CAUT

• 1.  Hacking Apple AirTags or similar (PLS unplugged)

Registered Piano Technician
    Posted 05-28-2023 20:37

Hello everyone,

Is there someone who tried hacking Apple AirTags or similar to send us an alert when a piano's humidity system is being unplugged ?

------------------------------
    Allan Sutton, m.mus. RPT
    Saint-Laurent QC
    (514) 344-8008
    www.pianotechniquemontreal.com
    www.facebook.com/pianotechniquemontreal
    twitter: @allansutton

• 2.  RE: Hacking Apple AirTags or similar (PLS unplugged)

Posted 05-29-2023 10:28
    I don't know about air tags, but a possible solution would be to use a data logger which can send email notifications when parameters you set are exceeded.  We use those for rooms where multiple pianos are kept, but there is no reason you couldn't secrete one somewhere in a specific piano.  Ours cost around $250, and require WiFi; there are several brands and I don't necessarily think ours are the best or only ones to use. T&D Thermo, tr72A.
    These also report to their website, you can see graphs of time and temperature.  So, you may be able to determine who forgot to plug the DC in, based on the room schedule and the humidity graphs. Other brands may have features that work better for your situation.
    Ken Walkup

• 3.  RE: Hacking Apple AirTags or similar (PLS unplugged)

Posted 05-29-2023 11:14

I AM INVESTIGATING USING THE INTERNET TO MONITOR AND SEND ME REMOTE READINGS FROM A NUMBER OF CHURCH LOCATIONS THAT HAVE UPGRADED THEIR INTERNET. A FEW YEARS AGO I DISCUSSED THIS IDEA WITH THE SERVICE REP I WORKED WITH WHEN I PURCHASED A NUMBER OF LASCAR DATA LOGGERS. PRICES HAVECOME DOWN AND FEATURES HAVE IMPROVED . ONE IDEA I MAY EXPLORE IS ADDING SOME TYPE OF BLUE TOOTH ADAPTER THAT WILL SEND A SIGNAL TO THE LOGGER WHICH IN TURN RELAYS THAT TO MY COMPUTER. I THINK BLUETOOTH AND AIRTAGS HAVE LIMITED RANGES HOWEVER THERE IS A SYSTEM THAT CAN BE USED TO TRACK WORK TOOLS WHEN THEY ARE LOST, STOLEN , NOT RETURNED TO THE TOOL CRIB. I TAKE IT YOU HAVE PROBLEMS WITH SYSTEMS BEING UNPLUGGED TO MOVE A PIANO AND NOT PLUGGED IN AFTER, OR USERS ARE ANNOYED BY FLASHING LOW WATER/BAD PAD LIGHTS . 

James Kelly
    Owner- Fur Elise Piano Service
    Pawleys Island SC
    (843) 325-4357

• 4.  RE: Hacking Apple AirTags or similar (PLS unplugged)

Posted 05-29-2023 11:54
    Thank you Kenneth, James,

The problem we have is exactly what you describe.

If you know an engineer who may be looking for an unusual and exciting project, I have prepared this solicitation:

We're developing a project in a music school with high-end pianos, aiming to use Apple's AirTag technology for monitoring the status of each piano's humidity control system. The primary goal is to create an alert system that triggers when the humidity system is unplugged or otherwise offline.

We've worked with AI, specifically OpenAI's ChatGPT, to devise a technical scheme involving a 3V regulator, a 2V backup power source, and a power loss detection circuit.

This project leverages the vast network of iPhones, providing a more reliable solution compared to traditional WiFi connections and could revolutionize the way we maintain pianos.

If you know an engineer who may be interested in this project, please feel free to forward this email to them or provide their contact information.

Thank you for your assistance!

Best regards,

Allan Sutton, m.mus. RPT

• 5.  RE: Hacking Apple AirTags or similar (PLS unplugged)

Posted 05-29-2023 13:04

I'm just a very long time Apple product user, but I think hacking AirTag technology is a lost cause. Apple is very concerned about controlling their technology, and regularly throws up roadblocks when they think their technology is being used inappropriately.
    That said, there's a lot of "smart plug" technology that could probably be used to solve this problem.

Patrick Draine RPT
    Billerica MA
    (978) 663-9690

• 6.  RE: Hacking Apple AirTags or similar (PLS unplugged)

Posted 05-29-2023 13:13

You could use a UPS (uninterruptible power supply) to provide power to the Lifesaver system if the power is removed.  It will make beeping sounds to indicate that power has been lost.   If you use one, when someone unplugs the piano, they'll hear it.  If not, eventually the battery will discharge of course.  The PLS should have a WiFi option and app for your phone to warn of low water or power failure. 

Paul McCloud, RPT
    Accutone Piano Service
    www.AccutonePianoService.com
    pavadasa@gmail.com

• 7.  RE: Hacking Apple AirTags or similar (PLS unplugged)

Posted 05-29-2023 13:19

Here's something that might work:
    https://www.amazon.com/Power-Failure-Detector-Message-Alerts/dp/B089QQNKJLhttps://www.amazon.com/Power-Failure-Detector-Message-Alerts/dp/B089QQNKJL

Paul McCloud, RPT
    Accutone Piano Service
    www.AccutonePianoService.com
    pavadasa@gmail.com

• 8.  RE: Hacking Apple AirTags or similar (PLS unplugged)

Posted 05-29-2023 14:59
    Paul, that is obviously the best solution, thank you !

Patrick is right, it would not be wise to go the "hacking Apple" route.

Best,

Allan Sutton, m.mus. RPT, TEC