cards but I prefer not to pre-schedule, which introduces other complexities for me.) I have a very stable base of yearly customers, but another group that might just wait for 2 years or more. I'd rather have these pianos as close to 440 as possible because if I were to, say, float them low, they could be much lower the next time, and that means more work and less stability. Case in point: yesterday, I had a customer with a piano I had last tuned in 2019, and it was about 10c low. Busy family, might not have it tuned for another 4 years. So I'm not going to leave it at 10c low.

Also, pianos and the environments they are kept in vary wildly. I keep a tuning record in the piano, and in some pianos, I can see that, no matter what, they've fallen 5-10 cents per year. I'm not going to float ones with that kind of record. Other pianos go up and down with the seasons. Some stay right on pitch.

So it seems to me that "floating the pitch" means different things to different tuners, and each situation is different.

Scott Cole, RPT
    rvpianotuner.com
    Talent, OR
    (541-601-9033

• 21.  RE: Floating Confessions

Posted 12 days ago

Let me address floating pitch in home situations.  I tune all home pianos to between A440 and A442.  If the pitch is within that 8¢ window, that's where I tune it.  If it is flat from 5¢-35¢, I pitch raise it to +3¢.  I do not charge for pitch raises (I no longer ever see a piano more than 30¢ flat).  I use CyberTuner and doing pitch raises are so quick and easy with CyberTuner, that tuning to proper pitch is part of my complete service.  I charge enough for my service calls, probably more than most of you charge for a pitch raise, that tuning at the proper pitch is included in my full service.

In addition let me address Ryan's minor pitch floating within a tuning.  I wrote an article on this for the PTG Journal10 years ago titled "Stability, Stability, Stability".  The 3 most important parts of tuning are stability, stability and stability.  Everything you do should be in service of that.  I am aware of the relative humidity when I am tuning.  Most of these micro adjustments pertains to the lowest 15 plain wire strings on the tenor bridge.  These strings are the most reactive to changes in humidity.  If the RH is unusually high I will take that into account and leave those 15 strings a little too sharp, if the RH is unusually low then I will leave these same 15 strings a little too flat.  Over time you learn exactly how much to fudge.  Stability means having the piano sound as good as it can for as long as it can.  Thinking this way should be part of your approach to tuning.

Carl Lieberman RPT
    RPT
    Venice CA
    (310) 392-2771

• 22.  RE: Floating Confessions

Posted 12 days ago
    What Carl said. I don't think anyone is suggesting that one should always "tune the piano to itself" and gradually float the pitch down and down over the years until the piano is 20 cents flat. You establish an acceptable range and keep it within that, depending on the season. My own range is slightly different from Carl's but it's the same principle. 

• 23.  RE: Floating Confessions

Posted 12 days ago
    Again, the problem I have is, at what pitch do you measure the piano? My experience is that the middle fluctuates the most with the bass always near perfect, and the upper octaves out just barely. This is for pianos I tune regularly, including the 2 concert instruments at my school which get tuned 4 - 6 times per month. 

If I float the A, from 439 - 441, then I take a chance that I have to retune the top and the bottom. Which leads to instability. If I tune A to 440, and adjust the middle octaves to match that, then I don't have to touch the outside octaves, which to me is a much more stable tuning. 

That is why I don't understand floating the A. 

Wim

• 24.  RE: Floating Confessions

Posted 12 days ago

Wim, say you come in one morning to an often tuned instrument and the bass is +2 cents over 440, the 5th/6th octaves about the same. Are you going to push it down 2 cents or trim up the middle? I agree, I weigh the bass and G5-G6 more when determining where the overall pitch of the tuning is. The longer bare wires in the middle change the most to room temp. 

Steven Rosenthal RPT
    Honolulu HI
    (808) 521-7129

• 25.  RE: Floating Confessions

Posted 12 days ago
    Steve

Maybe I've led an easy life, but I've never had the bass out when the middle is off. It's always the other way around. And as you know, I've tuned in the Midwest with wild changes in weather, in Hawaii where there is almost no change, and now the South, with moderate changes. I measure A and go from there. 

Wim

• 26.  RE: Floating Confessions

Posted 12 days ago
    Wim, 
    In my experience, A4 is often a good indicator of where the piano has on average drifted. The notes from A4 to about E5 (or roughly 2 notes below the treble break) tend to be pretty stable with humidity swings, and when they do move, the treble moves in the same direction. If I'm going to float the pitch, I will usually look at these notes and the treble to decide how much to float. I find myself mostly retuning the lower midsection and tenor when I do this, with some tweaks in the low treble. 

