CAUT

Expand all | Collapse all

It's All About the Perfect 5th! A Musicological Perspective

• 1.  It's All About the Perfect 5th! A Musicological Perspective

Posted 10 days ago

IT'S ALL ABOUT THE PERFECT 5th: A Musicological Perspective 

I am writing this little essay 'for piano tuners' but 'from the perspective of a musicologist.' Let's talk about what is actually important in music regarding the intervals we use and how we tune.

Overall, perfect fifths are fundamental to the structure and sound of Western music, playing a key role in harmony, chord construction, tuning systems, tonal relationships, and overall musical expression.

The intervals of the octave and the perfect fifth have remained the two most important building blocks in Western music; the octave providing the framework of stability and repetition; and the fifth, generating the primary harmonic driving force, the dominant to tonic cadence.

The 'perfect fifth' is more consonant (consonance vs. dissonance), or stable, than any other interval except the unison and the octave. In some sense, it is even more important than the octave, which I will explain. It occurs above the root of all major (and minor) chords (triads) and their extensions. Until the late 19th century, it was often referred to by one of its Greek name, diapente. Its inversion is the  perfect fourth. The octave of the fifth is the twelfth, hence, the 'Pure-12th Piano Tuning' achieves the musical goal of a 'Perfect 5th.' Violina, violas, and cellos  are tuned in 5ths. The  'Circle of 5ths' is a fundamental concept. So, it wasn't by accident that the first steps towards harmony in Western music, started with the first intervals of the overtone series. The early polyphony of the middle ages consisted in one or more voice parts accompanying the cantus firmus, often in parallel motion using the interval of the octave, fifth or fourth (the first intervals found in the overtone series).    

Harmony: Perfect fifths are considered one of the most consonant intervals in music. When two notes are played a perfect fifth apart, they sound pleasing and stable to the ear. This stability forms the foundation of harmony in Western music.

Chord Building: Perfect fifths are essential for building chords. In traditional Western music theory, chords are often constructed by stacking notes in intervals of a third (major or minor). The perfect fifth is a common interval found in many chords, such as the power chord (used in rock music) and the perfect fifth interval itself forms the basis of the dominant triad in tonal music.

Tuning Systems: Perfect fifths are crucial in tuning systems. In the context of equal temperament tuning (the tuning system commonly used in Western music), the perfect fifth is the interval that is tempered or adjusted to allow all keys to be played equally well. This compromise is necessary to ensure that music can be played in all keys without sounding out of tune.

Functional Harmony: In tonal music, the perfect fifth plays a significant role in establishing tonal centers and creating harmonic tension and resolution. For example, the perfect fifth relationship between the tonic and dominant is fundamental in establishing tonality and creating a sense of resolution when moving from the dominant back to the tonic.

Melodic and Harmonic Context: Perfect fifths are prevalent in melodies and harmonies across various musical genres. They provide a sense of stability, direction, and resolution, contributing to the overall structure and coherence of musical compositions.

On a personal note, in my early years as an orchestral trombonist, it was obvious trombone section's importance included providing underlying support chords. Three trombones can provide a triad chord. The section member who had the 5th had to be 'perfect', even more so than the member who had the 3rd, since half the literature is in a minor key.

Now, let's look at the math. An octave-based equal temperament puts the 5th  at 

2^(7/12) = 1.4983, 

where the perfect 5th is 1.5. 

Therefore, the 5th is 1.955 ¢ flat, since 

1200*log2(1.4983 / 1.5) = -1.955 ¢ or nearly 2 cents flat.

Now let's examine the 5th using the 'Pure 12th System'

3^(7/19) = 1.4989

1200*log2(1.4989 / 1.5) = -1.2347 ¢ 

Therefore, 1.955 – 1.2347  = 0.7203 ¢, or in other words, the Pure 12th System produced a 5th that is ¾ ¢ better to being a perfect 5th. But, more importantly, it produces a Perfect 12th, so that 5th above the octave IS A PERFECT 5th!

Now ask yourself, why would a piano tuner, from a musicological perspective, want to even consider tuning using 3rds, 10ths, 17ths and counting beats from these 3rds? Yes, historically, it is easier to 'count beats' of progressive 3rds, but we now have 'new technology' that eliminates the need for this. The musicologist is telling us about the fundamental importance of the Perfect 5th! We now can achieve it with the 12th!

Steven Norsworthy

May 8, 2024

------------------------------
    Steven Norsworthy
    PianoSens
    Cardiff By The Sea CA
    (619) 964-0101

• 2.  RE: It's All About the Perfect 5th! A Musicological Perspective

Registered Piano Technician
    Posted 10 days ago
    Thanks, Steven, for a perfectly nice exposition of material that the vast majority of us already know. People new to us often underestimate the group. Those with lofty credentials seem to feel the need to set us straight, whether it's getting our house in order or teaching us poor folks what we have spent years learning and know fairly well, thank you very much.

