Pianotech

Expand all | Collapse all

Help! Moldy Steinway D in concert hall with little time.

• 1.  Help! Moldy Steinway D in concert hall with little time.

Posted 03-04-2023 08:03

The climate control system in a local concert venue has evidently failed, turning the storage room for their Steinway D into a "sauna" for the past couple months.  I received a message last night requesting that I clean "mold blooms" from the piano and hammers prior to the concert on Thursday.  I can only access the piano on Tuesday due to room schedules and my upcoming surgery on Wednesday-Thursday.  I "may" have 5-7 hours to work on it on Tuesday, but I'm concerned about the hazards of mold removal from hammers (not to mention potential liability), and trying to tune a piano for a concert with that much moisture content two days prior to the event.  (Judy Carmichael --- "stride" pianist).  I hate walking blindly into a potential disaster with a limited time frame. 

Suggestions?   Cautions?  Is this a potential "hazmat" situation? 

------------------------------
    Timothy Edwards
    Beckley WV
    (740) 517-7636

• 2.  RE: Help! Moldy Steinway D in concert hall with little time.

Registered Piano Technician
    Posted 03-04-2023 08:24

Tough situation there.  Drying it out is going to take some time, so probably not much you can do about that.  I'd wear a mask or respirator for sure if you're working with mold.  I'm pretty sure Cory products has something for treating mold.  I might go so far as to use a drying machine that is used after someone has a flood in the home.  You might be able to rent one.

Good luck.

Paul McCloud, RPT
    Accutone Piano Service
    www.AccutonePianoService.com
    pavadasa@gmail.com

• 3.  RE: Help! Moldy Steinway D in concert hall with little time.

Posted 03-04-2023 08:27
    The first question is, did they plug the DC back in, or is it still out?

Removing the mold might not be the hardest part. Yes, it will take time. (use a bleach product). The bigger concern is the tuning stability. As I asked, has the DC problem been solved? If not, you might have a hard time keeping the piano in tune.

Is there any way you can have access to the piano other than the day before your doctors appointment?  Can you get in there over the weekend? 

That's my recommendation. 

• 4.  RE: Help! Moldy Steinway D in concert hall with little time.

Posted 03-04-2023 08:35

PS: I have used Scott's Outdoor Cleaner, peroxide based, on my personal instruments with great success & with the mold either not returning at all or returning much later than with other products. I haven't used it on a good piano, though. 

Wim: Bleach has been proven to encourage mold growth in the long run on porous surfaces. Works great on non porous surfaces, though. 😉 

Maggie Jusiel, RPT
    Athens, WV
    (304)952-8615
    mags@timandmaggie.net

• 5.  RE: Help! Moldy Steinway D in concert hall with little time.

Posted 03-04-2023 08:43

PPS! I JUST learned that grain alcohol can encourage growth with certain types of mold! Dag-nabbit!!! Back to other alcohols, peroxide & Scott's Outdoor Cleaner. I have used the latter on all kinds of surfaces, incliding books, various finishes, & raw fingerboards, without any discoloration. Also works on laundry. LOL! 

PPPS: I really hate mold. It's everywhere here. Sometimes you can even smell it outside when you get out of your car after breathing cleaner air through your car air filter. 😒  

Maggie Jusiel, RPT
    Athens, WV
    (304)952-8615
    mags@timandmaggie.net

• 6.  RE: Help! Moldy Steinway D in concert hall with little time.

Posted 03-04-2023 09:15
    I agree that mold is not something to be taken lightly. Depending on how much is inside the piano, it might be worth getting a company like Servpro to evaluate the piano. If this mold is inside the action parts and on the soundboard under the plate, you might want to recommend a complete rebuild. If it can be proven that the failure of the DC system was due to an electrical problem, insurance might pay for it. 

• 7.  RE: Help! Moldy Steinway D in concert hall with little time.