I personally don't care much where the bass starts out because it is so fast to retune that to wherever the rest of the piano is. But it's usually pretty close.

Anthony Willey

(Sent from my mobile device)

• 27.  RE: Floating Confessions

Posted 12 days ago

Except for pianos with extenuating circumstances, such as age or rust or such, I follow Wim's approach and tune to A440. No floating. As has been noted, the lowest and highest octaves are often already at, or very close to, A440-based proper pitch, and if you want the overall sound to sparkle I don't feel there is a choice. Just listen to the beating of the fifths and twelfths in the upper several octaves when you are done tuning (in standard ET) versus the purity of octaves (like simultaneous playing of C3+C4+C6+C7). I go for that extra sparkle/resonance, and I explain this to (some of) my customers. Regards, Norman.

Norman Brickman
    Potomac Piano Service
    Potomac, Maryland
    potomacpiano@verizon.net
    https://potomacpiano.com
    (301) 983.9321

• 28.  RE: Floating Confessions

Posted 12 days ago

Norman said, "I follow Wim's approach and tune to A440. No floating. As has been noted, the lowest and highest octaves are often already at, or very close to, A440-based proper pitch,"

Norman, I appreciate your excellent contribution to this topic, even though it is somewhat contrary to my own ideas. I'm also very happy I have discovered the enjoyable and well-written articles that you have shared on your website. Hats off to you. 

However, I noticed two important words in the quote above: "very close". I'm curious at what your definition of very close is. I'm thinking that even though you claim to tune at A440, haven't you come across pianos at A440.3 with nicely spread octaves and mostly clean unisons? 

Here's a slide from my program "Regulating Every Day" where I try to stress the importance of working with the shape of the tuning in order to capture more time for service other than tuning. All three of the red lines would score 100% on the PTG tuning exam. Would it be wise to spend your hourly rate exchanging one line for another? Or would time be better spent working on improvements in touch and tone? 

A visual representation of the PTG tuning exam tolerances.

Ryan Sowers RPT
    Olympia WA
    (360) 480-5648

• 29.  RE: Floating Confessions

Posted 12 days ago
    Ryan

Please explain the lines. (I'll try to attend your class where I'm sure you'll explain it better, but I might be tutoring). 

You said that all three red lines....  There is only one red line. But what are the other two?

Wim

• 30.  RE: Floating Confessions

Posted 11 days ago

My bad, Wim! I should have typed "All three of the lines" not "all three of the red lines". Sorry about that! I put a strike through on the original post. 

That probably clears it up, but I'll elaborate a bit. Each line represents a tuning curve. The red, yellow, and orange lines are just made-up lines to show examples of tuning curves that vary by several cents in certain areas of the tuning, yet each line would score 100% on the PTG exam. 

If you come to a piano where the curve is like the orange line, and you spend an hour shifting it to be like the red line, I would argue that is not a good use of your clients' piano maintenance dollars. 

When I first come to a client's piano, before anything else I take a minute and just play it to get an overall sense of how it sounds. I'll use 3rd/10th/17th tests to check the spread of the octaves. I'll play them chromatically to listen for smoothness and pay particular attention to what's going on at the breaks and where the bass is sitting relative to the rest of the piano. 

Then, based on what I'm hearing I like to guess what I think is going on with the pitch just to see how well I can predict. Sometimes my guess can be very close, and sometimes I'm surprised at how even the tuning is even though it may be off pitch by a few cents.

If I'm pushing myself to produce my ideal tuning, I'll be more rigid in terms of stretch. But in many cases where there are major tone and touch issues, I'm going to be quite a bit more flexible. In my estimation, it is not a good use of time to aim for a highly refined tuning when the hammers are flat, grooved, and poorly spaced.

Ryan Sowers RPT
    Olympia WA
    (360) 480-5648

• 31.  RE: Floating Confessions

Posted 11 days ago

Ryan, the red line is the "best" tuning? If so, about how much deviation do you allow for the others?

Steven Rosenthal RPT
    Honolulu HI
    (808) 521-7129

• 32.  RE: Floating Confessions

Posted 11 days ago

Steven,

None of the lines represent the best tuning. They are just different. The windows of tolerance are based on the PTG tuning exam tolerances. Theoretically, any of the tunings represented by the lines are "perfect" by PTG standards. In the midrange, as long as the notes are tuned less than 1 cent sharp or flat of our master tuning, no errors will be recorded, thus the 1.8 cent window. 