I've seen this same scenario play out several times over my many years.

Richard West

• 3.  RE: It's All About the Perfect 5th! A Musicological Perspective

Posted 10 days ago
    A guy named Jean-Jacques Rameau wrote much the same thing back in 1722 in his Traité de l'Harmonie, Reduit a ses Principes Naturels, ranking the intervals Unison, Octave, Fifth and Fourth, Third and Sixth, and deducing that they should have the same order of precedence as to their purity (hence advocating for ET, defined as a circle of fifths, each of which is slightly narrowed to the same degree).

Later tuners of stringed instruments, wanting to make their fifths more precisely equal in size, added listening to thirds, sixths, and various chords to the tuning process (Claude Montal was prominent among them).

In 1972, Serge Cordier, a French musician and tuner, began writing about tuning a temperament with all just fifths, claiming it was better than temperaments based on narrowed fifths. 

In March 1982, Gary Shulze wrote an article (Influences of Inharmonicity on Aural Tests in Equal Temperament) describing both 3:1 and 6:1 (ie, perfect twelfth and perfect 19th) tuning as an approach that balanced inharmonicity and stretch very well. He gave preference to 6:1. [His name was misspelled Schulze in the Journal, hence appears that way in the Journal Index).

In 2006, Bernhard Stopper began writing publicly in English about perfect 12th tuning (he wrote me that he had first published the ideas in 1988, trademarking "StopperStimmung"). He later developed a software program (Tunic OnlyPure) as a means to achieve that tuning by electronic means. He promised publication of data showing why perfect 12th tuning was clearly superior, but, as far as I know, never followed through. (He also described his "perfect 12th" as "sweet-spotted," which he clarified, in my discussion with him, as somewhat wide, balancing 3:1, 6:2, 9:3).

In 2017-2018, Kent Swafford published a series of 14 articles on the subject of Twenty-First Century Style, in the course of which he described in great detail the perfect 12 temperament style.

This may help readers in establishing the historical precedence of some of these tuning ideas :-)

Regards,
    Fred Sturm
    http://fredsturm.net
    www.artoftuning.com
    "Art is not a mirror held up to reality, but a hammer with which to shape it." Brecht

• 4.  RE: It's All About the Perfect 5th! A Musicological Perspective

Posted 10 days ago

Fred,

I would call myself a 'disciple' of Kent Swafford. We talk nearly every week. He 'converted' me to the Pure 12th. I can really hear the difference using it. Kent listened to my recordings after tuning and really approved of what it achieved. Pianoscope's IH and tuning curves are what I use, along with the sensor of course. That combination nails the 12th so well that it sounds 'hollow' and totally beat-less. The rest of the piano sings with a bell-like clarity that it never did before. Kent and I looked at my tuning curves in Pianoscope. We jointly determined that due to the extremely low IH of this Fazioli, that it was the ideal candidate for the 3:1 only, and set the curve to 3:1, and turned off the 6:2 and 9:3, and it was a wise choice. My 3:1 is nearly perfectly flat.

Thanks for the references. 

I think some on the PTG who read my essay will appreciate the motive of offering a musicology perspective. Most tuners don't have formal music education and degrees. I have gotten to know now about 100 tuners in the past 6 months. Only one has a Masters Degree in Keyboard and is an active performer. I love to teach, it was my 'calling' from a young age. I do not mean to 'talk down' to anyone with the essay. I hope it added perspective to those who have not thought as much about the musicology of pitch perception in music history.

Best and kind regards,

Steve

Steven Norsworthy
    PianoSens
    Cardiff By The Sea CA
    (619) 964-0101

• 5.  RE: It's All About the Perfect 5th! A Musicological Perspective

Posted 9 days ago

Steve-

I appreciate your enthusiasm and agree that the P12 tuning style works nicely, especially for ET.  No argument, however I think we can agree it is the 3rd that provide color, and that is also an important part of our musicological history.  It doesn't have to be either/or.  One thing that wasn't mentioned is that P5ths also imply equal beating triads, which is part of the improved clarity.  However, if we blend that with a subtle variety of color, which is consistent with compositional styles of the majority of music people play on the piano, then in my opinion it takes the whole experience to a even higher musical experience.  It's not good or bad though, it's all good.  The reason I got away from P12 tuning is because it can stretch the 10ths in black keys a little more than my comfort level. 

thanks,

Dennis.  