Posted 03-04-2023 10:22

I faced this situation at least a half dozen time. I would not touch it and would tell them to rent a piano for the event. The situation has been going on for months and they want it fixed two days prior to a concert by a stride pianist ? are you kidding me. ?  You are exposing yourself to a significant health hazard and it is highly likely there is black mold luring in the action, under the keys, on the beams. What exactly was the climate control system - was it a dampp chaser/piano life saver ? room dehumidifier ? This is very likely a hazardous removal situation that requires inspection by a mold inspection/testing company . Not only is the piano contaminated but the entire storage room may be filled with mold and mold spores. I condemned a piano that directly under a roof leak after visually black mold on the keysticks and in the action. A second Steinway grand was in a house where the electricity had been off for an entire year. We are on the coast of South Carolina where mold will thrive and take hold when there is a lack of air conditioning and the air is thick with humidity. The owner wanted to move the piano to her mothers assisted living home ! I insisted it was not safe and needed to be encapsulated and removed by trained mold techs wearing proper equipment .  

aLSO KEEP IN MIND THAT THE HIGH HUMIDITY HAS AFFECTED ALL OF THE GLUES AND FELTS , ACTION CENTERS,KEYS, BUSHINGS,PUNCHINGS, DAMPERS,PINBLOCK,STRINGS - 

I would write up a report , take tons of photos, take temp and rh readings and decline the job..... 

James Kelly
    Owner- Fur Elise Piano Service
    Pawleys Island SC
    (843) 325-4357

• 8.  RE: Help! Moldy Steinway D in concert hall with little time.

Posted 03-04-2023 10:46

They need to rent a piano and claim total loss on their insurance for a replacement. Their emergency is not more valuable than your reputation.

Larry Messerly, RPT
    Bringing Harmony to Homes
    www.lacrossepianotuning.com
    ljmesserly@gmail.com
    928-899-7292

• 9.  RE: Help! Moldy Steinway D in concert hall with little time.

Posted 03-04-2023 11:30
    I hadn’t even thought about the pianist being exposed to the mild when she’s playing.

I agree that the best course of action for the venue is to rent a piano for this concert. Either that, or make sure she knows what she’s playing and ask if she wants to do so.

Sent from my iPhone

• 10.  RE: Help! Moldy Steinway D in concert hall with little time.

Posted 03-04-2023 11:53
    The old saying is that "Fools go where angels dare to tread."

This instrument needs an evaluation before any decision and that
    cannot be done by Thursday.

First step is climate control and slow dehumidification. Too fast and
    there can be problems.

People either respect professional advice that they don't like, and
    hire you in the future, or blame you for trying and getting it not as
    satisfactory as they'd like it to be and never hire you again.

I'd put them on notice to hire an instrument for the night and be
    willing to go along and evaluate. If it's really not too bad then
    perhaps the hire can be cancelled but prepare for the worst and
    exclude liability.

Best wishes

David P

--
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    David Pinnegar, B.Sc., A.R.C.S.
    +44 1342 850594

• 11.  RE: Help! Moldy Steinway D in concert hall with little time.

Posted 03-04-2023 12:41
    Sorry - brain moldy. The expression is "where angels fear to tread."

Wouldn't want that sort of slip, metaphorically, on stage on Thursday!

Best wishes

David P

--
    David Pinnegar, B.Sc., A.R.C.S.
    +44 1342 850594

• 12.  RE: Help! Moldy Steinway D in concert hall with little time.

Posted 03-04-2023 12:58
    Greetings, 

There are times when the most profitable thing we can do is to refuse a job.  I would tell them the piano is not usable in this time frame, and may never be.  The risk will be either to one's relationship with the account or to one's lungs and health.  Not much of a decision imho. 
    Regards, 

• 13.  RE: Help! Moldy Steinway D in concert hall with little time.

