Pianotech

• 1.  Howard (1980s?) grand pedal rod ends failing

Registered Piano Technician
    Posted 01-14-2023 18:24

Just had a call from a customer about the ends of her pedal rods crumbling (black stuff coming off) and now her soft pedal is really hard to use, and squeaks. This happened after she was playing the piano with the soft pedal on so her husband could use the phone.  The piano was recently moved from its long-term home in her church to her house, so maybe the movers messed up the rod placement--although it worked fine for about a month. 

Is this a normal malady with these painos?  I am scheduled to go look at it on Monday.

David D.

• 2.  RE: Howard (1980s?) grand pedal rod ends failing

Posted 01-14-2023 18:31
    Sounds like the rubber cap on the end of the rod has crumbled and now the rod is touching the shift rod, causing the squeak. You will have to figure out what kind of cap was on there before and replace it.

Wim.

Sent from my iPhone

• 3.  RE: Howard (1980s?) grand pedal rod ends failing

Posted 01-14-2023 19:10
    Yes, Wim is right on target with this.  The black stuff is the rubber cap disintegrating into dust.

------------------------------
    Kenneth Jeffs, RPT, Ph.D.
    Chesterfield, MO United States
    kenneth@curtisreso.com
    (314) 960-6389

• 4.  RE: Howard (1980s?) grand pedal rod ends failing

Posted 01-14-2023 20:33
    A good solution is to use buckskin placed in the pedal cup where the end of the rod rests . Two strips laid across each other -one horizontal one vertical work great and can be trimmed. It is not always easy to find rubber caps that fit. While at it I would do all three rods

James Kelly
    Owner- Fur Elise Piano Service
    Pawleys Island SC
    (843) 325-4357

• 5.  RE: Howard (1980s?) grand pedal rod ends failing

Posted 01-15-2023 11:00
    Related question: I need to do a t-nut repair on an old S&S grand. I'd also like to tighten the wood lyre supports. What's the best way to do that?
    thanks!

Scott Cole, RPT
    rvpianotuner.com
    Talent, OR
    (541-601-9033

• 6.  RE: Howard (1980s?) grand pedal rod ends failing

Posted 01-15-2023 14:35
    Scott   some pictures would help to see what you have to work with in the pedal box and at the top of wood supports. You may have to clean out broken off dowels or anything in the holes. You may have to fabricate some blocks to place at the top under the keybed. There are some screws with cups on the top thatn you could use or you could jerry rig something with set/stop screws in either end . you could use a new dowel piece with a double threaded screw like one often used to attach legs on an upright. stuffing buckskin into the holes at each end may work . where are you putting the t-nut ? is it to bolt the lyre on ? If so you may be better using a threaded insert ..... Check woodworking catalogs like Woodcraft and Rockler for ideas and pictures A good local hardware store may be able to help you

James Kelly
    Owner- Fur Elise Piano Service
    Pawleys Island SC
    (843) 325-4357