As we move toward the ends, the PTG tuning exam windows get even wider. When I'm trying to save time on a tuning, I tend to follow the same pattern: My pickiest tuning is in the midrange and I allow a little more "fudge factor" as I work my way out to the ends. Again, if there are significant touch and tone issues (which is most of the time) I'm not going to worry if my double octaves are pure or have a bit of a beat as long as everything sounds musical. As stated many times by others, stable unisons are the biggest priority. 

Ryan Sowers RPT
    Olympia WA
    (360) 480-5648

• 33.  RE: Floating Confessions

Posted 10 days ago
    Ryan

As Scot mentioned, I think we might talking about different approaches to floating. From what you're describing, it seems you approach each tuning from a different point of view than I do. You take what's there, and more or less tune it where it's at, regardless of where A is, or whatever is your starting point. My question is, what do you do when it's off by more 5 cents? And at what pitch do you measure that? 

I tune each piano to 440. I measure A and see how flat or sharp the piano is, so I know what I have to do to get it to 440. If it's 20 cents or more flat, I will do a pitch raise, followed by a tuning, to 440. The only exceptions are older pianos (more than 75 years old with rusty strings), that are 40 or more cents flat. I will tune those where they're at, and at most, will raise them up a few cents. 

For concert tunings, like I do for the university, I check A4 each and every time. If it's not right on, I will tune that piano to 440, using my SAT. As I mentioned earlier, what I've found is that while the middle octaves might be slightly off, the outer octave are stable. The overall pitch does not change enough to create instability. 

Different approaches for different people. 

Wim

• 34.  RE: Floating Confessions

Posted 10 days ago

Thanks for the thoughtful response Wim. Yes! Different strokes for different folks. 

I see tunings that are reasonably close to pitch as a puzzle. The challenge is to get to a beautiful tuning with the least amount of changes and in the least amount of time. As a mostly aural tuner, I spend my first minutes of the tuning just listening to the overall shape and condition. Then I check the pitch and decide if I'm going to have to start from scratch, or can I work with what is in front of me. 

I also make a decision regarding the fineness of the tuning, which depends on the condition of touch and tone. An uber refined tuning with flat, grooved, and poorly fit hammers doesn't sound nearly as nice as a less-refined tuning with hammers that are well shaped, voiced, and fit to the strings. As long as the unisons are solid and the octaves are decent the client will often be amazed with the results. 

Also a well-voiced piano will sound better as the piano starts to go out of tune, which could easily be within a few weeks after you leave, and certainly by the next significant change in the weather. Harsh tone magnifies the out-of-tuness of a piano, whereas nicely voiced hammers can make a mediocre tuning sound enjoyable.

The point is to harvest as much time as possible in order to give the client the most bang for their buck. If the overall pitch lands anywhere between 439.5 and 441.5, I'm satisfied, especially if the pitch matches the time of year. If the piano is 2 cents flat in the summer or early fall I'll go ahead and raise it and leave it a little above 440, but if it's 2 cents and it's February I will leave it for sure. 

Each appointment is an opportunity to reinspire clients with their instruments and hopefully keep them addicted! I've never enjoyed trying to sell clients on extra work. I charge a higher than average fee and try to deliver as much value as I can. My fees are clearly posted and clients know exactly what to expect and it is rare that I ever charge more than the pre-arranged fee. 

Ryan Sowers RPT
    Olympia WA
    (360) 480-5648

• 35.  RE: Floating Confessions

Posted 12 days ago

Ryan,

That 440.3 piano probably has a bass that is 440.7 and a treble that is 439; what do you do then?

I have been taking careful measurements of my pitches after a tuning and I usually note that my 440 tuning is 439.8 (IRCT).

Temperature and humidity fluctuations during a service call can cause a fluctuation of .5 HZ.  I have a recording studio that I tune to 440 and last year one of their pianos was 444.  After tuning to 440 on the following tuning it was 438.

Whatever Carl L says is what I do.

Blaine Hebert RPT
    Duarte CA
    (626) 390-0512

• 36.  RE: Floating Confessions

Posted 6 days ago

This is so true.  I abhor the practice of 'tuning the piano where it's at' - to me floating means judiciously choosing to tune a few cents sharp or flat based on the piano's environment, use, condition, etc.  

Truly though, I never go more than 3 cents in either direction unless the piano is in an extremely dry or extremely humid environment consistently.  Then I might go 4-5 cents, but never more than that except for one request.  

