CAUT

• 1.  Grotrian Grand piano model 275

Registered Piano Technician
    Posted 12-13-2023 12:49

An alumnus has offered our university a 1977 Grotrian grand piano model 275.  While very grateful of the alumnus offer, obviously there will be moving costs and placement concerns should it come to fruition so I want to begin my research to determine if this might be a valid endeavor for both the alumnus and our university.  I've been in this business a long time; however, I have never had the opportunity of servicing such an instrument.  I have read a few older articles posted on the PTG site about this model piano but inquiring to see if anyone might have any current experience, information, knowledge, or input that they might contribute that could be helpful?  The piano is currently located about 5 hours away from our location and I am considering making a trip for a first hand evaluation.  Before making that decision, I am hoping to obtain as much general and specific information as possible with regard to the Grotrian grand piano model 275.  Thanking you in advance for any input.

Sincerely,

Daniel Alberts

RPT, Pittsburgh, PA 

------------------------------
    Daniel Alberts RPT
    Connellsville PA
    (724) 628-4298

• 2.  RE: Grotrian Grand piano model 275

Posted 12-13-2023 13:02
    I recently prepped a Grotrian 223 of the same vintage. Lovely piano. It had had new shanks and hammers before I saw it. If it were me, I would jump at the opportunity - examining it first in case there was some major issue, but not expecting any problem beyond needing action parts needing replacement, key bushing and the like.
    Regards,
    Fred Sturm
    www.artoftuning.com
    http://fredsturm.net
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness." Twain

• 3.  RE: Grotrian Grand piano model 275

Posted 12-13-2023 13:24
    HI-

We had a somewhat older Grotrian 275 in our Chapel at St. Olaf College for about 25 years. It wasn't a "great" piano but served the purpose for events in that space quite well.  That piano was also a donation before my time, and it was the first concert grand I ever rebuilt. Our particular model did not have a sostenuto, in case that matters.  If it's structurally sound I would recommend accepting the gift.  

best,
    Dennis Johnson 

• 4.  RE: Grotrian Grand piano model 275

Posted 12-13-2023 16:02

Appreciate your input and taking the time to add input, Dennis.  Helpful information.

Dan

Daniel Alberts RPT
    Connellsville PA
    (724) 628-4298

• 5.  RE: Grotrian Grand piano model 275

Posted 12-13-2023 16:01

Thank you, Fred for your prompt reply.  After some brief exploration, my initial thoughts as well.  Thanks, for the confirmation.

Dan

Daniel Alberts RPT
    Connellsville PA
    (724) 628-4298

• 6.  RE: Grotrian Grand piano model 275

Posted 12-13-2023 16:49
    I serviced a Grotrian 275 built in that same time  which was in the recital hall at a University I worked at for 17 years. For many years in the 80s and 90s. It had a fundamental weakness of power in the fourth and fifth octave below the duplex, and it was quite apparently due to defective design of the forward, waste length from the Agraffes  to the Tuning pins.  There was considerable loss of energy through the aircraft because of an inadequate deflection of the spring, apparently deliberately designed into the piano.

I proposed a simple solution which would have deflected the string a little bit of the agraffe, but this was rejected by the school.

I never forget when a prominent pianist performed a recital and that great Rachmaninov Etude-Tableaux turned out to be impossible for the Pianist to play due to the huge crashing base octaves in the left hand, which he could not bring down enough for the powerful octaves in the middle, which are of course the  motif.  We had a fine 7 foot four Feurich with a good balanced scale that he could've performed it on, but he was already used to the Grotrian and by the time I came along to tune for his recital. He was immensely disappointed in that, and for good reason.

I discussed the instrument, and its problems with Klaus Fenner at a conference, and he had a low opinion of the design.  I seem to remember him disliking the long front waist lengths in general as well.

My predecessor at that university also expressed the opinion that this was a high tension scale with a substantially loaded soundboard, and it depended on the right balance, which was easily compromised through the cycles of weather. I'm not a certain about this, but I would strongly recommend making sure you're bored has sufficient crown and down bearing.

I note with some amusement That before I left at school, it received a donation of a second Grotrian 275, which, in addition to the same problem, had severe string rendering issues.

I think the difference between the 220 and the 275 is significant. I've never seen a 220 I didn't like.

I suspect that the 275 could be modified with a small amount of trouble to be a fairly decent instrument, even if not a large hall piano. But not Every 9 foot should be a large hall piano anyway

Regards,

Bill

Bill Shull, RPT, M.Mus.
    www.shullpiano.com
    www.periodpiano.org
    909 796-4226

Please forgive the voice transcription faults

Sent from my iPhone

• 7.  RE: Grotrian Grand piano model 275

Posted 12-13-2023 17:38
    Beyond Punctuation

In reading over my last post I realize the dangers of voice texting while driving may outweigh the value of the content.  Aircraft for agraffe maybe the most fun one but maybe not to all of you. Sorry for the confusion.

Regards,

Bill

Bill Shull, RPT, M.Mus.
    www.shullpiano.com
    www.periodpiano.org
    909 796-4226

Sent from my iPhone

• 8.  RE: Grotrian Grand piano model 275

Posted 12-14-2023 08:30

William, thank you for your detailed information and your experience with this model piano. Greatly appreciated. 

Dan

Daniel Alberts RPT
    Connellsville PA
    (724) 628-4298