Dennis Johnson, R.P.T.
    Johnson Piano Service
    djpianoservice@gmail.com
    djpianoservice.com
    612-599-6437

• 6.  RE: It's All About the Perfect 5th! A Musicological Perspective

Posted 9 days ago

Hi Dennis,

If we simply use the Pure12th method as taught by Kent Swafford, then we get the perfect balance between the 5ths at -1.2347¢ and the octaves at +1.2347¢ and then the 3rds take care of themselves automatically. We cannot independently adjust the 5ths, octaves, and 3rds. They are all interdependent. That simply does not work mathematically. However, I am 'yet' to hear anyone say that Pure12th tuning is anything but musically spectacular from a subjective point of view. It provides a special clarity or bell-like sound from being so consonant.

'Equal' means that there is absolutely no bias for any key. 'Tuning Is Math', one of my slogans that says that anything we do to tune an instrument can be described by a mathematical relationship between the notes. If we tune intuitively, it is not duplicatable and requires us to be cloned as human beings! A little humor to make the point. 

Furthermore, the 'high tech' tools allow us to have a nearly 'perfect' implementation that we humans cannot quite achieve, so we don't have to clone ourselves to have others achieve the same great result. That is the breakthrough of high-tech tuning that was not previously available. One of the top aural tuners in the country is a friend of mine, and I told him that we no longer need to clone him (LOL) because we can apply modern high-tech apps and sensors and make a piano sound better in tune than we could even dream of in the past aurally. He did not particularly 'like' that but could not refute it either, especially when I demonstrated it with the most up-to-date advanced app and sensor.

The turn of the 20th Century led to the end of traditional 'tonality' as we knew it in Western Classical Musical Traditions, requiring us to be more 'equal' in our treatment of the notes, ending the notion of key signatures. Subjectively speaking now, a concert pianist has to play a wide variety of material on a program and needs this 'equality' to pull it off. Some may disagree and wish we harkened back to the late 18th century way of tuning unequal temperament. It becomes an emotional argument with them and all I can say is they have the right to like this but it is not the main stream for today.

Best and kind regards,

Steve N.

Steven Norsworthy
    PianoSens
    Cardiff By The Sea CA
    (619) 964-0101

• 7.  RE: It's All About the Perfect 5th! A Musicological Perspective

Posted 8 days ago

Greetings, 
       Steve writes: 
    >>We cannot independently adjust the 5ths, octaves, and 3rds. They are all interdependent. That simply does not work mathematically. However, I am 'yet' to hear anyone say that Pure12th tuning is anything but musically spectacular from a subjective point of view. It provides a special clarity or bell-like sound from being so consonant.<<

I am more in the Dennis camp,  we certainly can independently adjust the fifths and thirds.  It was done for centuries before the sizes of these intervals were allowed to be determined by math alone.  The special clarity and bell-like sound may be of special attraction to some but that is not universa. To wit:  a number of my more advanced customers find that rather than consonant, the sound of ET is like a buzzing unrest and feel their instrument is more resonant in a tuning with some harmonic variety in the keys.  

>>'Equal' means that there is absolutely no bias for any key. 'Tuning Is Math', one of my slogans that says that anything we do to tune an instrument can be described by a mathematical relationship between the notes. If we tune intuitively, it is not duplicatable and requires us to be cloned as human beings! A little humor to make the point. <<

If there is no bias for any key, then what is the purpose of keys? If there were no bias, why would piano composers of the past, (whose compositions comprise the majority of piano performances today) chose any key but the one that were easiest to manipulate the keys? They didn't.  "Cloning" is, imho, far more applicable to the exact copies of a temperament that ET represents. 

>>The turn of the 20th Century led to the end of traditional 'tonality' as we knew it in Western Classical Musical Traditions, requiring us to be more 'equal' in our treatment of the notes, ending the notion of key signatures.<< 

The turn of the 20th Century led to the end of traditional "tonality' in composition, not in performance of the canon that was composed in the era of tonality.  

>>Subjectively speaking now, a concert pianist has to play a wide variety of material on a program and needs this 'equality' to pull it off. <<

Observed experience would indicate otherwise. Many modern compositions are damage-free when performed on a tuning that contains a palette of tonal resources. The loss of perfect equality isn't even discernible (except to the tuners in the audience), while reinforcing the harmonic contrasts in the Classical compositions. In my years a the university, the well-tempered D on stage was chosen more often than the ET one. Even though I switched the tuning from one to the other to remove any influence the individual piano might exert, the Victorian tuning was the one that spoke to the majority of visiting pianists. (No one was ever told that the pianos were in different temperaments, so these were  blind choices)

>>Some may disagree and wish we harkened back to the late 18th century way of tuning unequal temperament. It becomes an emotional argument with them and all I can say is they have the right to like this but it is not the main stream for today.