Had a little chuckle at your mention of clients who want it tuned to 443 or 444 because of chakra synchronization.  I have one of those clients…and I accommodated her on her old Baldwin Acrosonic spinet for 8 years, after warning her the first time of the risks it could pose to strings and such.  
    She replaced it with a nice little grand this year and I managed to talk her out of going quite that sharp since it's a high tension scale design piano.  Thankfully she took my advice - never had heard of such a thing before her though.  Funky stuff.  To each their own😄

Appreciate your distinction of these topics and how different people may interpret the term floating.  Great comment! 

Hannah Jones
    Siler City, NC
    336-609-4029
    Y'all Means All

• 37.  RE: Floating Confessions

Posted 6 days ago

Hannah,

Interesting...the one time I yanked a piano up to 444 (as a test for myself as to whether I started feeling better as I played at that frequency level), it actually did sound significantly better overall than at 440. It did not though seem to have any significant effect on me or my overall mood. 🙃 

Peter Grey Piano Doctor 

Peter Grey
    Stratham NH
    (603) 686-2395
    pianodoctor57@gmail.com

• 38.  RE: Floating Confessions

Posted 12 days ago

"Tuning to exactly 440 is not a good idea.  The goal for performance pianos is stability.  Absolute pitch level is the least important part of tuning." - Carl Lieberman

Yes! And stability is just as important for our "regular" clients as well as our performance pianos. 

In addition to stability, I find that strategically floating the tuning and allowing for minor flexibility in the overall stretch I can save quite a bit of time. This is particularly true with clients that have humidity control and/or have their pianos serviced the same time of year each year. 

I usually plan a good 90 minutes for my basic service appointments or 2 hours for an extended appointment. If the tuning only takes 20 or 30 minutes it gives me up to 90 minutes to refine other issues with the touch and tone. If a client is consistent with annual service the piano can actually get better and better and maybe never need major regulating or voicing. 

This has worked out so well for me over the years because its gives me opportunities to practice voicing and regulating skills every day. Just like playing the piano, daily practice of skills such as refining damper timing, adjusting jacks, setting let-off, adjusting springs etc makes a huge difference when it comes to speed and efficiency. 

So TIME is one of the biggest reasons I float. For those other techs who float, how much time do you think you often save by floating pitch?

Ryan Sowers RPT
    Olympia WA
    (360) 480-5648

• 39.  RE: Floating Confessions

Posted 12 days ago

Yes, time is a major reason I will accommodate the overall average pitch of the piano.  I do not rely on A4 to indicate the overall pitch.  For almost all home pianos, if the pitch is within 6-8 cents of standard pitch, sharp or flat, I tune it where it is, especially if I'm familiar with the piano from past visits and the overall average pitch is what you would expect with the relative humidity.  With Cybertuner I read the pitch of 15 notes C#2 – A6 and find the average.  This takes several minutes, but I find that I often don't have to move about a quarter of the tuning pins.  I check all of them, because it's possible that the pitch is ready to slip one way or the other due to different tension in the speaking length and the section past the bearing point.  This definitely takes time off tuning, and it surely contributes to stability.  Furthermore, I use the concert mode in Cybertuner when doing this, so that flat notes remain slightly flat (and same for sharp notes).  I know they are likely to go in the opposite direction when the humidity changes.

When I have to raise the pitch more than about 10 cents, I always tune the piano 2 cents sharp – I know it will sink.

I used to tune 80 pianos twice a year for the LDS church.  When I started I tuned them to standard pitch.  In 6 months most of them sounded horrible.  So one time I decided to find the average pitch and set my ETD to that, and I didn't tune them perfectly – if a string was lower than the average, I left it a bit flat, and the same if it was sharp.  After 6 months, they were out of tune in the opposite direction, but they weren't as horrible.

Phil Bondi tuned for concerts with the pitch going as high as 441.5 (6 cents) without any comment from the professional musicians.  That to me sounds like the final word on whether 440 should be an absolute standard.  For myself, plus or minus 6 cents, maybe 8, is totally fine.  I tune to exactly A440 maybe a quarter of the time.  However, if I know that the piano will be used in a recording, I do A440.

• 40.  RE: Floating Confessions
    Best Answer

Posted 11 days ago

Along with the concert world, I would like to add my residential experience to the thread:

I am blessed with a loyal clientele. Among the most loyal are a few educators and professionals who appreciate that I am able to maintain their pianos(usually Grands) by touching up regulation concerns, hammer shaping, damper timing, cleaning, etc and still maintain my regular service price. If I was making sure their piano was set to 440, those additional services would need to be an extra charge. Instead, I am able to maintain the instruments concerns beyond tuning. Those pianos are usually close(within 4c) to 440 so it is my intention to maintain the stability and make sure the other important stuff is addressed as well. 

