Harpsichord

View Only
  • 1.  Keys picking up two conflicting jacks.

Registered Piano Technician
    Posted 04-24-2023 12:03

Hello.  We have a Herz harpsichord at the university.  When using the 4 ft stop pedal, two different keys will pick up the jacks a half step lower at the same time.  All the rest work fine.  I tried adjusting how far it shifts but it didn't help.  It is so far into the harpsichord I can't see anything, even looking down through the guide holes.  I might try an endoscope.  I didn't want to start taking things apart just yet.  I wanted to ask you all first.

Thanks for your insights.
    Robert

------------------------------
    Robert Callaghan RPT
    Reno NV
    (775) 287-2140

• 2.  RE: Keys picking up two conflicting jacks.

Posted 04-24-2023 12:15
    My first guess would be warped keys. Shifting the jacks won't move their bottoms significantly, so they are always spaced to the keys whether on or off. 

Turn off the 4', remove the jack rail and see if the offending keys are lifting two jacks. 
    Regards,
    Fred Sturm
    "A mind is not a vessel to be filled, but a fire to be kindled." Plutarch

• 3.  RE: Keys picking up two conflicting jacks.

Posted 04-24-2023 14:37
    If it's a 'transposable' instrument, be sure the keyboard/s have not shifted. Are the jacks in their proper numbered positions? Have you tried taking out the and reinserting the problem jacks? Has anyone else been 'working' on the instrument?

Just curious about your Herz, Are all the stops operated by pedals? Does it have zither type square head tuning pins? are the tuning pins sufficiently tight?

Jonathan Moberg
    Moberg Piano Sales & Service
    414-962-2227

• 4.  RE: Keys picking up two conflicting jacks.

Posted 04-24-2023 14:46

Herz made some of the first plastic jacks. Sometimes plastic jacks warp. 
    Remove the problem jacks and see if they are warped.
    If so, gentle heat and counterbending should fix them.

Ed Sutton
    ed440@me.com
    (980) 254-7413

• 5.  RE: Keys picking up two conflicting jacks.

Posted 04-25-2023 10:38
    Thank you all.  A warped key or a warped jack seem the most likely.  It is a transposable keyboard.  It isn't shifted and I checked the jack numbers.  The stops are pedals.  Tuning pins are square and tight.

Robert