Harpsichord

View Only
  • 1.  how long to restring one choir?

Registered Piano Technician
    Posted 02-20-2023 21:47

Hi

Even though I have restrung a harpsichord, I was wondering how long it should actually take.  It took me a while to hit my stride, and then, well, I never timed myself.  5 minutes per note? Measure, unwind new wire, make the tail, install?

Thanks,

Barb 

------------------------------
    Barbara Richmond, RPT
    Bloomington, Illinois

• 2.  RE: how long to restring one choir?

Posted 02-21-2023 01:19

Hi Barb,

I do on average about 5 harpsichord restringings a year for full instruments in a slow year.  I generally take about 30 seconds a wire if I had to guess.  I do my string schedule early on which takes about 30 minutes on average if the schedule doesn't exist.  I would note however that there are several online from manufacturers that have been invaluable in cleaning up some bad scaling in some instruments.  (Just a thought to help with time.)

I have seen several people approach this many ways but for me this is what I find fastest:

-Schedule sheet creation (30 minutes)

-Destringing/Pin Removal (1-2 hours depends on the instrument...)

-Setup stringing system and string.  (Here is mine)

• Strings in order on wire spools by size on a rack
    • Sitting on a rubber topped stool I pull the string under my leg and use the weight of it to counter as I make my loops with the hammer hook.
    • I take the string and attach it to the hitchpin and run it its length, from there I pull it tight and cut to a prederminded length based off of how I need to coil the instrument.  (Typically just at the end of the lower manual.)
    • Coil and bring to some form of close to "pitch"
    • Repeat a lot....

I hope this helps a bit.  I highly recommend wire spools as opposed to trying to use just rolled up wire, it loves to come apart on you...  It takes me a while to get into my grove as well, but I typically can go through the whole process on a French double in a working day and get the instrument totally strung and have a rough tuning on it.  I spend a lot of my time during the tuning watching coiling and pin height, and I find doing this at this speed with focus creates consistent hitchpin loops and lengths, as well as consistent coiling on the instruments.

Best,

Corbin

Corbin Sturch
    University of Houston
    Houston TX
    (870) 307-5645

• 3.  RE: how long to restring one choir?

Posted 02-21-2023 06:03

Hi Corbin,

Wow, thanks!  Man, I'm a model of inefficiency. :-)  

Barb

Barbara Richmond, RPT
    Bloomington, Illinois

• 4.  RE: how long to restring one choir?

Posted 02-21-2023 10:43

Corbin- I like the idea of using your leg as a brake to hold the wire. This solves a major problem of wire management.

I have two clavichords I want to restring...when I can get some brass wire.

Any movement re: the Instrument Workshop?

Ed Sutton
    ed440@me.com
    (980) 254-7413

• 5.  RE: how long to restring one choir?

Posted 02-22-2023 10:50
    Ed, I would recommend calling Zuckermann for brass wire. I’m pretty sure they use Little Falls wire which is the same wire (as far as I know), as what Instrument Workshop stocked.

Fwiw, I am not a super fast stringer, and would estimate that a whole stringing operation takes me about two good working days, as long I don’t run into issues.

Beth