-Phil Bondi

• 41.  RE: Floating Confessions

Posted 11 days ago
    If an instrument is between 439 and 441 I find it sensible to let it be. If in the wider 438-442 bracket I think about it and as to season. 

Working with ETD to exactly the same formula that I applied on a previous tuning I can often avoid having to change pitch of as many strings as possible, letting them be without touching, and in my opinion this is one key to stability.

Best wishes

David P

--
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    David Pinnegar, B.Sc., A.R.C.S.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    +44 1342 850594

• 42.  RE: Floating Confessions

Posted 11 days ago

David. In a proper octave-based ET, the octaves have zero beats, and the fifths around A4 have 1.18 beats per second (or Hz), like F4 to C5. In a proper Well Temperament, like Kellner that you have mentioned, the octaves are perfect and there are probably at least 3 fifths that are also zero bps. But if you tune and leave the temperament area at A438 or A439, chances are that other areas of the piano might easily differ from their normal targets by 1, 2, or more Hz. That can be quite a lot of beats per second for both octaves and fifths (depending on where one is in the scale) that are normally beatless in a Kellner tuning. Somehow I was expecting more precision in historic temperament tunings. Regards, Norman.

Norman Brickman
    Potomac Piano Service
    Potomac, Maryland
    potomacpiano@verizon.net
    https://potomacpiano.com
    (301) 983.9321

• 43.  RE: Floating Confessions

Posted 10 days ago

Ryan Sowers RPT
    Olympia WA
    (360) 480-5648

• 44.  RE: Floating Confessions

Posted 6 days ago

I appreciate the flexibility of your approach.  I float within a 3 cent window personally - holding the knowledge that to most (not all) people's ears, pitch variations of three cents or less are not legible.  Of course, if one has perfect pitch then they will hear it.  
    I, too, like to float within reason to anticipate coming seasonal and humidity shifts.  

I'm in North Carolina, and frankly our humidity shifts ridiculously. Last night our humidity outside was 100%, so I know that whatever I do, if I have a client that is not paying attention to their humidity or taking reasonable measures to protect their instrument, it will eventually shift.
    And as pointed out by others, changes can occur very quickly at times.  

My personal philosophy is that I don't float more than one cent when I am not yet familiar with the building or the piano.  I take down my readings and do my best the first 1-3 times of seeing a piano, and see where it is the next time I see it.  The piano usually lets one know, it seems, if it's been subjected to a lot of humidity movement, or not.  

Whenever floating in a home, I will usually just tell a new client whose piano I haven't floated before - 'I usually float a bit sharp in the winter, to help the tuning in this dry season.  If you play it with other instruments, or would prefer for me not to, just let me know!'. 
    This gives those perfect pitch folks a chance to tell me if they have any hard and fast preferences - otherwise they usually say, 'yes please, thank you!'.  

Pitch floating is such an interesting topic to me, and I think when done with knowledge and care can be a very useful practice.  I still feel anxious to tune flat at all…but occasionally on a piano in a home that I know runs humid every summer, I will leave it a couple cents flat if I'm there in March or April, knowing the humid season is quickly approaching.  
    In churches, especially ones with organs, I am careful and rarely float more than 1.5 cents so as to be sure they all continue to 'get along'.  

Like you, Ryan, I attempt to cater to people's preferences.  If they ever feel too outlandish or it's something I am not familiar with, I am honest with them that they may have a better experience hiring ______, because they are familiar with doing a historical tuning stretch, such as meantone or etc.  But in 9 years so far, I've not had but a couple of folks that I've referred out.  The rest have been reasonable, even my pickiest, I accommodate because he is so terribly polite about it every time.  
    I figure, it's their piano - they have to listen to it.  As long as they're not taking up an egregious amount of my time, I don't mind making some tweaks.  Usually I tell them that if they have any particular preferences, they need to let me know in advance where possible, to respect everyone's time.  

Living where I do, I have a humidity conversation with nearly all my clients to make sure they understand the importance of a stable environment.  
    Also, this conversation could very easily tie into which tuning stretch one is using in which pianos, and why, because that can lend to a slightly sharper or flatter tuning in some places as well.  I believe I saw some folks beginning to discuss that tie in, and it's really interesting hearing other people's methodology.  

To me floating a reasonable amount just makes sense, because if I am familiar enough with my area and the environment of the piano, I want to provide a tuning that will sound good for as long as possible - as we all do!  
    Therefore I feel that most of the time, as much as anything can be true most of the time, some judicious floating is in good service to the effort of a long lasting tuning.   

