CAUT

• 1.  How to disconnect Estonia pedal rods from pedals?

Registered Piano Technician
    Posted 01-04-2024 20:17
      |   view attached

Salutations all,

Today I took home a recent model Estonia lyre to reglue the creaky joints. I need to get the pedal rods off and out of the way, but they're firmly connected to the pedals with some kind of ball joint encased in plastic or silicone. 

I don't want to force them off, but I imagine there must be a way to disconnect them, right?

thanks!

------------------------------
    Scott Cole, RPT
    rvpianotuner.com
    Talent, OR
    (541-601-9033

• 2.  RE: How to disconnect Estonia pedal rods from pedals?

Posted 01-08-2024 18:46
    I can't answer your question, but for the past several years I have dealt with loose lyre joints with a liberal application of extra thin CA. Have not yet experienced a recurrence of the problem (I had 2 or 3 recurrences when I disassembled, applied wood glue, reassembled, usually sawing out the old wedges and installing new ones).
    Regards,
    Fred Sturm
    http://fredsturm.net
    www.artoftuning.com
    "A mind is not a vessel to be filled, but a fire to be kindled." Plutarch

• 3.  RE: How to disconnect Estonia pedal rods from pedals?

Posted 01-08-2024 19:41
    I should have added the detail that the CA is applied to the top of the joint. IOW, remove lyre and apply around the circle exposed for the top joint. For the bottom joint, you will need to remove the wood on the bottom to expose the ends of the dowels. Liberal application means apply, let soak in, repeat, repeat. Work the loose joint while applying. If it has come apart a bit, you need to hammer it back together.
    Regards,
    Fred Sturm
    www.artoftuning.com
    "One's real life is so often the life that one does not lead" (Oscar Wilde)

• 4.  RE: How to disconnect Estonia pedal rods from pedals?

Posted 01-09-2024 13:42

Fred,

Thanks for the reply. Here's the upshot:

First, the pedal rods turned out to be easy--just remove the bottom panel of the pedal box, remove the adjuster nuts from the pedal rods, and the pedal/rods slide right out.

The real problem, I believe, is a manufacturing defect. The problem of squeaking is induced by twisting the posts, and I don't think the joints actually loosened up. Why the squeaking started to manifest recently is a mystery. The owner's theory is that it's a result of having the piano moved, with the lyre used to stand the piano up. I don't think that's the case.

However, the construction is generally rock-solid, and there are bolstering screws going in at an angle, which I removed to try to get the lyre apart. (Note that while there are wedges at the pedal box joints there are none at the top joints.) Those joints would not budge, and there is no up-down movement. At the upper joints, there is a very slight space at the back. Had joint separation been induced by playing, the lyre would have been pushed back, leading to a space at the front, right? Same at the bottom, though the space is not visible. I've fixed loose lyre joints, and you can see the joint moving. Not on this one.

My diagnosis is that the vertical beams, were not faced correctly. The surfaces were not planed 90 degrees to the tenons (or maybe mortises in the capital). Even if I could loosen the joint, there's no way to get all sides of the parts to mate perfectly.  Perhaps the lower joints are simply glue-starved.

My solution, since the piano is under warranty (and since my mucking about more with it might void that warranty, not to mention cause actual obvious damage...) was to advise the owner to contact the dealer. Sometimes you gotta punt.

Scott Cole, RPT
    rvpianotuner.com
    Talent, OR
    (541-601-9033

• 5.  RE: How to disconnect Estonia pedal rods from pedals?

Posted 01-09-2024 13:55
    A lot of squeaking occurs in polyester surfaces where polyester rubs against polyester. Benches are the worst offenders, but it occurs in lyres as well. I had a 70s Yamaha grand in a practice room with squeaks/groans that were lyre related, but the lyre seemed quite solid. I ended up dosing with CA around the crack in the poly at the top joint and resolved it (after much trial and error with other approaches). 

In those Yamaha lyres, they ran a metal pin across the joint, as I found in a separate case where I actually disassembled the lyre with much difficulty and reassembly trouble. That was the situation that led me to change my protocol to CA as the primary solution to lyre solidity problems (after a few colleagues reported that was what they were doing). 
    Regards,
    Fred Sturm
    www.artoftuning.com
    "One's real life is so often the life that one does not lead" (Oscar Wilde)