Posted 03-04-2023 16:03

I will repeat my message They need to rent. Using this instrument is too dangerous to everyone including you and the artist. I believe this artist played an outdoor concert here on a rented instrument . Every time the hammers move they will throw off mold spores. Who knows what will get released or transferred when you tune it , play test blows etc. When we had severe flooding of the rivers here away from the coast I did several inspections of pianos that had been in flooded homes. A large upright had so much moisture in the hammers that the mechanical moisture meters showed 100 % on the meter; same thing with the electronic digital meters. It had been in a moisture laden home where water had risen to the pedals and bottom board A grand piano in another town had been sitting in standing water halfway up the legs. 3/4 of the hammers had peeled off there cores and it too had high moisture readings in the action . each piano had little to no visible mold but it was probably starting. All new hammers shanks and flanges where installed but the customer did not want to go for whippens despite my recommendation to replace them All that moisture had really affected the action centers. Just lay it out and refuse to take the job 

James Kelly
    Pawleys Island SC
    (843) 325-4357

• 14.  RE: Help! Moldy Steinway D in concert hall with little time.

Posted 03-04-2023 19:01

Wow!?? So much to digest here.?? I will examine the piano on Tuesday and make a decision.?? If black mold is present, I'll decline to work on it until remediated.?? If it mostly just cosmetic "white" or "green" mold, I may see what I can do with it.??

It's my understanding that some black molds are toxic, but not all.?? If that's present I'll want it evaluated by a pro before continuing to service that piano.??

Thanks everyone!

--  Tim Edwards, Piano Technician 740-593-3998  Piano Tuning and Repair since 1977 timdepianoman@gmail.com

Virus-free.www.avast.com

• 15.  RE: Help! Moldy Steinway D in concert hall with little time.

Posted 03-04-2023 19:25

Tim ... please decline the job regardless of what color mold it is . There are many types of mold and people have different sensitivites to them. There are many excellent web sites with pictures to help identify molds  and there are a variety of test kits as well. Most kits requiring samples that need to go to a lab . Given what you said, the piano has been severely compromised. The venue did not properly care for the instrument . I would bet that the artist would rather not play on the instrument. If it is in fact Judy Carmichael she was booked a year in advance when she played here so the venue should have had the instrument stored safely and monitored closely. You will be risking your health and the health of others. I would slap a big warning sign on it cautioning everyone not to play /clean/tune the instrument . Put caution tape across the fall board .Although the instrument was not in a flood situation there was guidance put out by the Australian Piano Technicians Guild on condemning flood exposed pianos 

James Kelly
    Pawleys Island SC
    (843) 325-4357

• 16.  RE: Help! Moldy Steinway D in concert hall with little time.

Posted 03-04-2023 21:00

Thanks to all here!

Many of you have kindly suggested I decline to work on this piano.?? This is a very difficult decision for me.?? Were it a new customer it'd be easy, but I've been tuning for this venue since 2015.?? They had built a separate, climate-controlled room (no "DC" system) for this Steinway.?? Over these years, the piano has been very stable, never varying any more than 10 cents on a tuning.???? They spent a sizable sum this past summer to have Andy Lyford come and do a complete voicing and regulation.?? He was quite impressed with the care the piano has had over the years.???? They have referred several other customers to me.???? Their organization provides 5-10 concerts per year to the public, and season tickets for my wife and I total only $85.00 per year.????

The climate control system in that room has been reliable up until this year.?? It's a tragic situation for them, and I'd really like to help them any way I can (without compromising anyone's health).???? It is doubtful that this piano will be used for the upcoming concert, but I'm doing my best to explore what options may be feasible going forward.???? I seriously doubt that any mold remediation crew will have knowledge of how to deal with a piano!??

So --- a couple questions:??

1)?????? How can I assess whether this piano is "salvageable", a re-build candidate, or a write-off????? i.e.--- If it's just some white mold on the case and a few spots on some hammers, does it make sense to write it off????? Andy (who worked on it this past summer) seems to think it should be salvageable with a bit of "cleanup".???? (Again -- I haven't yet seen the piano, and probably won't until Tuesday).???? I've purchased some masks, goggles, and some mold killer/cleaning solutions to test if it doesn't appear too badly damaged; but I suspect that we may have to have a professional test the mold to be sure it can be safely used.????

2)?????? Assuming that more extensive remediation or rebuilding is required, will rebuilding shops even consider working on a piano like this???