As with all things piano technology, everyone has their own (at times strong) opinions, so this is just my humble two cents/methodology that has served me and my clients well.  

Enjoying this conversation and the topic - thanks for some good thought food, Ryan! 

Hannah Jones
    Siler City, NC
    336-609-4029
    Y'all Means All

• 45.  RE: Floating Confessions

Posted 6 days ago

As a research project I have been carefully recording the pitch that my regularly serviced pianos are at before and after each service (using iRCT).  I now have over 250 records on a spreadsheet which gives me a more objective viewpoint on how my pianos are doing.  This has been research for part of an intended PTJ article.

My original hypothesis was that pianos steadily drop in pitch over time.  According to my careful and extensive records I have found that pianos actually rise in pitch over time!  Obviously this is just a consequence of the high humidity we have had in California over the last  two years, but it points out that pianos do very in pitch quite a bit due to humidity and use.

If I find a piano at 441 I leave it at 441 (occasionally I will tune to 440.5).  If it is at 442 or 443 I would bring it down to 441, but I wouldn't be surprised if on the next service it was 438.

Unless it is for a studio recording or a picky conductor I tune to 440 or 441.

Pianos do probably sound slightly better at 442, but I would bet that in a controlled experiment you, I or a professional musician couldn't easily tell the difference.

Blaine Hebert RPT
    Duarte CA
    (626) 390-0512

• 46.  RE: Floating Confessions

Posted 5 days ago

Maybe some one can help me out here. Over the years I have often been asked if I have "Perfect Pitch" My answer is always "Thankfully not". However. I wonder what happened to everyone with perfect pitch when the International Pitch Standard changed from say 435 to 440. This question has caused me to to redefine perfect pitch to perfect relative pitch. Someone hears an approximate A and they know it is an A. Does anyone have any experience with with someone that could tell you a piano is at 439, 440, or 441? I float pitch often if a little on the sharp side, and occasionally if on the flat side in our driest time of year. Most always shoot for 440 if for a recording studio or concert unless requested otherwise.

Tremaine Parsons RPT
    Georgetown CA
    (530) 333-9299

• 47.  RE: Floating Confessions

Posted 5 days ago

Tremaine,

Steve Norsworthy can detect less than .5 cent change. I actually experienced this with him over the phone when we were fiddling with Pianoscope. I was watching the app and he was simply listening to the changes. I'm not kidding you...he nailed it several times. Yes, he has "perfect" pitch as the expression goes. 

Peter Grey Piano Doctor 

Peter Grey
    Stratham NH
    (603) 686-2395
    pianodoctor57@gmail.com

• 48.  RE: Floating Confessions

Posted 5 days ago
    From my own experience, perfect pitch is only good up to a couple cents. That is: if I walk into someone's house, open their piano, and tune A4 blind with no reference, I can get it to within a couple cents of 440. But I can also adapt very quickly to singing in a choir that's flat or playing in an orchestra that's playing sharp. And I think there's kind of a bleed over effect. If I listen to a recording at A=442, that almost immediately starts sounds "in tune" to me and becomes my standard for the next little while. If I were to walk out of a concert humming the melody of what I just heard, I'd be humming it sharp. 

There's also kind of a "use it or lose it" effect. I'm not as good as I used to be since mostly quitting playing string instruments. 

I have also learned to be somewhat skeptical of people (clients) who claim perfect pitch. I occasionally get a callback from someone who says their piano is "sharp" or "flat" and in the vast majority of cases they are talking about something other than the actual pitch of the piano or occasionally hearing something that neither I nor my ETD can detect. (Watch out for hearing aids that aren't in music mode.)

As for floating, I've floated my own piano up and down a bit with the seasons and it doesn't bug me. But there is a range of what is acceptable. At some point the A stops being an A no matter how long I accustom myself to it. And I really struggle with transposition. If I'm trying to play a harpsichord tuned to A=415 I can't play anything that I haven't practiced to the point that it's 100% muscle memory in my fingers. If I have to use my ears or my brain I constantly mess up reaching for what my ears say are the right notes. 

If next year the international standard became A = 442, I would adapt to that, as much as I'd abhor the idea of it.

And what Tremaine said is correct. There's very little benefit in having perfect pitch for piano tuning. The main benefits I can think of are: chipping up a piano quickly or doing a quick muteless pre-pitch-raise pass on the occasional -200 cent flat piano, and being able to immediately tell how flat someone's piano is over the phone. 