Many of us harken back to the mid 19th century's style of tuning, which alters the thirds by a very small amount that gives a coloration to the keys.  I think it is fallacy to believe that anything other that 'perfectly equal' is restrictive, as numerous performances have shown.  

Equal temperament has its place as a great resource for convenience, however, it does the same thing to harmony that a click track does to tempo;  it makes it perfectly even, easy to synchronize, universal, and often boring to those that expect music to breathe.  There is nothing magical about the sound of a 14 cent third, and many pianists who have developed a recognition of the alternatives find the complete regularity of equal temperament to be stultifying. For them, music is an emotional event, and a temperament that offers a variety of emotional stimulation (thirds) makes for a deeper emotional response when listening.  
    Regards, 
    Regards,   

• 8.  RE: It's All About the Perfect 5th! A Musicological Perspective

Posted 8 days ago
    Hello Ed,

Your comments bring to my mind a few stories I have heard discussed as well as a question or two. 

A now retired Indiana University piano technician would tell me that whenever he followed up a tuning by another tuner that had used a historical temperament that most all of these tunings ended up turning back into EQ as the temperament was extended out to extremities of the keyboard. My question to you is how do you continue your historical temperament tuning as you implement your stretch on modern pianos? Also, since Pure 12th EQ tuning is really a discussion of how to extend EQ tuning with a balanced amount of stretch through out the keyboard, how do you see yourself accomplishing stretch with unequal temperaments and how do you think about your stretch. In other words, would there be a similar mental debate over unequal temperament stretch such as is brought up with the Pure 12th EQ discussion?

Bob
    Sent from my iPhone

• 9.  RE: It's All About the Perfect 5th! A Musicological Perspective

Posted 8 days ago
    Hi again-

I will throw in only a couple additional comments. It is correct that with stretch toward the last octave of key range in both directions, the intervals do gradually get closer to ET. Not exactly, but closer.  This is interesting, but not a problem in any way.  My understanding is that this happens because inharmonicity increases at a much higher rate than the cent differences from ET.  I handle my octave stretch in much the same way, no matter the temperament.  The easiest way to hear and prove this is to walk down progressive 17ths in the last 9 or 10 notes of the keyboard.  Doing this will also hone in those notes properly ensuring they are not tuned too sharp, as the software likes to do. 

One other thing...  A Victorian tuning style is absolutely duplicable, using User Temperaments.  It's not that difficult to generate numbers and tweak them aurally as needed in your recorded file for that particular piano, in exactly the same way you would do for ET.  I have presented this procedure with my own numbers a few times now and offered it again as a class for the Convention in Reno this summer, but the Committee rejected my proposal.  

Again, it's all good.  I am too old and have been doing it my way with very rewarding results for too many years to worry about being mainstream or not. 

best,
    Dennis. 

--
    Dennis Johnson, R.P.T.
    Facebook.com/johnsonpianoservice
    (612) 599-6437  (cell)

• 10.  RE: It's All About the Perfect 5th! A Musicological Perspective

Posted 8 days ago

Dennis Johnson, Ed Foote, and others of the UT school of tuning, I have some important questions. First a statement:

"TUNING IS MATH" and I think that is indisputable.

So, "Show me the math" you are using, full chromatic outcomes. What happens to your 5ths and 12ths when you tune your UT in the key of C, and then play in the key of Db or the key of F#? What happens when you play a Scriabin or Bartok or Schoenberg, which has no tonality per se?

Let's even harken back to Chopin. Listen to Arthur Rubinstein's Chopin recordings, universally acclaimed as one of the greatest performers of Chopin of all time. Do you not like the sound of the piano overall on those recordings? You know that Franz Mohr probably was the tuner on most of the Rubinstein and Horowitz recordings. You know Franz was not only a ET tuner, but specifically was focused on getting the 5ths / 12ths nearly pure. That was a stated objective of the Steinway company regarding 5ths from what I can gather. 

I want to see all your ratios for full chromatic offsets, so please show me your math. I seriously am skeptical that it will result in an unbiased tonal result that fits the full spectrum of tonal and atonal repertoire without screwing it all up.

Also, if you really have something, then after showing us the math, also show us the recording with good mics and good piano and play all the interval relationships of your UT and let is listen carefully. Then get a highly regarded concert pianist and have them play the full range of repertoire. Let's compare that with Rubinstein or Horowitz recordings which were ET.

