Harpsichord

View Only
  • 1.  how long to install a new set of jacks in a Zuckermann Flemish

Registered Piano Technician
    Posted 04-23-2023 15:18

Well, I thought I'd continue my usual bit of asking ridiculous questions...

I have this customer who has a Flemish Zuckermann.  Because he didn't take my advice about humidity control some years ago after I got the instrument playing, it became mostly unplayable again.  Especially the 4'.  The owner pulled out the jacks from the 4' and now he can't find them.  I've been waiting for them for about a year, and am ready to tell him I'm done storing his harpsichord.  But, just in case--how long would it take a competent tech to install a new set in one choir?  I can get things to work, but I wouldn't say I'm competent.  I just want to know how long it <should> take.

Thanks.
    Barb Richmond

------------------------------
    Barbara Richmond, RPT
    Bloomington, Illinois

• 2.  RE: how long to install a new set of jacks in a Zuckermann Flemish

Posted 04-24-2023 11:53
    I can't really provide a specific timing, as I don't keep enough records and memory fades, but I'll try to provide a good guesstimate. There are a number of steps included. I'm assuming you are purchasing a new set of Zuckermann jacks.

• Attach tongues - probably an hour
    • Cut to length - the actual cutting is pretty fast if you have a band saw. Determine the precise length, which will involve doing a couple sample jacks, including installing plectra, cutting them to appropriate length, voicing  and staggering. Having established a successful length for the sample jacks, set a fence on the band saw and cut them all. Including the experimentation with the samples, this will take maybe a couple hours. If you don't have a bandsaw and need to do it by hand it will be more time-consuming.
    • Install plectra and trim them to length (immobilize the register so that the plectra of your sample jacks will just ghost the strings, and cut all plectra to ghost) Perhaps 2 hours
    • Voice plectra. Perhaps 3 hours
    • Touch up staggering: if you have been successful in establishing a good length for the jacks, this shouldn't take too long.

So I guess I am saying about a day. I could probably get it done faster than that, but I have a lot of experience. 

Fred Sturm
    fssturm@unm.edu
    www.artoftuning.com
    http://fredsturm.net
    "Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." -Gustav Mahler

• 3.  RE: how long to install a new set of jacks in a Zuckermann Flemish

Posted 04-24-2023 16:28

Thanks, Fred!

Barbara Richmond, RPT
    Bloomington, Illinois

• 4.  RE: how long to install a new set of jacks in a Zuckermann Flemish

Posted 04-24-2023 18:31

Fred is describing the current Z. jacks.
    If the instrument is an earlier vintage, replacement of one rank of jacks may be complicated.
    What do the current jacks look like?
    Are they white or brown plastic?

Ed Sutton
    ed440@me.com
    (980) 254-7413

• 5.  RE: how long to install a new set of jacks in a Zuckermann Flemish

Posted 04-25-2023 09:12

Hi Ed,

They are brown!

Barb

Barbara Richmond, RPT
    Bloomington, Illinois

• 6.  RE: how long to install a new set of jacks in a Zuckermann Flemish

Posted 04-25-2023 15:03

That's good news. The current jacks should fit.

Ed Sutton
    ed440@me.com
    (980) 254-7413

• 7.  RE: how long to install a new set of jacks in a Zuckermann Flemish

Posted 04-25-2023 22:09

A detail on cutting the jacks to length: Number the jacks, install tongues and plectra, lay them on a board, side-by-side and line up the tops to a straight edge.
    Pick one jack per octave and trim it to perfect length in the harpsichord, then return it to the line of jacks. Draw a line between the cut jacks to indicate the cutting lengths for the rest of the jacks.
    Cutting with a razor saw using an Exacto mini mitre box goes quickly.
    [I think I got this from Richard Kingston.]

Ed Sutton
    ed440@me.com
    (980) 254-7413