Anthony Willey

(Sent from my mobile device)

• 49.  RE: Floating Confessions

Posted 5 days ago

I am quite sure that we can differentiate .1 or .2 cents when we have something for comparison as in tuning a unison. However, I still find it very hard to believe that if we played an A440 that is 1 cent sharp that a person with perfect pitch could determine that they are hearing a 1 cent sharp 440. Or 1 cent flat, not to mention .5 cents difference either way.

Perhaps we should do a "Pitch Off" in Reno to see if it can be done. Whether a person with perfect pitch can repeatedly accurately identify pitches that are randomly 1 - 3 cents plus or minus and what the offset is. I would be amazed if they could and yeah, I'd like to know if it is possible.

For the time being, I'm still sticking with "Perfect Relative Pitch"

Tremaine Parsons RPT
    Georgetown CA
    (530) 333-9299

• 50.  RE: Floating Confessions

Posted 5 days ago

I wonder, has there been any PTJ articles about perfect pitch?  This would make a great discussion or project.

Blaine Hebert RPT
    Duarte CA
    (626) 390-0512

• 51.  RE: Floating Confessions

Posted 4 days ago

I'd love to see a PTJ article about it too. Most discussion around perfect pitch talks about note identification, rather than how much tolerance for error it has. I'm sure it varies from individual to individual of course, and, as Anthony mentioned, with practice. 

For those of y'all that have it (I do not), I would also be curious to hear what it does as you get into the extreme low and high notes of the piano... I.e. do you still want C8 to be significantly sharper than its theoretical pitch?

Nathan Monteleone RPT
    Fort Worth TX
    (817) 675-9494
    nbmont@gmail.com

• 52.  RE: Floating Confessions

Posted 4 days ago

Scott Cole has PP as well and finds it a bit of a bother in certain circumstances (IIRC about some stuff he has written). Scott, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. 

Peter Grey Piano Doctor 

Peter Grey
    Stratham NH
    (603) 686-2395
    pianodoctor57@gmail.com

• 53.  RE: Floating Confessions

Posted 3 days ago
    Peter,
    No, I don’t have perfect pitch.

Yes, an article in perfect pitch would make for an interesting Journal article.
    Any volunteers to research and write one?

• 54.  RE: Floating Confessions

Posted 2 days ago

Scott,

Sorry. I wonder who I'm confusing you with. 🤔 

Peter Grey Piano Doctor 

Peter Grey
    Stratham NH
    (603) 686-2395
    pianodoctor57@gmail.com

• 55.  RE: Floating Confessions

Posted 2 days ago

Okay, I believe now it was Anthony Willey I mixed you up with. He has "the condition" 😉.  

Peter Grey Piano Doctor 

Peter Grey
    Stratham NH
    (603) 686-2395
    pianodoctor57@gmail.com

• 56.  RE: Floating Confessions

Posted 2 days ago

Forum Members,

This is as good a place as any to request any opinions, experiences or information that any of you might have about "perfect pitch" as it related to our profession or to music in general.

Anyone with perfect pitch is welcome to contact me (blaine.hebert@charter.net) with your opinions or information.  If you know of someone with perfect pitch or have had experiences with musicians with perfect pitch please let me know.

I will attempt to assemble this into an article, or to coordinate with anyone who cares to contribute to a future PTJ article on perfect pitch.

Blaine Hebert RPT
    Duarte CA
    (626) 390-0512

• 57.  RE: Floating Confessions

Posted 2 days ago
    I used to be fascinated by the idea of perfect pitch. Then over time I realized there's no such thing because there is no perfect pitch. There's no perfect octave stretch. There's no perfect pitch standard. There's no perfect anything when it comes to pianos. It's just a sloppy use of the word perfect.

Some people have very refined ability to hear differences in pitches when they hear them next to each other. That's an order of magnitude difference than identifying the exact frequency of a pitch down to fractions of a Hertz.

When tuning pianos and looking for best intonation and resonance everything is relative to everything else. Listening to anything by itself is thinking about it wrong.

• 58.  RE: Floating Confessions

Posted 15 hours ago

A fun experiment that would really separate reality from fantasy is to have someone with perfect pitch tune a temperament. And then listen to the progression of thirds, fourths and fifths. That will give you a very clear representation of the limitations of so-called perfect pitch.