Best regards,

Steve N

Steven Norsworthy
    PianoSens
    Cardiff By The Sea CA
    (619) 964-0101

• 11.  RE: It's All About the Perfect 5th! A Musicological Perspective

Posted 8 days ago
    Before Monsieur Rameau "proved" that harmony should be based on natural intervals, and that 1:1, 2:1, 3:2, and 4:3 took precedence over 5:4, 5:3, 6:5 etc. (IOW, unisons, octaves, fifths, fourths over 3rds and 6ths), musicians favored pure thirds and sixths. For fixed pitch instruments, they made the fifths suffer for the sake of the 3rds and 6ths.

Indeed, most instrumentalists in most circumstances favor "pure" 3rds and 6ths, and bend pitch to achieve them, when the music is slow enough and it is possible. The quarrel between 3rds and 5ths has raged for centuries, and cannot be resolved due to the nature of the math. Musical expression for most instruments avoids the constraints of fixed pitch, bending pitch expressively in one way or another.

That said, the piano we tune is a fixed pitch instrument. There was a very interesting experiment a few years back by some Brazilian physicists, using an algorithm that sought to minimize the entropy in a piano tuning by randomly changing the pitch of each note until the total pattern of all the notes achieved the maximum cohesion of partials. They developed a tuning app, first for laptop, then for phone. 

One played each note on the piano. The partials were read and analyzed, and a tuning graph created. It was possible to tune using the app, and it always produced a moderate "Railsback curve" (a stretch similar to the one Railsback documented early in the days of documenting tunings with the Conn Stroboscope). 

This was simply mathematics interacting with the partial structure of notes. I speculated that if they removed the 5th and 7th partials from consideration, the stretch would be larger and closer to what tuners generally do, and offered that suggestion, but never heard back from them. The app is no longer available, but I still have the original program on my laptop and it continues to function.

The basic premise, as demonstrated by the entropy experiment, is that approaching as nearly as possible to matching and reinforcement of partials throughout the piano is a way to achieve cohesion of sound, allowing inharmonicity to be the guide. I've tuned with that in mind for over 40 years, since reading the article by Gary Shulze I mentioned in an earlier post and talking to a visiting concert tuner who had the same basic thing to say: focus on the large intervals like the 19th and triple octave as your guide.

P12 is just one iteration of such a concept. I prefer P19, myself. Coupled with clear unisons throughout, the sound enhances the instrument, it is the sound the instrument "wants" as I see it. (I guess I also need to add that the hammers need to be mated :-) )

Regards,
    Fred Sturm
    fssturm@comcast.net
    Youtube Spotify Deezer Apple Amazon
    www.artoftuning.com
    "Art lives from constraints and dies from freedom." Leonardo

• 12.  RE: It's All About the Perfect 5th! A Musicological Perspective

Posted 8 days ago

Dennis Johnson, Ed Foote, and others of the UT school of tuning, I have some important questions. First a statement:

"TUNING IS MATH" and I think that is indisputable.

>>So, "Show me the math" you are using, full chromatic outcomes. What happens to your 5ths and 12ths when you tune your UT in the key of C, and then play in the key of Db or the key of F#? What happens when you play a Scriabin or Bartok or Schoenberg, which has no tonality per se?

<snip>

I want to see all your ratios for full chromatic offsets, so please show me your math. I seriously am skeptical that it will result in an unbiased tonal result that fits the full spectrum of tonal and atonal repertoire without screwing it all up.<<

Greetings, 

That you would demand a scientific description of sensual qualities leads me to believe you are perhaps not overly familiar with the effects of a tonal palette in an unequal tuning.  "Tuning" is math?  Math can describe any set or size of interval, but it cannot explain the human perception that those intervals create, nor will it explain the composers' choice of key for specific musical effects.   If you really want to juxtapose science and emotional impact, there are numerous studies that demonstrate the effect of dissonance and consonance on the human responses, (all sorts of physically quantifiable responses, from pupil dilation to galvanic skin response to heart-rate, respiration, and blood pressure).  It is not a great stretch to then apply the correlation to sonatas and their various passages' musical intentions.   If we are to take music as an emotional language, these various degrees of consonance are the dialects and inflections that were underpinning much of the great piano literature.  

>>Let's even harken back to Chopin. Listen to Arthur Rubinstein's Chopin recordings, universally acclaimed as one of the greatest performers of Chopin of all time. Do you not like the sound of the piano overall on those recordings? You know that Franz Mohr probably was the tuner on most of the Rubinstein and Horowitz recordings. You know Franz was not only a ET tuner, but specifically was focused on getting the 5ths / 12ths nearly pure. That was a stated objective of the Steinway company regarding 5ths from what I can gather. <<

The "New York Stretch" is a recognized concept among tuners.  I and others find it overly edgy.  I would also suspect the Rubinstein never played a piano tuned in anything but ET, so would never have investigated the changes wrought by perhaps a late 19th century variation of equality.  He would perhaps have been attracted by the contrast, (you do know that the keys with the most highly tempered thirds have the purest fifths).  I also recall that F. Mohr refused to allow any of his tunings  to be analyzed by the advanced electronic machines that were developed in his time.  