I really appreciate everyone's concern on this, and I hope to be able to find a workable solution for these people.?? They've been good customers through the years, and a valuable asset to the community.

Thanks.

--- Tim

--  Tim Edwards, Piano Technician 740-593-3998  Piano Tuning and Repair since 1977 timdepianoman@gmail.com

Virus-free.www.avast.com

• 17.  RE: Help! Moldy Steinway D in concert hall with little time.

Posted 03-04-2023 21:42
    Tim

Until you can evaluate the piano, there is nothing you can do, except notify the venue manager about the possible problems you might run into. It's only fair to give them fair notice and let them make the decision what to do. 

Good luck

• 18.  RE: Help! Moldy Steinway D in concert hall with little time.

Posted 03-05-2023 02:47
    Tim,
    Was reading the thread about your venue's humidity damaged piano-and that is as much of an issue as the mold, as the piano will not be stable until it has "normalized" which likely will take weeks. Judy Carmichael  played here very recently. She puts a piano "through its paces" and this piano right now is not up to it. So, forget prepping this piano for the concert and insist the venue rent another piano for the concert.  THEN deal with this piano later (after you have recovered from your medical procedures). With only one day available, you can't do much, if anything. Let them know you will evaluate their piano later, and concentrate on preparing the rental piano for the concert. If you have a good, long-term, relationship with the venue, they will, or should, appreciate your help in this crisis, and should heed your advice and council.
    David D.

• 19.  RE: Help! Moldy Steinway D in concert hall with little time.

Posted 03-05-2023 11:16

If you do end up cleaning it yourself.

I would try TSP to remove the mold.

And Borax to prevent the mold from coming back.

Both can usually be bought from a hardware store.

Wear goggles, gloves and a respirator.

Gannon Rhinehart
    Santa Fe NM
    (505) 692-8385

• 20.  RE: Help! Moldy Steinway D in concert hall with little time.

Posted 03-05-2023 21:36

Well, well, well.???? Finally got to get "eyes" on the piano tonight.??

No mold on hammers.?? Relative humidity in the room was 32%.?? Observed some tiny bits of mildew on a few damper heads, a plate strut, and the case rim.?? No sluggish action centers.?? No deposits on soundboard. ?? Piano needs tuning and was 22 cents FLAT, so I cannot believe that it was subjected to the extremely high humidity conditions that I was led to believe.?? (It was tuned to 440 back in November.)?? I have no idea what "black spots" the president of the concert association observed on the hammers.?? Perhaps a fly???

Given all the hub-bub over this, they plan to have a professional check the deposits (what little there is), but this appears to be a purely cosmetic issue.

Many thanks for all the concern.?? Sorry to take so much of everyone's time, but I did learn a lot from these conversations.??

p.s.--- Why does this web software keep inserting question marks into my replies???

Thanks.

--- Tim

Virus-free.www.avast.com

• 21.  RE: Help! Moldy Steinway D in concert hall with little time.

Posted 03-05-2023 21:47
    Tim

This is why we're here. Many minds coming together to give advice. 

Best of luck to you.

Wim

• 22.  RE: Help! Moldy Steinway D in concert hall with little time.

Posted 03-05-2023 08:47

Tim, 

I am not as experienced as many here with mold, but I will add my two cents.  I have tuned my fair share of musty pianos, being in central NC and having fairly high humidity to deal with a lot of the time.  

But there is one memory that sticks out to me regarding the dangers of tuning moldy pianos.  
    I was tuning for an elderly woman and her childhood piano.  I opened it up and the hammers were evenly and completely lined with lightly fuzzy white mold.  I thought the same as you - well, this isn't the dangerous kind so I guess I will proceed with the tuning. 
    I have asthma, well-controlled, only flares up when I am sick and have allergy issues (seasonal environmental allergies) - I wouldn't classify it as severe.  
    Halfway through the bass my lungs started to protest, and by the midway point of the pitch correction I had to take my emergency inhaler because I was starting to have trouble breathing.  
    I hardly ever take that inhaler - maybe 3-4 times a year.  Thankfully I had a good quality mask in my car, and i wore that for the duration of the tuning.  
    If asked, I would not tune that piano again.  And it has made me think twice about a few pianos since.  