Ryan Sowers RPT
    Olympia WA
    (360) 480-5648

• 59.  RE: Floating Confessions

Posted 4 days ago

Floating for me is largely dependent on the expectations of the player/owner. I have some string player families that expect and get 440 no matter what the RH% reads indoors. Otherwise here in Chicago where indoor RH% often ranges from the low teens to high 60's or 70's, I will float the yearly tunings based on the RH% at the tuning and the time of year guess for where the RH% will likely move, but only 438-442. My hope is that the piano ends up around 440 when the humidity approaches the 40-45% range from either direction. It is always a work in progress...I'll try to attach a few pictures from PiaTune screens. (best $100 I've ever spent...) As part of the pre-tuning, it shows the starting pitches across the range of the piano in red dots - a horizontal line would represent "in tune" to the calculation, the grey bar is +/- 10 cents. The grey dots appear as the starting pitches from before the last tuning. 

Starting pitches in May for a Sohmer console

This was a Sohmer console in a school showing the late August pitch high and the current pitch from a few weeks ago low. I've been texting these graphs to clients from the piano to help them understand about both the pitch drift as well as the trends that happen based on the design of the instrument. The app can then estimate the trend and use that for the overpull pass.

Sohmer trend line generated prior to overpull pass

The August tuning with the grey dots I tuned at 442 which kept the May starting pitches from being very low. I set the May pitch at 439 (average starting pitch was -5.1 in lower left of screen) anticipating the summer rise in RH%. Using an app that handles overpull very well would is a big plus for tuning in and around Chicago. 

Ron Koval

Ron Koval
    CHICAGO IL

• 60.  RE: Floating Confessions

Posted 4 days ago

That is really interesting Ron! I'll have to pick up the a copy of that program. For a long time I've wanted an easy way to record what tunings actually do after I leave.

It would be interesting to do a case study with my own piano or one of the pianos in my shop. Tune it and record it and then record it weekly over the course of a year to see what it actually does.

Those dots show where the overall pitch is at. One of the questions in this thread is what do you consider the pitch of the piano? it can be high or low in various areas. If you look carefully the piano will tell you where its pitch is at and it's not necessarily the A4 that is the most telling spot. Sometimes I find A4 and its surrounding area to be an anomaly relative to the rest of the tuning.

Fantastic educational tool! It would be great to have an app like this for clients. J A basic version that just recorded where the notes were at. Then they could see for themselves what is going on with their tuning. Of course they might be shocked with how fast things change and feel like their money is going down the toilet!

It certainly could emphasize the importance of humidity control! And also be useful for us field technicians to study the effectiveness of humidity control.

Very cool!

Ryan Sowers RPT
    Olympia WA
    (360) 480-5648

• 61.  RE: Floating Confessions

Posted 4 days ago

Ryan,(and anyone else) if you get PiaTune, feel free to reach out to me directly at rontuner@hotmail.com if you need any help. I've been part of the beta testing since the beginning and a lot of settings options are available so it can be confusing to start! Starting in "simple mode" is a good way to begin.

Here is my copy/paste from my notes app to send to clients after the measuring step. This has generated more interest/conversations in the last year than the previous 40 years trying to educate clients about humidity variations. Feel free to use this - FYI, similar graphing is probably avalable with PianoMeter and PianoScope, though I asked for a straight line as a tuned piano to be more clear to clients and show starting pitches equally from bottom to top. The numbers are from the last tuning on Friday. It takes just a few minutes to enter RH% and average starting pitch and take a picture to place in the notes app. Then copy it into the text to send. It's important to have a picture showing the horizontal line for them to understand how "tuned" should appear.

I thought you might like to see a graph of the starting pitches on the piano before tuning today. Each red dot represents the pitch of the note on the keyboard below. The darker horizontal line is the goal. The vertical lines represent the changes between string sections. 

A basic tuning looks something like this: (The graph function isn't precise, but good enough to show trends)

(picture from a tuned piano with the dots more or less in a straight horizontal line)

Humidity last tuning: 4/15/22 37%

Humidity today: 47%

(35%-50% is decent for Chicago)

Changes in humidity through the year is one of the main sources of tuning instability. 

Average starting pitch in cents: +3.3 (in lower left of picture; the other numbers are section averages) with some farther off or closer. 

(The shaded area is +/-10 cents which is pretty normal for yearly tuning range in the Midwest. 100 cents = 1/2 step) 

If there are grey dots, that was the starting pitch before the last tuning. 

(Picture with starting pitches from piano)

As stated, the measuring with the graphing function is a "quick and dirty" process so probably isn't really useful to display a tuned piano without a lot of fuss. I gather the starting pitches of saved pianos without muting any strings, so the unisons will provide a bit more random readings - but good enough to establish trends for different parts of the piano.

Ron Koval

Ron Koval
    CHICAGO IL