>>Also, if you really have something, then after showing us the math, also show us the recording with good mics and good piano and play all the interval relationships of your UT and let is listen carefully. Then get a highly regarded concert pianist and have them play the full range of repertoire. Let's compare that with Rubinstein or Horowitz recordings which were ET. <<

You may want to listen to either of the temperament CD's recorded by Enid Katahn, (a Steinway artist generally regarded as a top flight performer).  However, all the theory and circumstantial evidence of the superiority of ET cannot counteract the real-time, empirical evidence I and others have accumulated over the last 30 years.  I have lost count of how many times I have presented two pianos tuned in ET and a WT to a room full of skeptical technicians at PTG institutes and seminars.  What I haven't lost count of is the overwhelming preference for the non-ET tuning in these situations. Usually by a ratio of 10:1.  The programs ventured around all the keys, and utilized music from Bach to Bartok.   Yes,  atonal compositions such as found by Scriabin or Schoenberg will not make use of the palette, but you may find there is little damage done to them by a medium strength ET.  Debussy is a different story, as I feel his music sounds better in ET than not.  However, I maintain that ET does more damage to Beethoven's music than a WT does to Bartok or Hoagie Carmichael.  

regards, 

Ed Foote RPT

• 13.  RE: It's All About the Perfect 5th! A Musicological Perspective

Posted 8 days ago
     Bob writes: 
    >>A now retired Indiana University piano technician would tell me that whenever he followed up a tuning by another tuner that had used a historical temperament that most all of these tunings ended up turning back into EQ as the temperament was extended out to extremities of the keyboard. My question to you is how do you continue your historical temperament tuning as you implement your stretch on modern pianos? Also, since Pure 12th EQ tuning is really a discussion of how to extend EQ tuning with a balanced amount of stretch through out the keyboard, how do you see yourself accomplishing stretch with unequal temperaments and how do you think about your stretch. In other words, would there be a similar mental debate over unequal temperament stretch such as is brought up with the Pure 12th EQ discussion?<<
    Greetings, 
        The stretch, in my use, affects the octaves' relationships.  It doesn't change the effects of temperament, other than increasing the stretch increases the speed of the thirds.  What is more germane is that the more highly tempered thirds of a UT will be more consonant farther down the keyboard than those in ET, as there is the consideration of the critical band being wider, which allows a lower limit to acceptable dissonance.  
       The major difference in musical effect of a UT diminishes as one goes above the fifth octave, as we do not hear the beat rate speeds the same as when they are produced in the middle of the keyboard.  Once past 15 BPS we don't hear it as tempering, anymore.  However,  there can be distinct differences in the sound of a 17th or greater, as the more highly tempered keys will often produce a beating that is no unlike an operatic voice with coloratura.  
        It is difficult to transmit much useful information intellectually when the subject is sensual in nature.  All the words in the world will not tell a person what a banana tastes like if they have never tasted one.  All the history and logic  in the world will not teach a person what the different interpretation of a Beethoven sonata  in a Young temperament feels like.  It has to be experienced.  It is for this reason I don't hold that one or another temperament is superior, but never investigating the various ways to tune a piano is a recipe for a limited appreciation of any of them. Perfect science doesn't automatically mean perfected art.  
    'We don't know we are in prison if we never try the door...'
    Regards, 

Ed Foote RPT

• 14.  RE: It's All About the Perfect 5th! A Musicological Perspective

Posted 8 days ago

So, unless I can clone one of you (UT proponents, that is) and transmit your intuitive brain processing to others, we can never appreciate the aesthetic superiority of the intuitive approach which is totally individualistic and subjective, and has no fundamental mathematical foundation. -- I see... We all wish that we could take one of you back in a Time Machine and show Rubinstein and Horowitz what 'could have been' (Please forgive the humor, I mean no harm, but playfully put)! Smiles!  --- Steve 

Steven Norsworthy
    PianoSens
    Cardiff By The Sea CA
    (619) 964-0101

• 15.  RE: It's All About the Perfect 5th! A Musicological Perspective

Posted 8 days ago
    >>So, Ed, unless I can clone you and transmit your intuitive brain processing to others, we can never appreciate the aesthetic superiority of the intuitive approach which is totally individualistic and subjective, and has no fundamental mathematical foundation. -- I see... Steve 

Not intuitive, esthetic.  And, it is easily 'cloned' with today's advanced ETD's.  There is certainly no mathematical foundation to the beauty of musical expression as the contrast of a triad with an 18 cent third resolving into a triad with an 8 cent third creates a musical result that cares not a whit about math, instead, relying on the listeners emotional response to determine the value of the change.

