CAUT

• 1.  Hickman Action

Registered Piano Technician
    Posted 02-28-2023 19:02
    This is the Knabe with the Hickman Action and Touch Adjustment. That's the slider adjustment on the left cheek block. The diagram shows the spring under the key.
    The museum in Greenville SC has turned it down. The church wants to get rid of it, but is aware that it is a rare piano. Any suggestions will be appreciated.
    Still haven't been back to the Kawai with the damper situation and haven't heard anymore about it so maybe I fixed it. Doubtful, but every now and then I get lucky. Thanks for all the help and I'll keep you posted.

------------------------------
    James Baker RPT
    Matthews NC
    (704) 517-6674

• 2.  RE: Hickman Action

Posted 02-28-2023 20:48
    Photo of the Hickman model action at the PTG museum.
    This is a picture of the Hickman model action that is part of the PTG museum collection. Anyone interesting in how this action works can contact me by email -- I have an MS Word document with an analysis by Richard Vance that goes into some detail. I also have a collection of drawings showing the action at different stages of its operation. 

ddf

[Delwin D] Fandrich] [RPT]
    [Piano Design & Manufacturing Consultant]
    [Fandrich Piano Co., Inc.]
    [Olympia] [WA]
    [360-515-0119]

• 3.  RE: Hickman Action

Posted 03-01-2023 10:23

James,

I suggest you contact my brother, Robbie Rhodes, who is the editor of the MMDigest.  He will likely post the for-sale information for the Knabe.  You can reach him at:

https://www.mmdigest.com/Contact

BTW, the Vance article which Del referred to was originally published in the MMDigest -- and has animation frames which I created to help visualize the operation of the Hickman action.

John Rhodes
    Vancouver WA
    (360) 721-0728
    jrhodes@pacifier.com