We never know what health conditions a pianist may or may not have, and asthma is very common.  If you need to share this anecdote with the concert venue as a reason for caution, I don't mind.  
    Mold is so dangerous and I fear that we often underestimate the white and green versions.  

I hope it goes okay and that they will listen and respect your expertise! 
    All the best, 

- Hannah J. 

Hannah Jones
    Joyful Noise Piano Service
    Siler City, NC
    336-609-4029
    joyfulnoisepianoservice@gmail.com
    "Make a joyful noise unto the Lord, all the earth!" - Psalm 100:1

• 23.  RE: Help! Moldy Steinway D in concert hall with little time.

Posted 03-05-2023 10:15

The last two posts should convince you to step away. Recommend a rental, take pictures, write a report. Yes we all feel an attachment to loyal customers but your health and the health of others is more important. Even if you could treat the visible mold too much is unknown. I am willing to bet that many things in this piano are compromised especially hammer felt glue joints, keys, whippens, perhaps rusted strings, tight damper guide rail bushings. If the pianist puts the piano through its paces it will be sending spores all over the venue and hammers are likely to unravel. This piano is an insurance claim . The venue should have had a better system, of monitoring with alarms, weekly inspections, preventive maintenance. I have had several church clients that neglected their C7 Yamahas . Two cases involved underpowered , old ac equipment. Another church shut off the ac in the summer for 3 months to pull up and replace the carpets. A church had brrn hit by a lightening bolt on the steeple and wiring throughout got fried. To save money they hired a handman who replaced the ac thermostat with an off/on switch. Carpet , seating, instruments including the C7 suffered big time. Many choir members got sick from the mold and dampness. I had to put a new top stack in and major work mating hammers, papering flanges, regulation, easing keys. 

James Kelly
    Pawleys Island SC
    (843) 325-4357

• 24.  RE: Help! Moldy Steinway D in concert hall with little time.

Posted 03-05-2023 11:09

The venue would putting you and others at risk if they insist on going through with this. The professional thing to do is advise and decline. 

Peter Grey
    Stratham NH
    (603) 686-2395
    pianodoctor57@gmail.com

• 25.  RE: Help! Moldy Steinway D in concert hall with little time.

Posted 03-05-2023 23:16

I have used the products from this company when I needed to identify mold / mildews on the beams and plate of a Yamaha C7. They will also provide free consultation and referrals to professionals. It would be an excellent idea to install data loggers that will continuously monitor temp and rh as well as dew point 

24 hours a day. The loggers can be set to send alarms out when the temp and rh are above or below the limits you set. Plugging the loggers into a computer can chart out all of the info collected and show graphs of what really happens in the wee hours or how big swings in the weather change the environment  . I believe that loggers now are bluetooth capable and can transfer data to a smart phone or laptop app

https://healthfulhome.com/the-5-minute-mold-test/

James Kelly
    Pawleys Island SC
    (843) 325-4357

• 26.  RE: Help! Moldy Steinway D in concert hall with little time.

Posted 03-04-2023 08:27

Welcome to WV! LOL!

Unfortunately, Life-Saver systems only work within a range & we often exceed that range. If it were me, I would clean as much as possible with low water alcohol (the 190-200 proof type) on wood surfaces to clean & encourage water evaporation, then I would file the hammers a wee bit. I'm curious to see what others say because I need this info, too. 

The bad news is once that mold takes hold, it will always come back. Nothing gets rid of it completely. The idea that bleach will kill it on porous surfaces is a myth. The water in bleach penetrates further than the bleach & actually encourages growth. I have been told that peroxide kills mold best, and it does seem to work, but I have had problems with that on some surfaces. 

You might want to inform the customer that this will be a continuing problem to make sure they don't hold you responsible. 

Good luck! 

Maggie Jusiel, RPT
    Athens, WV
    (304)952-8615
    mags@timandmaggie.net