Our brains evolved with an exquisite ability to detect and respond to varying levels of dissonance as a survival skill.  That particular circuitry goes to sleep when the level of dissonance is unchanging.   There are many studies of the psycho-emotive response that show that we respond to varying levels of consonance with corresponding levels of engagement. How this applies to musical composition is familiar to those of us that have employed a variety of tuning styles and listened to our customer's feedback.   

"never, superiority, totally, fundamental", all extreme words indicating a desire to make a black and white straw argument.  Steve, do you tune?  Have you any practical experience with the various systems? Have you worked with artists in these systems ?  
    Wondering, 

• 16.  RE: It's All About the Perfect 5th! A Musicological Perspective

Posted 8 days ago

Ed and Dennis,

ANY temperament can be described as a weighted linear equation of various ratios of partials.

Steve

Steven Norsworthy
    PianoSens
    Cardiff By The Sea CA
    (619) 964-0101

• 17.  RE: It's All About the Perfect 5th! A Musicological Perspective

Posted 8 days ago

>>Ed and Dennis,

ANY temperament can be described as a weighted linear equation of various ratios of partials.

Steve<<

Of course they can,  just as facial recognition software proves that any face on this planet can be described by a chunk of computer code.  However, no program is able to tell if that face will be seen as beautiful or ugly.  While the scientist may find some attraction to a set of numbers, what the music listener hears is described by something else. 

The pursuit of a mathematical description of an unequal temperament, (which is a far more complex arrangement of the intervals than ET), is perhaps of interest to the scientist, but is a useless endeavor to the tuner that is tailoring it to the pianist that wants it. And the ability of one tuner to transmit the information to another tuner so that a particular unequal tuning can be replicated is a fairly simple matter.  Perhaps there would be a fraction of a cent difference, but that easily falls below the 'just noticeable threshold" that human perception is capable of, so I submit it is a moot consideration.    

Even if you have the numbers for a 'perfect' equal temperament, down to the .1 cent tolerance, that is of little import to the actual production of that tuning, as pianos' overall stress changes as the strings' tension is  changed, as well as the fact that pianos 'breathe' on a continual basis, even in closely held environrments. To attempt clinical perfection on a concert stage where lights change, audiences change, and HVAC systems change is a doomed effort, so the perfection that a numerical description might indicate isn't really what one will end up with, regardless of effort. 
    Regards,

• 18.  RE: It's All About the Perfect 5th! A Musicological Perspective

Posted 7 days ago

Here are the intervals played and recorded after I tuned Pure12ths: Playing 5ths, Octaves, 12ths, consecutively and chromatically.

https://soundcloud.com/snorsworthy/piano-tuning-check-with-5ths-8ths-12ths

Steven Norsworthy
    PianoSens
    Cardiff By The Sea CA
    (619) 964-0101

• 19.  RE: It's All About the Perfect 5th! A Musicological Perspective

Posted 6 days ago
    I think for most of us this is an old debate and I'm not interested in trying to convert someone who doesn't get it.  That's fine, no big deal.  There is a problem however when you try to reduce everything we do to numbers on a piece of paper. We use Math to define and understand tuning theory, but Math can not show us how to perfectly shape unisons with an improved sustain, or disguise 2 wires that don't exactly match harmonically, or make subtle interval corrections from the software template, or decide exactly what octave is best in small grand over the break, etc....   If there is any Art in the Craft we exercise, it is in those aesthetic judgements.  Some people are more comfortable and confident with aesthetic judgments than others. That's just how it is, and no big deal.  Can you be a successful tuner otherwise? Of course. 

We can reduce any tuning theory to numbers, and that's been done many times.  This discussion kind of took a curve from it's original thread, but my primary point is only that there isn't one and one only proven best method that puts all others to shame.  I have no time to argue or defend my method against someone who doesn't understand it and never tried it.  I have tried the other methods and I acknowledge their value, just not for me. 

thanks,
    Dennis. 

