Voicing

View Only
  • 1.  Laquer to brighten up a boston console

Posted 11-26-2023 14:06

One of my church  clients has a Boston Console in their fellowship hall.  The choir director says he hates it because it sounds so muffled.  Their four other pianos are Yamahas and are very bright-which he likes.  I know that lacquering the hammers will brighten it up, but how much would one use?  Is there a spray or do you apply it another way?  I know just enough to be dangerous when it comes to the lacquer aspect

------------------------------
    Patrick Greene
    OWNER
    Knoxville TN
    (865) 384-6582

• 2.  RE: Laquer to brighten up a boston console

Registered Piano Technician
    Posted 11-27-2023 06:05

Hi Patrick, 

I pour 1 part of a nitrocellulose lacquer to 4-5 parts of either acetone or lacquer thinner into a 16oz bottle. Soak the hammers and let them dry overnight.  Then, come back to needle and file the next day. Sometimes, I coat the upper register a 2nd time. 

I like to buy my lacquer from www.stewmac.com.  I usually get the clear gloss. 

I've have very successful results, but know that a Boston will never sound like a Yamaha.  You can get them to come up in tone, but they still won't be as bright. 

Good luck! 

Barbara Campbell, RPT
    Barbara@pitchperfectpianos.com
    404-884-5136

• 3.  RE: Laquer to brighten up a boston console

Posted 11-27-2023 08:59
    greetings, 

I think I would mix a 6:1 solution of acetone and lacquer and give each hammer eight or ten drops right on the crown.  I don't think your choir director is looking for tonal range as much as attack...
    Regards,

• 4.  RE: Laquer to brighten up a boston console

Posted 11-28-2023 11:31
    Yes, you could apply it right on the crown. I would veer slightly off for more power. You might consider using B-72 if going right on the crown.

Vince Mrykalo  드림

An error in thinking does not become truth by reason of multiplied propagation, nor does truth become error because nobody sees it.

OSU  Greenwood School of Music

Visit my blog at:  http://mrykalopiano.blogspot.com/

• 5.  RE: Laquer to brighten up a boston console

Posted 11-27-2023 12:00
    Apply it so that it goes into the felt a good way into it. I would apply it a little off the crown on the underside of each hammer and let it soak in about half way or so underneath the surface of the crowns. Of course you will have to take the action out for this.

Vince Mrykalo  드림

An error in thinking does not become truth by reason of multiplied propagation, nor does truth become error because nobody sees it.

OSU  Greenwood School of Music

Visit my blog at:  http://mrykalopiano.blogspot.com/

• 6.  RE: Laquer to brighten up a boston console

Posted 11-28-2023 12:52

Thank you all for the good suggestions.

Patrick Greene
    OWNER
    Knoxville TN
    (865) 384-6582