--
    Dennis Johnson, R.P.T.
    Facebook.com/johnsonpianoservice
    (612) 599-6437  (cell)

• 20.  RE: It's All About the Perfect 5th! A Musicological Perspective

Posted 6 days ago
    Dennis writes:
    >>If there is any Art in the Craft we exercise, it is in those aesthetic judgements.  Some people are more comfortable and confident with aesthetic judgments than others. That's just how it is, and no big deal.  Can you be a successful tuner otherwise? Of course. <<

I agree, and the truth of that statement is proven by the numerous tuners I have encountered that made a living with tunings that would have failed the current PTG tests by huge margins.  The fact of the marketplace is that it isn't necessary to do a 90% accurate tuning to have loyal customers for years.  Craftsmanship can be taken to the level of art, (for those that ever heard a Garlick  or Betts tuning, you know), but art isn't necessary to make a living tuning pianos as the demand for the 99% tuning is a minor part of the trade. \

>> my primary point is only that there isn't one and one only proven best method that puts all others to shame.  I have no time to argue or defend my method against someone who doesn't understand it and never tried it.  I have tried the other methods and I acknowledge their value, just not for me. <<

My primary point is that there is no one way to temper a piano that is superior to all else.  I have probably made more money over my career selling my ET than anything, but I have developed the most loyal customers with something else.  What I encourage is that technicians have more than one temperament to offer, as different situations are best served by different approaches. 
    Regards, 

• 21.  RE: It's All About the Perfect 5th! A Musicological Perspective

Posted 6 days ago
    Dennis,

The most perfectly sustained unisons come from the most perfectly in tune unisons. If the unisons are spread by 0.5¢, there is a loss of 6 dB on the attack. I have a full and exact analysis. The best I have seen a human tuner objectively do is about 0.5¢ ear tuning. I did this with a concert tuner par excellence who has tuned for nearly every major artist from Ashkenazy, Brendel, to name a few. When I showed him the result and then showed him on the spot how to get it to 0.1 ¢ with the Freeze window of Pianoscope and the PianoSens sensor, he said, “I have never heard anything like that so clear and sustained in my life”. So there you go. I have numerous concert tuners now using this method and without exception, the same type of reaction. Sustain is all about crossover beating between the mis-tuned unisons, and it is ‘impossible’ to get more sustain than perfectly tuned unisons, and you cannot get better than using the Freeze window and a sensor.

Best,
    Steve

• 22.  RE: It's All About the Perfect 5th! A Musicological Perspective

Posted 6 days ago
    Mr. Roberts contrasts recently tuned WT and ET by demoing chromatic 3rds so you can hear the effect/contrast of what's going on in both temperament styles more easily. He also discusses the 5ths. He seems open to exploring UT more in the future. Perhaps David P. did this tuning?

Steve Norsworthy's demo of the P12 is played so fast I don't really hear or  appreciate it as much as I should. 

I'm well familiar with the P12, since I adopted it
    when Mr. Stopper first introduced it or early on,
    anyhow. There was much discussion and buzz about it
    at that time. 

As regards Franz Mohr, from discussion here in the past, I believe it was claimed that he once stated that he didn't stretch the treble much. I'm pretty sure he was an aural tuner and did not rely on ETDs. I'm familiar
    with his work through recordings and live performances.
    I would not call his tunings sound the same as what we're hearing with P12.

There is one video of him tempering
    4ths vs 5ths as advocated by Steinway.

I'm following this discussion and will begin using
    the new mic I purchased soon. I appreciate all the
    good points made by each and every tuner commenting.

Richard

--
     Richard Adkins 
     Keyboard Tuning and Maintenance
     Curator of Instruments 

Notice:
    This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual to whom it is addressed. This message contains confidential information and is intended only for the individual named. If you are not named you should not disseminate, distribute or copy this email. Please notify the sender immediately and delete this email from your system.

Warning: Although the sender has taken reasonable precautions to ensure no viruses are present in this email, the sender cannot accept responsibility for any loss or damage arising from the use of this email or attachments.

• 23.  RE: It's All About the Perfect 5th! A Musicological Perspective

Posted 6 days ago

Richard, my sustains are about 2 sec per attack. That is more than enough. Kent Swafford liked the demo and gave me the feedback before I made the SoundCloud posting. I also played for 4 pro tuners in my house on my Fazioli F308 and every single one of them said it was the best and most in-tune piano they have EVER heard. Every one of them were late-60's early 70's age and all had 30+ years of pro tuning. One of them said that my piano virtually sounded 'inhuman' and 'beat-less' on the 5ths, octaves, 12ths. --- Steve

Steven Norsworthy
    PianoSens
    Cardiff By The Sea CA
    (619) 964-0101

• 24.  RE: It's All About the Perfect 5th! A Musicological Perspective

Posted 6 days ago
    For those planning to attend the convention in Reno, there will be an opportunity to hear a piano tuning in UT, specifically Bill Bremmer's Equal-beating Victorian Temperament. I will perform a brief (about 30 minute) concert on it. 

It will be similar to what was done in Arlington last summer, except I hope there will be a quieter venue (in Arlington, this took place in an open foyer, and lots of people were passing through and talking). Probably between 1st and 2nd period Wednesday. Precise details have not yet been nailed down.

Regards,
    Fred Sturm
    www.artoftuning.com
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness." Twain